Diabolical Demon Director Dragon

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
FoxBat

Diabolical Demon Director Dragon

Post by FoxBat »

The DDDD... the "Especially well fed" dragon underneath the DDD level. The one that roasts you to a crisp if you "trust chaos and enter the pit" Well anyway I ran through the "fighter charge" and got across the pit, killed the stone golem, and went down the stairs near the pits. There is a door down there and a golden keyhole, and a floorplate that temporarily opens a wall to the big bad dragon room. The question is this: is there any reward for killing this big dragon aside from dragon steaks, like a key perhaps? He is quite tough and I don't feel like killing him if all he is is food, I've already got more than enough dragon steaks, and the wasted time would mean that my entire party drops closer to critical water levels.

Sorry for the first waste of time post I was just a tad pumped at the time...
Sundeep Nandra

Re: Diabolical Demon Director Dragon

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

If you mean the dragon in the small area...where there are two doors with pressure plates opening them...then yes, you want to go here. One of the doors leads back around to level 5, very close to your original game start position. From here you can go around to the starter room and then work your way to some water by dropping down the correct pit (probably one of the ones in that pit room where the pits flash open on squares you have recently walked on. Check the maps on this site to see how this is achievable. I finished the game using an emulator only recently and got my water that way. You won't actually need to kill the dragon but you may need to go back this way once more to get water again, so killing him is probably a good idea..plus it'll help towards more levels.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

As I recall, there is a pit in this area (12,24) ?? that
gets you back to the water even more directly. I traversed
this area at least a dozen times before finishing the game.
That dragon has to go, IMHO. What I think I did was to enter
the imaginary wall and entice the dragon back into the area
by the stairwell. Then I could retreat up stairs, recoup
my strength and go down at him again until he was gone.
Sundeep Nandra

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

I took the unusual step of fighting it in the area which you get "trapped" in, leaving the only exits as the two doors. However, I had a strange occurrence on my first two attempts of killing the dragon in that area. I suddenly fell down a pit (when there aren't meant to be any)....which is weird. Anyway, it worked in the end (I'm good at moving damn quickly on the keyboard..and I needed to be in this part especially).
FoxBat

Post by FoxBat »

Hehe, thats because in the two rooms where you can manuver in, there is a square with a hidden floorplate (which is unavoidable if your using the cheap two-stepping method). You can hear it when you step on it (guess you don't play with sound?) and after stepping on it a certain number of times, a pit opens up. Devious design choice, which is why I gave up on trying to kill him in that room. Guess you have some fast feet.
Sundeep Nandra

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

I do hear the sound...wondered what it was but gave up on it. I did step on it a hell of a number of times when killing that dragon..but I do move at a very fast pace. Thanks for the information about that pit.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

A quick peek at the ASCII dump produced by CSB for Windows
shows that this pressure pad needs to be stepped on only eight
times to open the pit. Less than "A Hell of a number" ;-)

In DMUTE it is the cell at level 3 (or 4 in DMUTE) (20,32)
and the hex value 0406 (bits 7 thru 15). The 6 means it
is a counter. In binary:

cccccccccttttttt c=count=8 t = type=6
Sundeep Nandra

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

oh trust me..it was a lot more than 8..I didn't use magic....ran around instead. That area is just plain weird. Anyway..I killed the dragon without falling down the pit..that's what counts :).
DjArcas
Apprentice

Post by DjArcas »

Hehe.. I managed to kill the dragon by landing on it (falling through a pit on top of it...)

I couldn't figure out what had happened, until I realised I was surrounded by bits of armour and a key... :)

The world's only telefrag outside of Doom? :)
Don Deibler

Post by Don Deibler »

Wow! I thought I was the only one who 'fell out of the sky' onto the dragon. Glad it happened to someone else.
Halk

Post by Halk »

I killed him 20 minutes ago with a nice trick.. :)
Fall down the pit you are asked to (you end up in the area with the pressure pad and the door opened with a gold key)

As you know the pressure pad, when stepped on, after a short delay opens a section of wall.

Cast a 6445 (fireshield) and have everyone else ready with 631 (poison cloud) spells.

Stand on the pad, and go to sleep.

If the fireshield runs out, cast another.

When you are awoken it will be by the dragon. Cast another fireshield and then cast a poison cloud at him.

He'll step backwards, follow him, and when the wall closes behind him (trapping him between 2 walls on his left and right, he is facing you and his back is to the wall that closes) open up with a ton of 631 spells on him. Have your entire party drop all their mana on him. If you have VEN bombs, then that's a good time to use them (I never bother with them, quicker to sleep the mana back from casting them, and I can cast them faster than I can throw em anyway).

Dragon will die, and if you are lucky you won't have any fatalities. It's perfectly safe to sleep in the spot you are now standing.
petrih3
Novice

Post by petrih3 »

horn of fear is quite useful here. you can avoid falling down the pits by retrieting back to the corridors leading to the doors. if the dragon follows, blow the horn like a mad man and you'll scare him away :) you'll have some time to prepare healing potions while the dragon restores his courage.

well, that's how i killed him anyway ;)
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

If your quick enough freeze the dragon beneath a pit with a freeze life box then get past the black flames and jump on him it works with Mongor aswell.
petrih3
Novice

Post by petrih3 »

i have always preferred close combat because i've thought that i get the most experience that way. how much experience your characters gain if you kill monsters with pits, doors, falling/teleporting on them etc.?
Halk

Post by Halk »

Well yeah, but by that point my guys already had plenty of experience from fighting the ant men, vexirks, deth knights in Ku.

Then again dragons aren't the most lethal of opponents in DM/CSB.