The beta

This is an archive of posts from the Unofficial Dungeon Master website, run by Daniel Durgan. It was the first DM web site and disappeared from the web in 2000. This archive is for reference only.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
+H@tchet

The beta

Post by +H@tchet »

Here's the beta of the dungeon game.. it doesn't really do anything yet, though, aside from letting you walk around the dungeon. It should give you a good idea of what to expect in future versions, though.
Dungeon Beta (http://resonance.lagworld.com/pub/DungBeta.zip)
-H@tchet

PS. I'm still looking for suggestions for a story for the game I'm going to make with the engine... :)
+Lucky Charms

Post by +Lucky Charms »

The beta looks good . . . but here are a couple of suggestions:
1) Dungeon master was not written for 320 x 240 pixels, it was written for 320 x 200. That's why the graphics look squished. If you imported monsters from DM, they would look squished. The DM screen is almost square. I don't know if Verge allows you to change display resolution, but it should.
2) Insert a delay between each step in the dungeon so that you can't travel at light speed. If not, the game begins to feel like a turn-based game instead of a real-time game (e.g. moria/rogue instead of DM).
3) Suggestion for game (reiterated): a faithful replica of the original. This is the only way that you're going to get the engine perfect. Why? First of all, because everybody here knows the game inside out, and would soon spot something not quite right. Secondly, it's the only way you can assure you have every single aspect of the engine right. A lot of it has to do with timing, delays, etc. (see #2), but perhaps AI too. I'm assuming you're trying to recreate the original DM/CSB engine yet give it capacity to do more things. If not, I guess this isn't a fair suggestion, but it's certainly what it _looks_ like you're trying to do.
4) Suggestions for new game: keep it all underground, but have cities and NPC's to interact with. Kind of like Menzoberranzean (or however you spell it!) from the Dark Elf series by R.A. Salvatore. Or maybe they already did one of those, but not in first person I don't think. I think traps and puzzles are an essential part of DM, and are really what make it stand out. Maybe the characters could be trying to break into a heavily guarded (both by machines (traps) and monsters) underground city/fortress/whatever. Then once inside, it could still be all fortress-like and cool with puzzles and stuff, but now the game would be more open and you'd have to figure out what to do with what where, what to say to whom, etc. (like King's Quest but first person 3D and not so cliche!). Or you could just make the whole game like that. This would allow for a lot more plot development (DM was basically this: get the three RA keys, go all the way back and get the firestaff, go get the power gem (after killing/running away from dragon), go kill chaos, save the world. Unless you happened to read the little manual that came with it but that was just a prelude to the pretty basic plot). I always thought that a really futuristic game _without_ guns would be cool too.
5) There isn't really a number five.
Hope this helps :)
+H@tchet

Post by +H@tchet »

1) Well, I could run the game in 320x200 mode; I just didn't think it was necessary. If you want to see it in that mode, though, just edit user.cfg and change the video mode in there.
2) Delays will be next on my to-do list. :)
3) Well, I'm only basing my engine on Dungeon Master, although I am borrowing heavily from it. I want to be able to make my own game eventually, not make an exact replica. I'll still be incorperating many elements of DM though, don't worry. :)
4) Alot of cool ideas there. A little vague, though...
+H@tchet

Post by +H@tchet »

1) Well, I could run the game in 320x200 mode; I just didn't think it was necessary. If you want to see it in that mode, though, just edit user.cfg and change the video mode in there.
2) Delays will be next on my to-do list. :)
3) Well, I'm only basing my engine on Dungeon Master, although I am borrowing heavily from it. I want to be able to make my own game eventually, not make an exact replica. I'll still be incorperating many elements of DM though, don't worry. :)
4) Alot of cool ideas there. A little vague, though...