Tomb Raider High Res Texture Project

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Tomb Raider High Res Texture Project

Post by Gambit37 »

I've been pretty bored with my Dungeon Master site for quite some time -- just can't seem to get any enthusiasm for it at the moment, and was feeling stifled creatively, so....

...having played the newest Tomb Raider game and been thoroughly disappointed, I went back to see if I could play the original Tomb Raider on my Windows XP box. Lo and behold, there's now lots of utils that make it possible. One of them, Glidos, allows high(er) res textures to be applied to the game.

So I got to thinking and experimenting, and well, one thing led to another, and here you go...

http://www.resonantedge.com/trx/
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

cool!!

Nice stuff. I notice you found out about areas where some map editor flipped textures or rotated them to add some variety to the scene.. however that doesn't work as well when there is more detail in the textures. With the blurry old stuff you can't hardly tell though. (sigh) :)

anyway.. enough of this herrasy.. denounce lara and tell us once again Chaos is your one true love. ;)

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hey, thanks! Yeah, I ended up having a whole discussion about the texture flipping problem on various TR forums. As you say, you can get away with it with low res textures, but higher res stuff does show up the flaws quite badly, especially on bricks (see the last example):

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/matt_hill/trplus/

I really wonder what the texture guys at Core Design were thinking with this... just a couple of extra seconds of editing their levels would have fixed all these problems. They must have been in a right hurry to get the game out...

And I'd just like to say: Chaos, my heart will always belong to you -- that silly Lara woman was just a, uh, momentary distraction. I vow to pledge allegiance to your hordes of darkness (especially the magenta worms), and to forthwith denounce all worship of the Divine Ponytail. That OK?
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Some treacherous words crept in your prayer but otherwise you did very well ;) Amazing what you can do to those pictures even if the limitation is 256x256. How did you get to know about Glidos?

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

In fact, these samples aren't that good, and aren't the best ones to show the possibilities --there will be much better ones on the way.

I knew about Glidos some time ago -- think I followed a link on on the newsgroup:

news:alt.games.tombraider[/url]
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Thank you... btw since when did your rank change to Grandmaster? Is this getting a free masons kind of community here? :lol:

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Beowuuf played around with the ranks some time ago and added a couple more above Archmaster. I think Grandmaster is 1300 -- don't know how long ago I got it as I haven't been posting much recently.... blame fuzzface for any funny handshakes ;)
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Well... since my picture suggests fuzziness as well... I'll just keep quiet for now... :) But an actuated list of all the ranks would still be nice as a sticky post somewhere I think! (Beo... that was for you)

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Made some changes and added some new samples to the TRX website:

www.resonantedge.com/trx/
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Especially the circular door/carving/whatever it is shows an impressive improvement... quite amazing what quality you can get out of these pictures.

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The new Tomb Raider Xtra website is now online!

It's taken a long time to arrive, but I hope the wait has been worth it. The new site has texture packs from four different artists, better instructions, some more background info and is nicer to look at.

We'll be updating the site as and when new uploads are made available, so check back often. It looks like John Capon will have the entire game re-textured soon! I'm the original creator of the project but due to real life only have an embarrasingly small contribution so far...

Anyway, it's now at a new URL. Enjoy!

http://www.tombraiderxtra.com/
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Just a little note here, for anyone who has been following this project. All my free creative time will now be spent on the Codex, so I won't be updating TRX anytime soon.