What browser are you using?

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

What browser is your favorite?

Internet Explorer
30%
Internet Explorer with any upgrade (like crazy browser etc)
30%
Netscape Navigator
20%
Mozilla
No votes
Opera
No votes
AOL-Browser
No votes
other...
20%

Total votes: 10

sucinum
Pal Master

What browser are you using?

Post by sucinum »

thats something im simply interested in. i was using ie 5.5 for a long time, but after i found out, there is no way to install SP2 for it anymore, which was needed for some security-update and i managed to crash it totally during that procedure, i was without a browser.
so i tried out mozilla and was VERY happy with tabbed browsing, but VERY unhappy with its speed and the fact, it couldnt read my ie-cookies.
now im using ie 6 with all patches and service packs and the "crazy browser" upgrade, which provides me with tabbed browing, a popupkiller and some other useful stuff.
if i forgot an important one in the poll, post it ;)
i think editing a phpbb-poll crashes it (at least at an another board im using).
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

I put my vote in other although to be honest Slimbrowser is IE core, not tried Crazybrowser. btw all my buds are moving to it :)
Don't be scene or herd!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

What's this 'crazy browser' upgrade? I must admit the non-tab browsing is killing my resourses, so i was tempted to move to mozilla to get away fom ie 6 killing my machine so much
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

the url is http://www.CrazyBrowser.com
i personally like it very much, i can use the core (and cookies!) of IE combined with the comfort of other browsers. crazybrowser kills about 2-5% of my cpu-power (ok, thats 500 mhz) and needs about 30 mb of ram. thats more than mozilla, but it runs faster for that ;)

Post by Guest »

I used Crazy Browser, but I have switched to MyIE2 http://www.myie2.com/ which is even better with lots of useful features.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

oops, I posted without being logged in...
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Too much effort installing other browsers since the use of IE is sort of implemented genetical knowledge by now... what great advantages can browsers give you if you only need to view various internet sites ? Or are there browsers killing spam and advertisements ?

Regards, PitD
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

they are killing spam and advertisements, at least most of it :)
and these upgrades are easy to install and dont harm IE in any way ;)
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Ok. Installed crazy browser, will test it wfor a while. Looks nice though. Let's see if it's worth it.

Regards, PitD
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

and personally as someone that browses by opening multiple windows all the time (it's a disease) i find ie6 kills my cpu, AND seems to memory leak so eventually my poor win 98 system dies a death due to no resourses (even if no applications open!)
dunno if i can blame ie or 98 for that, but it's definitely all microsoft's fault!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

win 98 is pretty bad as is. It's one of the versions still known to corrupt it's own dll's. It'd be my main advice to switch to 2k if you can.
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

Tried CrazyBrowser, still think theSlimBrowser IE remodel is better.
Don't be scene or herd!
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

With Win98 you can't expect too much, Fuzzy. I have an old computer at home and some multiple windows (up to 6 or 7) work fine, but more won't go unnoticed.

Regards, PitD
Seeker19
Apprentice

Post by Seeker19 »

Like PitD, I find my behavior ingrained by long experience with one browser...but in my case, it's Navigator, not IE. I managed to move from Lynx to Mosaic to Navigator years ago and have been happy ever since. While I have IE installed on my systems for site testing, I find the interface annoying and the security options not to my taste. It's amusing to me that, after all the hullabaloo, Microsoft was still able to engineer an almost complete turnover in how the non-AOL world browses the web in the course of about two years.

Seeker19