!! Some NEW tricks !!

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Maven
Apprentice

Re: !! Some NEW tricks !!

Post by Maven »

zoom wrote:
Maven wrote:I've found at least one example where the rear rank gets less exp. That is with Warcry. If you're not toe-to-toe, you don't get the Priest Influence component of the exp.
are you postive about this one? I really am sure that you get the priest experience regardless of rear rank or front rank when facing a monster. If you want to tell us that there is still priest experience but only less so when in the rear ranks, please say so. I do not get a clear statement out of your sentences in this regard. Anyway thanks for looking into this stuff always interesting.
I'm sure. I have run the test more than once because it wasn't intuitive that's how it should work. If I stand facing a screamer who is screaming away at me, and I warcry with all four characters, the front two get 28 Fighter experience, 28 Parry experience, 24 Priest experience, and 24 Influence experience. The rear two get 28 Fighter and 28 Parry experience. No Priest or Influence experience.

If I'm facing away, the rear two get the Priest exp. Sometimes. And only if they're turned toward the screamer.
Maven
Apprentice

Post by Maven »

Octopuss wrote:Hm, well, I'd like to see someone check the code to be absolutely sure.
I wanted to increase the melee skill associated with chop, but the supply of screamers is limited, so I thought about putting the party in the room (do I need to mention which? :)) with front chars chopping at the doors while being attacked from behind. But if the xp is really lowered, then there is probably no point in doing so.
Here's what I see with my axe chop:

Chopping thin air with no monsters: 4 Fighter Club exp.
Chopping thin air after being attacked: 10 Fighter Club exp.
Chopping a screamer who has attacked me: 52 Fighter Club exp.
Chopping a door with a screamer behind me: 20 Fighter Club exp.

I think I would like to re-run this experiment, because it doesn't match up totally with the other numbers I recorded. Kicking a door, for example, gives 52 exp as opposed to 64 kicking a screamer. Hitting a door with a shield gives me 60 Fight exp. That's too strange to believe.

But I'm confident in saying it will give more experience to hit a door than to chop thin air. Not as much as really hitting the screamer, though.

You sure the screamer supply it limited? There seems to be a minimum time for spawning them, but other than that I get a spawn every time I step on the generator square.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

About the warcry, I think DM and CSB work different.
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

Maven wrote:You sure the screamer supply it limited? There seems to be a minimum time for spawning them, but other than that I get a spawn every time I step on the generator square.
Limited as in not being able to constantly keep screamer genocide in progress :mrgreen:
I absolutely need to raise the skill associated with chop because until now I have been bashing away with shields building that defensive skill. Time for increasing damage!
But hell I am not seeing hitting archmaster warriors anytime in this life!

what might be the spawn interval I wonder?
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Octopuss wrote:what might be the spawn interval I wonder?
Hm, it says 320 units here, i.e. 53 seconds. Hmmm... I thought it was faster... I'm probably wrong, so ignore me. :(

Why don't you try the rat or the scorpion generators? :)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

No, long ago I decided I want to get as high skills as possible as early as possible as well - just for the hell of it - so over two years later here am I, still on level 4, kicking screamer ass :D
Not much point in such playstyle I know, but I only play occasionally - say one week of this and then several weeks nothing... Not much time for games anyway.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

@maven: Memory often plays tricks on your mind, so I believe you ;)
seems like your dm version is more warcry restricting than csbwin.
(which dm´s ruleset is based upon csb with some alterations in exp or so.
maybe there could be changes for the dm rules option in csbwin or leave it as is/Paul Stevens?
(warcry is a cheap way to gain priest levels-->cheating?))

Octopuss wrote:I absolutely need to raise the skill associated with chop
why? Does it make that much of a difference to have a high chop skill?

I am wondering for quite some time now what effect the hidden skills have.
I know it is "easier" to cast potion spells(priest ones) with the gem of ages worn,
so is the hidden skill level more relevant to attack options /success than the main skill?
What is the difference? Do hidden skills(chop, lightning etc) only have effect if they are higher than the main skill? what if they are much much less? (e.g. fighter on master and chop, beserk skill neophyte?)
to get the arch to the beginning: would the champion be a bad priest if she gained all her exp via warcry?

Also, in that regard there is this anomaly with hidden skills vs main skills exp in the champion mirrors:
Gothmog, next to a couple of other champions has a higher Fire hidden skill than his main Wizard skill.
Normally impossible to have, since you get all exp for hidden skill also in main skill always!!

what happens with the hidden skills if you reincarnate? what if you ressurrect a champion?

It occured, may be a connection there- some years back :

shortly before you gained the fighter level actually needed for chop -all of a sudden- you would have had the chop action available as an attack option on a sword;(not the axe, it gives chop for free)
but the span was marginal: one or two chops later the champion would have gained a fighter level and things more or less returned to normal.

well, strange things that happen with this game!
Maven
Apprentice

Post by Maven »

zoom wrote:
Octopuss wrote:I absolutely need to raise the skill associated with chop
why? Does it make that much of a difference to have a high chop skill?
The way I understand it is that when you attempt to use a hidden skill, your skill in that area is averaged with your corresponding class skill in determining the outcome.

What this means in practice is that you will have at most one level less expertise if you don't practice a given hidden skill.

So for example if you get all your Ninja skill kicking, and I get all my Ninja skill climbing the rope, I would have to have twice the experience If I were going to be effective at actually kicking something. That's one level.

So gaining skill climbing rope would have to be twice as easy. Which I think it is, if I'm training. So it makes more sense to me to train climbing rope (and casting the necessary Ya potions) and then actually use kick during combat. Or maybe forget kick altogether and use chop.

Or, if I gained all my Priest experience casting potions, I would only have to be a Novice Priest in order to reliably cast a Lo Ya potion. If all my Priest skill were in Influence because all I did was Warcry, I would have to be an Apprentice Priest for the same reliability.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oooh!
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Maven
Apprentice

Post by Maven »

Here's the table of experience values for different difficulty levels of spells. I think there are only 4 difficulty levels. There are 6 power levels, Lo-Mon. The Ful torch spell is level 1. The Ya Stamina potion spell is level 2. The Ful Ir Fireball spell is level 3, along with the Oh Ven poison cloud spell.

You get double experience for casting within 7 seconds or so of being attacked. You also get exp multiplier for deeper dungeon levels. So casting a Mon Ya potion on level 1 while fighting a screamer, I could get 544, 546, 548, 550, 552, 554, 556, or 558 experience. I get that much Heal experience and that much generic Priest experience.

Code: Select all

1        2        3        4	
1   36- 43   57- 64   80- 87  105-112
2   65- 72   96-105  129-136  164-171
3   96-103  137-144  180-187  225-232
4  129-136  180-187  233-240  288-295
5  164-171  225-232  288-295  353-360
6  201-208  272-279  345-352  420-427
Maven
Apprentice

Post by Maven »

There's also a level 0 difficulty spell, for what it's worth. It's the ZoKathRa spell. Here's the table for it:

Code: Select all

17-24
36-43
57-64
80-87
105-112
132-139