a mysterious lock

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sphenx
On Master

a mysterious lock

Post by Sphenx »

Hi all,

I've a question about a mysterious lock that appears at (31,16,4) in CSB, behind 3 fake walls.
This lock is known in the Atari version, but I saw it in the Amiga version.
The problem is that it seems this lock doesn't appear in all new games created, what's make
it weird. However I'm sure I approached it at least one time.

The version game I used is the v3.3 (for Amiga).
(by the way, does anyone know an ADF of it? mine can't work on emulators)

Is anyone else have experienced this trouble (with the v3.3 or other version)??
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: a mysterious lock

Post by Gambit37 »

Haven't a clue about a lock at that position - there's certainly nothing there on the PC or Amiga versions that I checked with DMute. Are you sure it was in an Amiga version? Where are the fake walls too? According to DMute that position is near the entrance room where force fields need to be turned off using coins. Is this the point you mean, or are the coordinates incorrect?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Aha, just looked at this in the CSB4win (atari) .dat, and i see what you mean - there is a lock requiring lockpicks to open. What happens in that at that area is that if you pry the gem off of the wall, then fireballs will start coming down the previous corridor to hit you. Walking backwards a step holding the gem, you open the first false wall, so that if you have the lockpicks you can use them on the now revealed lock and open the other two false walls and escape from this area without becoming toast : ) (one way leading back to the original worm room)

To Gambit: The co-ordinates are correct in the atari version, ands you have the correct area, so I don't know what the difference is between the two
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

How strange - you're right, I just looked at the CSB4Win.dat file in DMute and indeed there are three secret walls there with the lock-pickable lock. That's definitely not in the Amiga version that I looked at though - it's all solid wall.

I'm going to see now what other differences there may be between the two...
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

You needn't get through this wall to avoid becoming toast.
Before entering and taking the gem, close the first wooden
door (the one nearest the source of the fireballs). Take the
gem and run back to the door, which will absorb the first fireball.
Then simply time your movements back to the stairway to the
Dragon area which will turn off the fireballs.

PAul
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

Hehe, fireballs aren't a problem, my heroes are all Pal Master in Priest and they can make
good ful bro neta shields..

I remind you the problem: the lock is in the Atari version and is supposed to be not in
the Amiga version. That's why it is not in the map on this site.
I had the game on Amiga and I saw this lock.
The only difference is that I've another game version that the one Cristophe had.
But what's weird too is that this lock is not present in my current savegames!

Maybe the game code is different and alter the original mini.dat?..
I can't have dreamt this lock! I really saw it!

First of all, is anyone have played the version 3.3 (Amiga)?
grab

Post by grab »

i never played the amiga version but i know that the st/amiga version have a difference between them: there s no lockpick in the amiga version.

maybe the developpers revised the game and supressed this lock due to the absence of lockpicks?
reed

Post by reed »

on some other thread there was discussion about how they had to remove the mysterious scroll in order to have the magic map in the amiga version... maybe the lockpicks had to be tossed out as well?
Sundeep Nandra

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

Ahh I remember looking at this in the Chaos Strikes Back Level Editor on the ST when I was hmm..how old...well when CSB first came out. I was trying to cheat (to open thingsu up and try to make life easier as I kept getting totally lost) and this just so happens to be the part I was trying to edit on the map.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

There are lockpicks in the Amiga version of CSB - they are carried by a giggler. It's Dungeon Master Amiga that doesn't have lockpicks.
Esturk17

Post by Esturk17 »

I am playing through CSB for Amiga and have aquired some lockpicks from a Giggler. I have used them to open a Golden Key lock.
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

There are actually two. When I played on my amiga I got one from a giggler and one lying around on the top level. I thought they were useless until I found this site. There many, many minor differences between the two versions, amiga and atari. When I'm playing CSBWin I find all of these little things. There maybe 30 or more.