Important! - 300dpi Scans Required

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Steve B

Important! - 300dpi Scans Required

Post by Steve B »

Hello folks

Ok. Want to hear some exciting Dungeon Master news. Well then read on. It looks like the scans on this website are 100dpi. Can someone possibly rescan the original Dungeon Master contents at 300dpi?

I'll tell you why these new high resolution scans are needed...

This is not for me. This will benefit everyone. I'm involved in a project to perfectly preserve all of the Amiga Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back disks. These preserved files will be 100% intact which means they will contain the copy protection and everything else. These images will NOT be cracked files like the ADF's on this site but the actual original disks which I am personally supplying as are a few others. These IPF files will then be able to be transferred back to a real amiga disk with EVERYTHING intact. Not a single crack screen in sight. This isn't a fantasy, this is for real. However before the game will even be worked on, scans are required for the game at 300dpi. Don't ask me why. I guess they just want the best resolution they can get. I don't have a scanner to scan in all the game contents so this is where you guys come in. I need your help to get this project kickstarted. Who would like to take up this challenge?

Regards,
Steve B

http://www.caps-project.org/
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Re: Important! - 300dpi Scans Required

Post by ChristopheF »

I've been following this CAPS project since a long time. I found the idea was very good, but I was not sure that they would achieve what they have done! They defined a disk image file format (IPF) which is far better than ADF because it can accomodate virtually every copy protection scheme that was used by amiga games.
The is a plugin for WinUAE allowing you to use these ipf files.

So if you can help with this project, you're welcome, it will benefit the whole Dungeon Master community, and the whole Amiga community.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Yes thanks for the little addition Christophe. I'll just say that it takes the Caps people a lot of effort to master a disk from a raw dump file. The RAW file (that I'm supplying) contains every single little detail that has to be painstakingly investigated in order to create a working IPF file. They won't even consider looking at the game if it doesn't have all the scans complete and of a good high quality.

Additional: The Caps Tools don't just work on Amiga games but are capable of backing up Atari ST disks as well as loads of other formats.

If anyone would like to contribute to backing up there Dungeon Master versions then get in contact with me. The more versions of Dungeon Master that are dumped the better chance there will be of producing a 100% perfect working IPF of each version.
Nobbin

Post by Nobbin »

Just to add the little bit I know...

300 dpi scans are require because they are the best quality scans you can do without being able to reproduce them at a commerical level (that needs 600 dpi). It is to stop companies pirating the games. That and probably because 600dpi scans are massive.

Also - I think that the effort you speak of for these RAW files only needs to be done when the disk format is first encountered - all disks with the same format are then recognised automatically. Don't ask me how - but there are details in the WIP pages.

However, when I asked about this, they did tell me that, even if they know the format of a disk, there is a lot of effort that goes in to verifying each one is identical in every way to the original before it is released.

Anyway, it would be fantastic to get a C.A.P.S. preserved version of Dungeon Master! Unfortuately I no longer own the game (sold it dammit - hey, I was young okay??). :(
Fiath
Neophyte

Post by Fiath »

Hi Nobbin, nice of you not to tell me. :/
You don't know much. :p

(its okay, I work with him :))

Anyway, yes this would be great! :) but just to let you guys know that currently only Dungeon Master v3.6 is supported, because all other versions use an Atari protection track, and we don't support the Atari format in the analyser yet (but of course, our dumping tool does not care).

The reason for this is because the Atari/PC format (we call it hardware or generic MFM) is quite widespread, and we won't do it until we have done some research. But we do not have enough dumps of Atari/PC games in order to increase the chance of finding all the types of protection used by this format.

We probably have about 20 or so dumps of Atari games, and a couple of PC ones. But to get the tech guy to start on it, he says he wants about a hundred. So if anybody fancies dumping their Atari ST / PC floppy games, please let us know!

Post by Guest »

Just to let you guys know we are getting somewhere:

http://www.caps-project.org/games.php?s ... er&view=91

It will mailed out to contributers soon, so hopefully it will become generally available soon...

Of course, it would be nice to get other versions, on Amiga and ST.
dmman

Post by dmman »

Hi,
I may be able to help you here, I own some of the ORIGINALS of Dungeonmaster and Chaos Strikes Back versions that you may be looking for.. Protection and all..

Dmman
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

anyone else wonder how 2 year old threads pop up? ;)
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

If you want to dump your Amiga and /or Atari ST floppy disks, you need to have at least an Amiga 1200 (the dumping tool from CAPS will not work on an Amiga 500 for technical reasons).
You need to contact the CAPS project by email to obtain the dumping tools, the address is:
contributions@caps-project.org

More information on their web site: http://www.caps-project.org/

If you don't have the required hardware, you can send your floppies to a contact that will dump them for you. You need to tell them where you live (country) to have a contact not too far from you.

Also, could you check exactly which version you have? You can see the version number in the top right corner of dialog boxes in the games (while saving, for example). Also, could you precise which language you have? Please post this information here, and tell the CAPS project this info, as they may already have dumps of the version you have, so it would be useless to dump them again...
Mr Ferret
Neophyte

Post by Mr Ferret »

have just recently found this site and looked up this thread. have an original copy of dungeon master for the amiga, complete with the instructions(somewheree in the house) and would be willing to make an inage of the disk if possible, but you will have to tell me what software to use to do this as i have no idea. don't know about the hi-res scans though, as my scanner hates my winXP.give me a holler if this will be of any use to you guys.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

There are very specific versions of the game that Christophe is looking for -- check out the bottom of the homepage at http://dmweb.free.fr/ -- if you don't have one of these versions, your work might be redundant.