One Character

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ken

One Character

Post by Ken »

Hi people,

Before I get to the point of this message, I would just like to say thanks to Christophe for such a great web site. I keep coming back and it keeps getting better. It has kept an interest in a game that I have loved since the day it was released on the Atari ST.

Now to the question. How many people, like myself have compleated Dungeon Master with only one character? Like most of you I have replayed the game many times, tried doing lots of different things, I thought using only one character would be very difficult, but in some ways it was easier because there is never a problem due to lack of food. I always love playing the game, but its never as good as the first time when you really don't know which way to turn and things really do come as a shock!

Ken
Sundeep Nandra

Re: One Character

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

I've completed it with one character on three or four occasions. The game balances after the worm level with any character being able to quickly gain fighting and ninja levels or, (in the cases of Halk and Stamm especially), priest and wizard levels using the teowand, giving, in effect, all characters equal chance of completing the game successfully. Damn good game though :).
Big-J-Q
Adept

Post by Big-J-Q »

It's actually quite easy on one character only, you just have to train a little bit. When you find the first pair of speed boots, the party speeds up, but if you have a full party, you just have to wait DAAAAAAAAMN long to hasten your group.

Besides, you need less food.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Ah! If you want a bit more difficulty, perhaps you should
try it with two (or more) characters but only one of them
is allowed to cast spells or swing a sword or wear armor.
Any others are simply taking a guided tour.

As you say, a single character is not too much of a problem.
But with more mouths to feed? And delicate tourists to protect?

I haven't tried it myself.

PAul psteven@facstaff.wisc.edu
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Ah! If you want a bit more difficulty, perhaps you should
try it with two (or more) characters but only one of them
is allowed to cast spells or swing a sword or wear armor
or carry anything.
Any others are simply taking a guided tour.

As you say, a single character is not too much of a problem.
But with more mouths to feed? And delicate tourists to protect?

I haven't tried it myself.

PAul psteven@facstaff.wisc.edu
Sundeep Nandra

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

One possible game is having one character who can only gain fighter levels, one who can only gain ninja levels, one who can only gain priest levels and one who can only gain wizard levels (and if any character accidentally gains the wrong type of level, you have to go back to your save or start all over again). That would mean the ninja can't use diamond edge (getting hit whilst using diamond edge goes towards fighter levels) and so on. The game is made difficult by making sure characters don't start getting the wrong types of levels and the lack of hit points and stamina that the wizard and priest would have, plus the slightly less-than-desired hit points the ninja would have. I haven't tried it though I don't think it would be TOO hard to finish in this manner.....it is a challenge though.
jaba

Post by jaba »

so that would mean that at the start you would need to take guys/girls who only can do one type of thing (fighter ,ninja ,wizard, priest).
Sundeep Nandra

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

Yes. Reincarnating characters who had previously gained other levels makes the whole thing easier on the player as they have existing statistics which can be built upon from the start, defeating half of the object of this type of game.
Fredrik Olsson

Post by Fredrik Olsson »

I just started a new game with four girls (Chani, Azizi, Wu Tse and Syra) resurected and I do NOT train them on the way just gain levels "the natural way". I also try not to use characters for skills they are not confort in unless it is really needed.

It is way fun and gives some sport to the play.

Think I shall do the same with non humans next time.