Hex Editing in DMute

Use this forum to discuss dungeon editors and other tools, like DMute (by George Gilbert, also working for RTC dungeons), DM Builder (by Sphenx), and ADGE by `rain. Includes DM editing tips and tricks.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
sucinum
Pal Master

Hex Editing in DMute

Post by sucinum »

To be honest, that is a part of DMute i don't understand too much by myself. But i still could work around it by using this guide by beowuuf:
http://www.dmjump.net/hextut.doc
(if i could, almost anyone can ;))
Just wanted to sticky this, because without a manual, you can be lost (like i was).
Feel free to post comments or questions here :)
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

I'll probably be opening Pandora's box now ... anyway: I had a good look at Beowuuf's manual which contains excellent -however very uncoherent- advice on hex editing. To be understood correctly: there is an enormous amount of valuable information in there, collected over a long time, but I'm having a lot of problem with many remarks and deductions. For example, I could -despite various tries- not finish the "simple" example dungeon at the end successfully - and I think I tried for nearly a day if I remember correctly.

So...where does that leave us ? My question is: are the bits and pieces of knowledge that have been discovered since this manual was written to fill up some of the gaps available in written form, because I for my part have discarded hex editing since then for I just do not have the time to fiddle around so long over a "small" puzzle to find out how a tiny part of this works definitely.

Comments and suggestions very much appreciated. And again: a great effort, Beowuuf, not at all meant as criticism in you direction. Without this I'd not even have been able to give it a serious try!

Regards, PitD
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

i never tried that ;)
i didnt ever use torch-holders and stuff, only shooters and chesting. you don't really need to much hex-editing, but it is an interesting field.
when creating the prison and imprisoned again, i spent about 80% of the time in drawing sketches and stuff and the least time in fiddling with dmute ;)
so i don't really understand why people fear dmute itself, when planning to design a dungeon - it's still the least work on the dungeon...much harder to get an idea ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

no, its ok, i think i said right out of the gate that it hasn't been tightened and is very waffling
Sorry the tutorial didn't work out though...that is a MAJOR issue and, if i ever get round to looking at the manual again i will be sure to correct it! exactly what you did and where it went wrong would be greatly appreciated! : )

umm, i don't think there are many gaps, in that any extra knowledge has been beyond the simple hex-editing with Dmute and goes to the engine itself - so you need to use CSBuild and DMBuild to enjoy the new information (such as how to genuinely create dungeons, edit texts, etc)

the only big gap, whcih i haven't been able to fill yet, is the expanded list of hex for triggers - 5/85 objects, as i caleld them
There are 255 possible permutations, and i've only listed 1/4 of them. Then a further trigger hex in DMute -> objects list for using DMbuild might be nice i would guess!
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

Hmm I keep forgetting to look at this tutorial...even if it isn't finished or is missing some things I'm sure it'll help out a little, if not alot.

I should take take a look at this soon....maybe I can create a uquie(sp?) dungeon.
Meaningless quote:
Words cannot have meaning unless they're given a meaning, words cannot benifit or harm unless they are allowed to.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Um... sorry, Beo, I don't think I have that attempt any more. If you have patience I might try again in the wintertime and make notes. Right now I could not point out the exact problem.

With gaps I meant things you thankfully put in there that were assumptions or partly tested/not falsified. Many of them are true, some are maybe not... so I'd say it's a manual in alpha/beta state - very helpful but needing some cleaning up in the corners ;)

Great that you did share your knowledge!

Regards, PitD

Return to “Editors and Tools (DMute, DM Builder, ADGE, etc.)”