Dmute & Fireball Holes

This is an archive of posts from the Unofficial Dungeon Master website, run by Daniel Durgan. It was the first DM web site and disappeared from the web in 2000. This archive is for reference only.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ian Clark
Um Master

Dmute & Fireball Holes

Post by Ian Clark »

In DMute, how do I get fireball / poison / dagger holes to work? I have tried just about everything, please help me.
+Francis

Post by +Francis »

Hex editing is what you need.
Byte1 & Byte2 = Trap Type Byte3, Byte4 & Byte 5 = ignore Byte6 = Power from 0 to F
Trap Types: Byte1,Byte2 8,0 => Fireball 8,1 => Lightning Bolt 8,3 => Poison Bolt 88,0 => Poison Blob 88,1 => Des Ew spell 88,3 => Poison Cloud
9,2 => Torch (Burnt Out) 9,3 => Torch (Burnt Out) 9,10 => Dagger 9,1A => Slayer Arrow 9,1B => Rock 9,1C => Throwing Star 9,40 => Boulder 89,2 => Torch (Burnt Out) 89,3 => Torch (Burnt Out) 89,19 => Arrow 89,1B => Poison Dart
To double the output of a trap, add two to the first byte, e.g.: A,0 => Double fireballs.
Fire/poison/dagger holes are not required to make the trap work. Just use a standard open/activate on the space in question. Unfortunately, it doesn't work unless the trap is facing North, although there are some examples facing other directions in the original dungeon.
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

Thanks, that works but:
a) how do i get them to fire contsantly (like when you return the activated firestaff
b)can i get them to fire des ew (weaken non material) spells?