OT:Maybe I'm not looking hard enough or its just me

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Jardice
Artisan

OT:Maybe I'm not looking hard enough or its just me

Post by Jardice »

But doesn't it seem like that the internet is getting less and less active everyday? It's like people have either lost intrest in it, somehow had their free time shorted greatly(some of you older members would probably be able to relate), etc.

I can remember when I first got on in 1995(had a cheap ass computer then) the internet was the big fad..I mean there was so many projects being worked on, some even finishing on time as well, lots of web sites were active as well along with alot of non broken links....

I wonder what happend over the years...did it just lose it's charm or was it too many legal issues/abundance of kids/etc.

What do you people think? Discuss.

Note: This was a cut and paste job from another board I posted so if the structure looks bad i'll fix it ASAP. I'm just a bit curious on this topic.It does seem weird to post this when I just joined though...
Meaningless quote:
Words cannot have meaning unless they're given a meaning, words cannot benifit or harm unless they are allowed to.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I think that the areas in which you've seen bustling with action but have fallen into deep missuse, are those that are old and forgotten. There are a great many sites that are full of action and excitement.

My first DM website got as many as 100 hits in a week at one point and then over time dropped to .. I think it's about 3 a week now. :) The main reason being that I can't really update it all the time. That, and I'm none too sure what to add and if it's worth it. My artwork has jumped a notch or two since I last did one of the charcaters.. so it's likely I'll have a whole bunch of crap ass ones and one good one which means I need to redo them all.

So, now I focus more on this website which as you can see is much more healthy (at the moment) than some of the others. It's all because I've passed off power to other users who are able and willing to help make it a place to hang out and deal with DM. Gambit in particular has been important in that by making sure everything has worked right when things were moved around and adding to the layout those things we needed.

However, Ian, Christophe, Beowuuf, Andy, and ZPC all help as well with the modeerating and keeping forums active.. it's all this community that will keep this place going.. If it were just me.. I'm not sure how well I could maintain it and it would likley have died.

just theories.. but I think they are relatively sound..
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

Those theroies are indeed highly sound. I have run into some good, if not great, new web sites and projects that were busting with good activity and discussions.

And yes you are absolutely correct from what i've experienced on the internet. Communites have kept alot of old sites/project/idea/etc. alive for a great amount of time esp the one who like to share their ideas and opinions with others(getting a high amout of support form the menbers is a huge plus). Having a great and understanding web staff(like this one for ex.) is also a big plus as well.

My only grpie(can't think of a better word at the moment) is that a good chunk of sites that I have been to seem to be run by Admin who really have this 'I am the admin so I can do what I want blah blah blah, You get banned cause I don't like you' or sites that, applying to my ideals, tell you how you should enjoy your visit when visiting a web site. I personally do not like being told 'how to enjoy myself' being that as an adult I should be able to determing whether or not that I am 'enjoying' my stay.

Sorry if I've board everyone from that long post.I still would like to hear what others here think about the internet today.
Meaningless quote:
Words cannot have meaning unless they're given a meaning, words cannot benifit or harm unless they are allowed to.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

There's simply a lot of "forgotten" places out there that should go into the trashcan, but a lot of still maintained sites are bustling with activity - as far as I noticed. Even here there's a lot of people coming back regularly to check news about games developed more than a decade ago - nah, I wouldn't say the Internet community is less active.

Regards, PitD
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I noticed that there are more visits than posts.. lot's of people logged in but never posting or logging in a guest..

Many lurkers, it's very important that new content is generated so as a way of promoting that it's good to give some kind of reward or responsibility to those who provide a lot to the community as I have done here.. at least that's my thought. I would hate for this place to die simply because I didn't want to share. I feel a community is run by it's people.. So ideas and suggestions are always thought over and many implemented.. I try to get votes on things that should be done especially if they are big changes. It just seems to make sense to me. Let's see though if it holds true.

and don't worry.. it's not boring.. I like a good discussion.
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

cowsmanaut wrote:I noticed that there are more visits than posts.. lot's of people logged in but never posting or logging in a guest..
In response to that, in some cases I have done the same thing, from my internet experience(or maybe it was bad luck :lol: ) I have joined a good number of, to me, message boards that were very unfriendly to it's members.
cowsmanaut wrote:Many lurkers, it's very important that new content is generated so as a way of promoting that it's good to give some kind of reward or responsibility to those who provide a lot to the community as I have done here.. at least that's my thought.
I wholeheartly agree. I help moderate a site for younger RPG game makers so I know the feeling (unfortunatly the program they use is illegal but alot of them are good kids so it doesn't bother me too much)
cowsmanaut wrote:I would hate for this place to die simply because I didn't want to share. I feel a community is run by it's people.. So ideas and suggestions are always thought over and many implemented.. I try to get votes on things that should be done especially if they are big changes. It just seems to make sense to me. Let's see though if it holds true.
I'll try to help this community out as well. Just don't know where to begin... :?
cowsmanaut wrote:and don't worry.. it's not boring.. I like a good discussion.
:)
Meaningless quote:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

One theory i heard is that its not that there aren't as many good or original ideas out there still, but the signalto noise ratio is so much higher - harder to find the good thigns amongst al lthe strange crap out there...and as has also been pointed out, without some form of encouragement alot of the time you tend to let thigns slide as real life gets i nthe way

one newish thing out there that has flourished with support is
www.redvsblue.com - for those who haven't seen it, it's a comedy movie serial using the halo engine about the red army vs the blue....check it out and download the first few episodes
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Just to add my 2 pence worth: I think Beowuuf (Fuzzface to his friends!) has hit the nail on the head with the signal-to-noise simile -- it's simply that there is so much more stuff out there, and most of it's rubbish, so it's difficult to find the good stuff.

The red vs. blue is excellent -- found that a few weeks ago and dowloaded the whole lot -- a good laugh (although the later episodes are a bit hit and miss, the early ones will tickle you if you play any kind of team based FPS...)

Other sites I visit regulary are mainly development sites these days, for news on the latest web stuff, but there are a few other regular places that are worth a visit:

www.atomfilms.com
www.ninjai.com (been following this from the start)
www.shockwave.com
www.theforce.net (for star wars uber geeks)

Oh, and check out Pink Five, the winner of the Star Wars Fan Films -- it like, totally rocks. Whatever!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, and of course if you are UK based the worl'd first simulatneous internet and cinema released film was released yesterday - www.thisisnotalovestory.com
You need windows media player 9 and about 2 - 3 pounds, not havign the first i haven't seen it yet
But great idea...
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

Hmm I didn't realize There was a version 9 or Windows media player. Are there any new feature added to it?

Yeah the signal-to-nosie ratio bit does seem high like beowuuf has stated. I've witness alot of good projects being sent to the graveyard because of the lack of support thet they deserve. What's also makes it sad is that the projects are on hold for quite a long time without any word from the creator leaving the fans in the blue.

I'll check those posted sites out later...Verizon giving my dad the runaround with the modem installation so it may be a little while.
Meaningless quote:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Don't know, must have some features for this internet buying/streaming thing though

Otherwse i've never gone for downloading it, the user agreement scares me...sounds worse for 10...
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Media Player has gotten more difficult in the handling, too and allows Microsoft more (official) access to your user data if you don't make a few changes in the options. Brave new world out there...

Regards, PitD
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

hmm...That doesn't sound like a good thing considering all the spam and pop up ads i've been getting. Who knows what MS is doing with that data.

I'll stick with an older version for the time being.. 8)
Meaningless quote:
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

if the pop ups you've been getting say "messenger" and they are in a windows error like window.. then that's a setting in windows called "windows messenger" (not MSN messenger) that someone's hacked and bill doesn't want to fix.

if that's what it is I can tell you how to make them go away.. I was getting 12-20 a day
ParuNexus
Adept

Post by ParuNexus »

gee nice change of topic, something all to common online :)
I've noticed all that stuff. infact I have first hand experince a community that had become part of(more like close family not like "our own DM" community). I originally joined i guess 6 years ago maybe. things changed, most due to people leaving and coming. it's moved around alot But i've remained and to this day it is still around. some people who where there originally have left and prettymuch droped out of contact, others have talked to me before but didn't return and some have done both. new groups of people came and left some remained some left...

Everyone in that community is alittle "crazy" making for intresting messages and content :) Activity does raise and lower but it's a mystery how some tihngs die out or some people leave.
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

That's real life for you. It seems to have a good strong grip on our internet life..eventually yanking it away from us when we least expect it. It seems to be the leading cause of comuites dying and site falling into limbo.

But at the same time I can't shake the feeling that RL is also used as an excuse for site failures....

Cow: I currently don't have WMP 9 on my comnputer right now so I am not getting any pop up ads at this time But I would like how to avoid them in the future when I might need this upgrade.
Meaningless quote:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

a friend of mine got those a few times, and since it was through a firewall he was not happy
i think he tracked it down to a gapping icq security hole...could just be coincidence they went when he stopped using it...
cow

I'm not logged in.. WTF

Post by cow »

control panel. Then go to administrative tools. then choose services. And then hunt down one called messenger. or windows messenger... I think it's just messeneger but it's been a while since I turned it of manualy.

Anyway, turn that off and they cant take advantage of it.