E-lock

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Solacus

E-lock

Post by Solacus »

On lev 8 (i think) you can open a wall with a skull key, and behind that wall are several staircases leading downwards. If you follow these down, you'll find at the bottom a strange lock with a mark shaped like an E-letter in it. Someone ever found the key fitting it? I once heard that this lock and the key for it, should have opened the supposed extra-levels, that FTL were planning to make. However, this project was cancelled, and the FTL guys decided to make a whole new standalone game (Chaos..). So I'm just wondering if this is true, or is there really a key fitting that lock somewhere?
Sundeep Nandra

Re: E-lock

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

There is a key, the Winged Key, which fits that lock. It is found on the level with the stone golems (level 7) which is only accessible after completing a certain amount of level 12 (and obtaining the third Ra Key). This eventually opens into a small level 14 containing a dragon. There is another, slightly more tedious way of getting to level 14 (which involves walking through level 13). You have to go to level 14 at some point in order to power the firestaff and finish the game.
Solacus

Post by Solacus »

aaaaa... now i remember :) It's been a while since i finished the game. (only did it once btw). So the extra levels lock-thing was another thing then..
Sundeep Nandra

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

yep.....personally I'd never heard of the extra levels before.
Rick

extra-short shortcut to win

Post by Rick »

BTW, i noticed a nice shortcut to get the master key and avoid much pain with those terrible air elementals in level 11. (Just in case nobody noticed)
Go down the deep stair located at the end of level 6 (firestaff level).

In the passage opened with the ruby key, there is some secret button. Follow the new passage and there's the other secret button where you get the winged key. (item #21 in map, top lef) Keep following the passage and berzerk the golem. Those stairs (labeled #24 in map) are a shortcut to the chaos level directly where you press a button and a secret door opens. After this door, take the stairs at the north (labeled 22, level 12) and they go up to the air elementals level. Follow the U-turn corridor, and VOILA there's the Master key!!!

[
The normal procedure would be to kill all the creatures there, search all the rooms until you get the master key and go back to all the rooms, killing all the creatures, go up (or you can use the skeleton key - if you can find it) to level 6.
]

So with this shortcut way you don't have to deal with all the traps and generators etc.

Anyway after getting the master key, go back to chaos level, take the stairs #24 to level 6 where you can get the firestaff with the master key (don't forget to kill the golems one by one before getting the firestaff). No go to the level entry and use stair #9.

This is how you solve the game with the winged key:

Use the winged key to gain access to the dragon. This corridor has a nice level which blocks the entry from outside so the dragon can't chase you back. There you can rest and heal yourself.

Kill him with the inquisitor and cleaver axe (use the berzerk action - don't waste your spells on it, the dragon is immune to fire - sounds rather obvious but the author of the walkthru found out the hard way! :)

By the way this reminds me of Eye of the Beholder 2 where you kill the dragon with the hit and run technique. Again, this dragon was immune to fire :)

Anyway - after killing the dragon you find lots of treasures, copper gold, silver coins and the square key, etc. After getting the power gem you can take the stair #23 to level 12.

(By the way, save game before exiting corridor - did i mention demons are waiting for you there? ]:P

You can use the firestaff to throw fireballs at the them.

This corridor's entry is helpful because you don't hit any black flame generator. This way you can go directly to Lord Chaos without having to kill ANY flame. (Starting at the edge of the dragon corridor, walk 3 steps forward, turn left and go all to the north of the level where you'll find Lord Chaos).
Rick

Oops - corrections

Post by Rick »

Said:
Go down the deep stair located at the end of level 6 (firestaff level).
Should say:
Go down the deep stair located at the end of level 6 (firestaff level). THIS IS HOW:

Said:
Use the winged key to gain access to the dragon. This corridor has a nice level

should say:
nice lever
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Few more points

Post by beowuuf »

The dragon is not immune to fire, just resistant, so there is no reason not to whack him with fireballs, though you may as well save FUL bombs etc for the demons

If you want to avoid dragon killing, a quicker idea is to open up the power gem room, then the iron door beyond to the vi altar..get the dragon in here then run out, trapping him (the door closes when you leave the power gem room)...simple.

Never forget to pick up the eye of time in the dragon level - nice freeze life effect.

The shorter corridor on level 12 is a better corridor to face the demons at, even if it does have the black flames around it...you can easily see the demons, then duck out of the way of spells from chaos and demons, and just let the demons come to you at the entrance, and swap spells and running hits until they are dead. If chaos is there, fling a few calm effects or a few fuse effects at him til he runs away bored. Kill the first flame on the left, as it never regenerates and that will allow you to cross from one side of chaos's lair to the other.

While the invoke option is handy on the firestaff, you can always keep it unformed to give you a contant fireshield option to resist demons and flames instead (plus you won't risk closing off the dungeon too soon). The invoke works best when the user has some mana to put into it (larger spells cast).
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!