Amiga Kid Dungeon

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Andy Smith

Amiga Kid Dungeon

Post by Andy Smith »

Firstly congratulations on the site. It's great to reminisce about the hours upon hours spent in my bedroom alone playing with my mouse improving my stamina.

Secondly a little known fact (which most of you lot already seem to know about) the mystical "Kids Dungeon" of the Apple DM can also be found on the original Amiga version.
It's pretty complicated to reach so bear with me.
(Please note this works (or at least has only been tested on) the original Amiga disk, haven't been able to try it on any emulated versions, yet)
Well here we go...

When loading the game hold down the Alt key.

That's it!
Through the whole loading of the game keep the Alt key (it may be both Alt keys - it has been about 10 years!) held down.
Then start the game as usual and you should be able to enter the
previously closed-off section on the right, at the very start of the game.

Hope you get some enjoyment out of this version. It certainly
surprised me when I found it.
Wonder what FTL put it in there for?!?

Just as a side note, I remember saving up the £60 for the
megabyte upgrade just to get hold of Dungeon Master. I cut so
many gardens that summer! I was only 11 though! Anyone else got any good memories about their purchasing of the original?

Again, congratulations on the site and enjoy the game,
Lusiphur

Re: Amiga Kid Dungeon

Post by Lusiphur »

Well I do remember that I bought an Amiga just for playing F18 interceptor and that I bought the 1MB memory expansion just for playing Dungeon Master.
Since then, I haven't seen a better flight simulation than F18 nor a better role playing game than Dungeon Master, despite all the modern 3D effects...
Peter Hwa

Post by Peter Hwa »

Whats about the "kids dungeon" ? i never heard anything about it.
can you tell me something about it ???

thx
j.
Peter Hwa

Post by Peter Hwa »

I also stumbled across this dungoen many years ago, at the time I wasn't a hardened adventurer. Years later, I decided to resurrect my Amiga 500 and complete DM and maybe Chaos Strikes Back, recently i finished DM, killing all five golems and the dragon but I still wanted to return to the kids dungeon. After reading this i am finally able to return......so i did. The dungeon is certainly a kids dungeon, how amazed i was when the dragon died from a single FUL bomb! Is there anything else after that? Are there any secret areas with tougher challenges? Is the Conduit available in other games? A powerful weapon indeed, though not as good as th firestaff+powergem. Oh well.......
Andy

Post by Andy »

Is there a Kid Dungeon on the Atari ST version????
Randor
Neophyte

Post by Randor »

i was just about to post a new thread concerning this. a friend of mine had an amiga save game disk with a level layout i'd never seen before. i quizzed him as to how he got to it but he couldn't remember what he did.

i'll have to try this out on UAE. thanks!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, may I give you my warn thanks for searching around and choosing threadnomancy rather than a new thread! :D

Fun to see these discussions resurface and give everyone new the info again
Randor
Neophyte

Post by Randor »

yer welcome! had to bump, though, as it was like an age-old mystery, finally solved for me!
Steve-B
Novice

Post by Steve-B »

Wow - Nice one, Randor. I never new anything about a 'Kid Dungeon' on the Amiga version. Looks like I'll have to give this a blast on WinUAE (once I get my computer back) and see if it works.

Does anyone know which version it works on? Does it work on the v3.6 re-release by Psygnosis or is it just the original 2.0 version??
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Until I see proof, I remain sceptical. Doug Bell says Kid Dungeon was only ever in the Apple version -- and he should know! :)
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

I'll remain skeptical as well... the closed off section opening? Sounds unlikey...
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

It certrainly can't be a closed off section, lest it'd be visible in one of the various tools to peek into or modify the dungeon.dat

So it would have to be an alternate dungeon file. That would have been easily noticed too, unless it was hard-coded on the original floppy disk. Not impossible, but I too don't think its true.
So as far as I know, its Apple only. Of course I welcome anyone to proof me wrong.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Randor wrote:i was just about to post a new thread concerning this. a friend of mine had an amiga save game disk with a level layout i'd never seen before. i quizzed him as to how he got to it but he couldn't remember what he did.
It could've just been a hacked layout-- there were mapping/editing tools way back when, too!
Randor
Neophyte

Post by Randor »

Sophia wrote: It could've just been a hacked layout-- there were mapping/editing tools way back when, too!
yeah, i remember er... DMEdit?? it could be, and i shouldn't really believe everything i read on teh intrawebs, i know.

haven't gotten E-UAE running on my mac yet. mebbe i'll find time this weekend.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Until I see proof, I remain sceptical. Doug Bell says Kid Dungeon was only ever in the Apple version -- and he should know!
Someone once sent me an ADF image of DM Amiga v2.2 German, and it included a file called dungeonB.dat. This dungeon file was the Kid Dungeon (although with some differences compared to the Apple IIGS version). However, I could never play this dungeon by pressing ALT or any other key combination. I had to rename the files to replace the original dungeon by this one.

More troubling: someone else wrote me that he had bought an original DM Amiga v2.2 English, noticed the dungeonB.dat file and asked me what this file was. After checking, it was indeed the kid dungeon.

It still is possible that these dungeonB.dat files are fake dungeons added by someone who knew how to build dungeon files...

I prefer thinking that maybe Doug does not remember that the Kid dungeon was included in this version because they did not include an official way to start this dungeon from the game. But somehow they just added the file on the disk. That would explain everything.

If someone has an original DM 2.2, could they check whether the file is on their floppy disk?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Whoa, awesome in that case! I believe I do have a 2.2 version but it will take me quite some time to dig out my Amiga and set it up to find out, if it even still works! I'll let you know how I get on.
plenty
Novice

Post by plenty »

It would be awesome to have this dungeon in RTC, even as an extra dungeon file! Wheter it was hacked or not, it was an one platform oficially... its a piece of history then, that i have never seen. I cant stand it! :twisted:
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I already converted the original Apple version of Kid to RTC. It's in the custom dungeons list. Don't get too excited, there's not much to it!
plenty
Novice

Post by plenty »

Gambit37 wrote: It's in the custom dungeons list.
U mean its in .45? I couldn't find it in .44 :/
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Nope, I mean it's an extra download in the custom dungeons list:
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=23916
plenty
Novice

Post by plenty »

404 Page not found

The page you are looking for was destroyed by Lord Chaos (yes, he is a bad guy).

You should go to the Home page.
Im not verry lucky today, forum is working well, but download page is dead.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

The links to the encyclopaedia in the "List of dungeons" topic that Gambit is refering to are broken. I will fix them. Don't bother changing them now as they will change again soon. I will update the topic then.

Until then, you can browse the Custom Dungeons here:
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=view/CustomDungeons
plenty
Novice

Post by plenty »

Thanx... im going to swallow that little pearl right away! :twisted:

EDIT:
The people are happy. You have killed the evil dragon.
"I expected somting more... umm.. well, somting more!"

It was short but fun, nice walktrough :D

I used my RTC COMBAT TEAM, so it was blitzpass. If they implemented it as acessible from main game, with a possibillity of carring back items, then it was SICK, otherwise, fun intro! Just a bit disapointing ending...
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Since the Kid's Dungeon has been part of original FTL DM I think I should be part of the default RTC download, as O-DM1, RTC-DM, CSB and DM2 are. Certainly it would not take much space, since it resorts tot the same grafix as DM1.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
plenty
Novice

Post by plenty »

Fully agree. this pearl is taking a bit less then 19 kb.

I find kid dungeon a perfect place to level up (up to mid levels), since there is a button operated screamer generator (in a room with the normal, button operated door), and a fountain. U have flasks there too, I'm just not shure of the xp multiplayer at the dragon level. All types of weapons avalible offers perfect training route.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The point of the kid dungeon was to learn the basic game mechanics and wasn't supposed to be a full adventure. I think it works perfectly in that context.
dayday2008
Journeyman

Post by dayday2008 »

I noticed this thread ages ago but never got round to making a comment. As I have an Amiga I have tested this and found that holding any Alt key from the FTL screen loads up this dungeon. There is no mention of it in the manual, I dont know why? It seems like a great way for children to get to grips with yhe way things work in the dungeon. My daughter is seven and loves this dungeon, I wish I knew about it when I was younger. I shall now breifly describe what we found.

Upon entering the kid dungeon the path to the right (which is a dead end in the 'adult' dungeon) leads to the 'dragons den' and needs an emerald key for access. taking the path straight ahead leads to the 'gallery of heros' and the writing on the wall reads 'welcome brave kids', 'touch a mirror to choose your champion'. This gallery contains the following champions: Gothmog, Hissssa, Daroou, Sonja, Elija, Iaido, Hawk, Boris, Chani, Stamm and last but certainly not least Wuuf.

We then found various rooms such as; 'the armour shop' where one can spend any gold coins found to reveal the Lyte and Darc armour one piece at a time.
'push a button, make a monster' This room has four cells with switch doors and green buttons on the wall next to them. There are Screamers, Rock piles, mummies and Skeletons that can be spawned at one's leisure.
'shooting gallery' This room is divided by a row of pits with ful bombs and other throwing weapons on the near side. A button on the wall spawns some mummies whom then attempt make it around the pits to get to you.
'treasure maze' This room contains most of the goodies that can be found in the adult dungeon. It's layout is like 'the matrix' but with lots of gigglers running about and hidden floor traps that spawn more. Writing on the wall of this room reads 'beware of the Kleptomaniacs' is this their correct name? :?
There is also a 'stone man room' which contains a single Golem that can be found in 'the tomb of the firestaff' in the adult dungeon. He is easy to defeat and he gaurds the key to the 'dragon's den'. As for the dragon it can be destroyed eith a single ful bomb and there's at least fifteen of them to be found so it's extremely simple.
Anyway, 'the people are happy the evil dragon has been killed' these words are to be found in a scroll in a chest in the dragon's den once it has been slayed.
Revolutionary Greetings!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Interesting! That's definitely a bit different to the original Apple version -- there's no Golem in that version and the Dragon's Den is down a set of stairs elsewhere. Very cool. I wonder if it's possible for you to make the file available so that it can be used with emulation and clones?
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Gambit, you can go to http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/627
In the archive named "DM-Game-Amiga.rar", there are 2 ADF disk images for versions 2.2 English and 2.2 German. Although these disk images cannot be used to play the game with an emulator (they are not cracked) they do contain a DungeonB.dat file that contains the Kid dungeon.

dayday2008, can you tell me which version of DM you have exactly? Language + version number (it can be seen on the upper right corner of dialog boxes, when you load or save a game for example).
The ALT key is mentionned here: http://dmweb.free.fr/files/DM-Scan-Appl ... onCard.jpg (this was included in the box of the Apple IIGS version, I don't know if it was also included in some Amiga versions), but I never actually saw it work (again, because the disk images I have are not cracked, I cannot start the game). It is interesting to know that it actually works!
dayday2008
Journeyman

Post by dayday2008 »

Sorry for the late reply, I've been quite busy this weekend but thanks for sharing your interest with me. :)
Gambit37 wrote:I wonder if it's possible for you to make the file available so that it can be used with emulation and clones?
I would be honoured to help you with this Gambit but i'm not sure how! If you could tell me I'll give it a go next time I use a friend's PC.
ChristopheF wrote:dayday2008, can you tell me which version of DM you have exactly? Language + version number
Certainly Christophe :) its DM v2.2 in English. I found it on Ebay for £20 and sadly in a recent search I could not find CSB or any other DM game, I'm well gutted :( Can anyone help me with this?
Revolutionary Greetings!