Others games like DM

This is an archive of posts from the Unofficial Dungeon Master website, run by Daniel Durgan. It was the first DM web site and disappeared from the web in 2000. This archive is for reference only.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
omera
Novice

Others games like DM

Post by omera »

Ok.... I'm in need of a good DM clone, or dm-like! I want to play such a game, I do like them, I want another one! I played Crystal Dragon, Black Crypt, CSB, DM, Bloodwych, EOB1-2-3, DM2... and I still want to play such wondeful games! Can anyone advice me with a good game?
Thanks!
+Dominic Holmes

Post by +Dominic Holmes »

Captive is an excelent DM clone, by Anthony Crowther, on the Amiga, ST and PC. Levels are generated by some kind of 'seeded' random level generator, so the game will last for a long time (AFAIK no one has completed it yet). The sequel "Captive 2: Liberation" leans more to the adventure-RPG side, but is still an impressive achievement, and is well worth looking into. Crowther also made Knightmare, which is similar to Captive, but in a fantasy setting, rather than sci-fi.
+ozb

Post by +ozb »

yeah Captive was pretty cool too and *long* but I remember there was a bug in the amiga version where one code for a door was missing. This was really frustrating !
+Dominic Holmes

The infamous Phoopel bug...
I think that this was fixed in later versions of the game, though it's quite disturbing as it may indicate a defect in the random level generator, meaning later levels maybe 'bugged'
IIRC, the PC version I have doesn't have the bug.
+Paul

Post by +Paul »

Have you tried this site: http://web.ukonline.co.uk/mdpontiac/ They have all kinds of DM/RPG for download for FREE!!
+Lopez

About Captive...

Post by +Lopez »

I got completely fed up with this game after 7 or 8 levels. Seemed a bit too easy: just kill the monsters, and you'll do just fine (only problem being exterminating _wads_ of them).
Try the Finnish "City Beneath the Surface", even though ugly and not comparable to DM/CSB (what is?), has custom made dungeons and some plot elements. ... oh, you'll find it from www.finnishgames.com
Oh... I waited 7 years to get (i.e. download 4 free) the Captive, imagine the disappointment.
+Niklas

Re: Others games like DM

Post by +Niklas »

I can´t remember the name of the game (perhaps you mentioned it already), it was a DM-style game on the amiga. The best thing was that you could play it in multiplayer mode on one computer with 2 parties. For example, one group could go fighting some monsters, while the other one was looking for food. In single player it was pretty boring. Is there a PC version of black crypt? I think that Black Crypt was the only DM-clone worth playing.
+ozb

Post by +ozb »

You're talking about Bloodwych which was pretty cool (except for the sounds). I know a mission disk for bloodwych exists but I haven't seen it anywhere on the net.
+Dominic Holmes

Bloodwych site + data disk

For Bloodwych related information (and also the data disk), you could try this site:
http://members.xoom.com/post187
+Chaos

Post by +Chaos »

Well, you should try Crystal Dragon, it is much like eye beholder/dungeon master/black crypt. Those games, other than the ultima series tops my fave all time RPGs.
+Overdoc

Post by +Overdoc »

Try 'Abandoned Places I & II' for the Amiga - I finished the first and it was excellent...
Overdoc
+Halk Wonderbarbarian

Post by +Halk Wonderbarbarian »

Hired guns, Legends of Valour, Ishar 1-3, Legend of Arseman all very good dm games i think.
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

Let's not forget Westwoods other masterpieces (in addition to EOBs), Lands of Lore.
omera
Novice

Post by omera »

Ok, where can I find abandoned places for Amiga????? The pc version i get didn't work.....
Thanks!