Dungeon Master Mod For Half-life

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Morax

Dungeon Master Mod For Half-life

Post by Morax »

Hi there, I've been thinking about seeing if I could get a team together to recreate the great game dungeon master in a new engine such as Half-Life etc. I thought this would be a good place to ask about it. Anyone who can Model, Map, Code etc and are interested please reply.

I'm not sure about copyright laws etc. but if someone knows anything about that please also reply.
Jonathan J.

RE: Dungeon Master Mod For Half-life

Post by Jonathan J. »

Hi Morax,

I'd love to do this.

Three years ago, I set up a very basic dungeon using Quake2. It was just square blocks (no textures) to see if I could get a 3D kind of D.M. It worked, more or less.

Among many things, I guess some scripts need to be made to get doors to open and close, keys to work, bones to resurrect, etc..??

Question. Why use the HL engine? Why not Q3's? JohnC put lots of features in the Q3 engine that make it just plain better.

My skills are primarily map making. I can also help in planning the game out, too. I can make some simple graphics, if needed, too.

Let me know!! This sounds very cool.
Jonathan
Morax

Post by Morax »

Cool, a reply. Yeah its probably a better idea using the Q3 engine, but im just used to the HL one, and I love that game.

So you can do maps then. I can do modelling. I could also make web site for us.

We need a coder, is there any out there????

P.S. Whats your correct e-mail address?
Demoniac

Post by Demoniac »

Heh... You guys will post the URL to the web site here when you have one, right? I'd sure like to see a Q3 version of Dungeon Master. But be sure to alter as little as possible of the graphics/textures (I know there's not much to do about the linear filtering, I just mean that you guys should rip as much out of the original game as possible to get the right feeling in there).
Steve Hall

Post by Steve Hall »

Wow, this all sounds great! How are you gonna go about doing the spells? What about the story? I'd love to see this project done, as I am still unable to get DM Nexus, the only true 3D DM yet.
max

Post by max »

go to a half life site nd prepose the idea they might like it but i sujest the unreal 2eng thought
lazygamer
Novice

Post by lazygamer »

The simple fact is Half-life is the most user friendly. You can get more design help and tutorials, then any other engine. Plus it's also the BIGGEST FPS game community.

Of course if you made such a thing, would it be step based or full movement?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

if you guys are *really* serious I would be willing to help.. But it has to be really serious.

First thing you need to be sure of is: Can a proper version of it be done? Can you have 4 characters, can you resurect, can you work in food and water, can you put in a spell interface, can you keep and inventory, pressure plates, teleporters, etc etc etc etc..

a half way job might be neat for amusement but probably wouldn't go past casual inspection..

I'm guessing since no new news has been posted 03-13-01 from the person who started this thread that not much is happening..
Sundeep Nandra

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

or that they are talking privately via email...?
Blade

Post by Blade »

I do not BELIEVE there are any copyright infringments involved with the first DM, the original itself is available in abundance (As well as DM2 for that matter)... Mapping in Half-Life is very easy, worldcraft is an awesome program that allows you to do almost anything you can imagine..I assume you're talking about a single-player adventure...possibly even the original map (God no....not again.) What about a massively multiplayer world, based on DM? You could do anything you wanted to with it from there...Multiple maps, whatever weapons you wanted....The spell system would be painstaking, maybe use the number keys like weapons,
ala 6-4-4= MON-FUL-IR?...multiple characters......yeesh, you got a whole world of work to pull it off, but I bet you'd be a millionare like the fellas who did Team-Fortress Classic or Counter-Strike.....Niel Manke is a guy who makes Half-life single player games, beautifully.Maybe he would be interested in that. PC Gamer picked up his games to distribute on thier cd's, and that is the only way I could think to get ahold of him...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Huh? Of course it's a breach of copyright! This whole website is a breach of copyright, since it offers the original games for download. The only people who have the right to do that are FTL. FTL may not exist as a company any more, but Wayne Holder still holds all copyrights and trademarks on Dungeon Master 1,2, CSB, Therons Quest, Nexus, etc.

Of course in real terms, there probably is no harm in going ahead with this. But be prepared to be shut down if ex-FTL members find the mod under development and decide to exert their legal copyright. The same goes for Christophe who runs this site. You all run a risk of legal action, but only if FTL actually find out.

Why do you think so many other mods were shut down in the past? 'Aliens' inspired mods spring to mind, which were shut down by Fox. Be careful out there...
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

You're perfectly right Gambit! The games are still copyrighted by Software Heaven (parent company for FTL Games).

But I don't think Wayne Holder would stop fan's developments, unless people make money with them. RTC, this site (and others) have not been shut down (well, not yet!).
Wayne wrote me a few months ago, and only asked me to add some credit to the authors of the games, and mention that they are copyrighted. In fact, he was "impressed" by the site...

That's why I think there is no problem making an half-life mod. But it may change ;)

Christophe