Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Hi Gambit!

Cows designed an avatar picture for me and uploaded it on

http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/images/lunever2.jpg

But I can't use it, since it has about 8 KB and this forum allows only up to 6 KB for an avatar picture. Cows recommended I ask you to get the file size properly changed.
I hope you can help me out.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

I cannot even see it following the link... if you can email me the picture I can try to get the size down...

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I've already done it, but I can't upload as Cow's gone over his disk space limit -- and with the move to a new provider in the works, might as well wait until that's done until I upload.

Alternatively, if you can host the file yourself somewhere Lunever, let me know and I'll email it to you.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

made the space.. forgot to email you. :P
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Um well, mail it then. Theoretically I have 10 MB webspace at my disposal, but I have to admit that I've never done anything in web publishing. But then, this might be a good reason to start with it (which I've been intending to do anyway for quite a while now but never found the time to actually get it done). On the other hand, if you are able to upload it, I would be even more glad.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

All working now, you should be able to use the URL above for your avatar... it's pretty cool too! It would be great to see a bigger version... Cow?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

bigger version? what bigger version :)

I scribbled that while talking To Lunever online. it's only looking like anything because it's that small ;)

moo
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That's the problem with talent, p[eople keep wanting you to use it : )
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Good picture - your imagination can make it bigger for you. Otherwise you'd have to cut off the wings ;)

Regards, PitD
Last edited by PicturesInTheDark on Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hmmm, Freudian slip there Pitd??
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Definitely not. Thanks for the comment, that was a very unfortunate slip on the keyboard - not at all intended.

Regards, PitD
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Great! Finally I got my wings here too as an avatar.

PitD: To bad you edited away your freudian slip. I'd be curious what it was.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

I wanted to type a 'b' but got an 'n' instead because it's directly besides the other letter. The result was a word I'd never use normally. Thanks to Gambit I was able to correct it pretty quickly - even though coincidence I felt ashamed. :oops:

Regards, PitD
SavageMind
Neophyte

question

Post by SavageMind »

Why suck a restricted size on the images? 6k is not really that much room to play if you like animated avatars like I make.
Cairne-"Did you just kill him?"
Rigel-"Yes."
Cairne-"Why?"
Rigel-"Because he was stupid."
Cairne-"That's not a crime on this planet!"
Rigel-"It's not?"
Cairne-"No!"
Rigel-"Damn, I hate this planet!"
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Hi there SavageMind,

Welcome to the dungeon master forums, hope you enjoy yourself here. I was going to ask you a quick favor though.

That is quite a big avatar (file size wise that is) and signature picure you have there, as cool as they look my whole browser slowed to a crawl while it downloaded them. Combined, your pics alone are just under 0.25 mb, to a modem user (and with all the other pics on the page) thats takes some time to download (I remember the days :))

Any chance you could use a slightly more bandwidth friendly sig and avatar pics?

Cheers mate,
Regards,

Andy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

indeed, welcome!

and lol, guess the question got answered there : )
It's true, and some pages are probably hogs on bandwidth anyway (some of the discussions from RTC, news or the CSB scroll thread spring to mind) without everyone adding their signatures and avatars - hope you can find it as a challenge not a limitation!

rather than reply in two seperate places - about flash animation idea...personally i'm biased against it for no logical reason i can find, except for remembering the amount of times i've had to wait for sites like that to load...especially for a throwaway front page that people will probably only see the first time they find here
so i'm not sure - i think there, too, content over size/presentation would be the idea, obviously people like cows, gambit and christophe have more web experience for commenting on this...just thought i'd throw in my 2p!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@Andyboy, SavageMind's avatar is 18Kb -- once it's been downloaded, it doesn't need to be downloaded again as the browser pulls it from the cache. EDIT: I see you were talking about the signature image! Funny that, I didn't even notice it!

@SavageMind. Welcome to the forums! It looks like the size restriction isn't working because your avatar breaks that! ;) The reason we try to keep avatar size to a minimum is that they chew up unnecessary bandwidth and they are only really practical to identify who made a post -- in my opinion flashing wizz bang graphics don't really help, in fact they slow everything down. Which is why I would also have to disagree with your other post about a flash portal for this site: it's the same as having a 'skip intro' and they just get in the way of people getting to the information they want quickly and efficiently.

You'll notice that many of us here are purists when it comes to this sort of thing... :-)
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Hey Andyboy, c'mon, join the age of broadband! ;-)
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Lunever: I joined the age of broadband a little while ago (and believe me I would never go back). I didnt mean to come across all grumpy or anything, but that sig image is nearly a quater of a meg and there is bound to be some modem users here, that will take a good couple of minutes to download and while it was donwloading here (on broadband) my browser went to hell in a basket for scrolling the messages.

Personally I have no real problem with it, and I probably wouldnt have noticed it if it hadnt slowed the page down.

Anyway, If I offended anyone, im sorry.
Regards,

Andy
SavageMind
Neophyte

Compromise

Post by SavageMind »

I removed the sig as you have noticed. As for the Flash Here's my vent. Everybody likes a flash site as long as it isn't theirs. The Flash idea is no more useless then the background imaging used in this forum. Dial up is becoming more rare then ever. A good Flash site done right is no more bandwidth inhibiting than any other site. Even when I was on DU I never had probs with Flash powered site. Oh well I offered.
Rigel-"Yes."
Cairne-"Why?"
Rigel-"It's not?"
Cairne-"No!"
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

@Andy_boy, you shouldn't apologise for making your opinion. That's what these forums are about.

@SavageMind -- Flash sites are fine for the right kind of site; say for example, a movie site, or something to do with animation for example. But for sites where it is primarily text, flash sites offer little or no purpose. You don't read a book and have to wade through pages of irrelevant rubbish that tells you all about the book you're about to read, why should a website be any different? In my opinion, most flash intros are designed by people who know how to use flash and can do some special fx, but don't understand properly the requirement for getting information across quickly and efficiently. I am a professional web designer, and I never use flash because it doesn't really add anything to the user experience for the sites I tend to build.

You'll notice that many professional websites that once had flash intros no longer have them. That's because they listened to their visitors -- and the one thing that visitors complain about the most is slow loading times. Flash intro movies do nothing to improve that, and it's the main reason why many of them have been dropped.

I'm not having a go -- I'm simply sharing my views. I'm sure you are very capable of producing great flash animations -- I just don't think that this is the kind of site that would benefit from it.
SavageMind
Neophyte

Post by SavageMind »

Point taken and understood. I offer merely alternate visual candy for those who would appreciate it. I agree that Flash can be annoying and it's my personal love. Offering something for people to check out with of course a skip link. I never push a Flash only page because I do understand the needs of the client. Having cake and ice cream makes dessert that much more pleasing. :wink:
Rigel-"Yes."
Cairne-"Why?"
Rigel-"It's not?"
Cairne-"No!"
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Of course, there is nothing wrong with you doing cool flash animations and posting a link to them in the "Creative Endeavors" forum. Flash animations are, after all, pretty artistic in my books.
Regards,

Andy
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Indeed - so far cowsmanaut is the only one really exploiting this thread regularly - some nice animations would be appreciated in creative endeavours via links!

Regards, PitD
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yeah, that really is the point of the Creative endeavours area. Writing, music, art, and animations. I would most certainly enjoy anyone desiring to add to the creative ideas swimming around here.

moo
SavageMind
Neophyte

Post by SavageMind »

Well my friends I shall do exactly that! I should have something to post this week. Depends on my Army schedule. Be afraid, Be very afraid. :twisted:
Rigel-"Yes."
Cairne-"Why?"
Rigel-"It's not?"
Cairne-"No!"