Race to the Ful Ya Pit

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Le sourd

Re: Race to the Ful Ya Pit

Post by Le sourd »

Hello. Je suis un peu largué par l'anglais. mais je dois comprendre qu'il s'agit de battre un record en finissant plus vite CSB. n'est-ce pas?

si c'est ça, c'est IMPOSSIBLE!!!! le jeu est trop dur! Alors comment faites-vous pour finir très rapidement le jeu malgré les vicieuses trappes, les monsters pervers et le seigneur du chaos froid comme la mort????

explicit to me comment vous faites pour finir tout ça.

félicitations les plus sincères pour tous ces records :)

BYE-BYE
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Simple, il suffit de regarder les films ("movies") disponibles en téléchargement sur la page de chaos strikes back for windows.
Comme ca, tu pourras voir "en direct" les techniques utilisées par les compétiteurs!
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

By the way: Congratulations for over a year of this competition (or at least the thread)... ;)
DjArcas
Apprentice

Post by DjArcas »

My god. I think I took 20-odd hours to complete the game last time I tried.

*impressed*
Flora

Death Row

Post by Flora »

Man I made it I went into the deth row.
You have to try to pick lock the appropriate doors and you find yourself in the prison in the deth row.
you can't go out. you have to wait that your character becomes hungry then a golem open the door and gives you food. kill him and you're free.
The race is cool but I would add another contest: go everywhere and find everything. that is longer than just running to the ful ya pit. me think.
but also it is funnier.

Do not you think?
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

There is already a check option for that (Items remaining) in CSBwin - combined with the traces I'm sure an evaluation could be made.

Regards, PitD
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

I did this with chaos once, but there was a big bug which made 2 of my corbums simply dissapear, it was to do with put chest to the eye on csb4win but it is fixed now. Anyway, i got every item and put them in the room shown on the items remaining list. It took me about 9 hours i think, i do have a game of DM which has no bugs when i get every item down to the dragon level, took me about 9 hours aswell. If anyone wants a copy just email me.

Antman
Flora

Post by Flora »

to " Le sourd"
ok c'est simple. ils tuent pas grand chose ont des perso de merde a la fin du jeu mais ils courrent vite pour trouver les items necessaires.
voila
c marrant mais je prefere prendre mon temp et avoir des perso infectissimes :)

a++
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I just watched the current winning entry of 18 minutes by Antman and noticed that there's quite a lot of significant mistakes and pure bad luck. There's also the issue that Antman always turns before rounding a corner -- if you omit that move, it can be even faster.

I estimate that it's possible to complete it in between 10-12 minutes if you're very careful
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

I got a new record, 18mins and 23 seconds. I am positive i can beat it.

4th
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

I got another record, 16 minutes and 46 seconds. I reckon i can beat this aswell. Maybe even a sub 15 minute game is possible.

1st
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Nice one. I still keep make a balls of the keys of B bit at the junction of the ways.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

This is getting inhuman... if any of you guys start telling me you'd actually saved time while making a new record I'd not be surprised very much by now...

Regards, PitD
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I wouldn't say we were inhuman. Stamm, Hawk and Buzzzz certainly are
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

I got an new record, 15mins and 13.5 seconds. I still think i can get under 15mins, so i will keep trying.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Antman, have you tried changing your movement style? By not turning before corners, I'm sure you would be even faster!
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

I got a new record, 15minutes and 8 seconds, but i am positive i can get under 15 minutes.
Gambit, i don't think it would save any time because when you are turning a corner it is instantaneous but when moving foward or backward there is a time delay. Any ideas for saving time are welcome though!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I think what gambit is trying to say is that all movement advances the clock by a tick, whether that be a turn, or sidestep etc. So to go round a 90 degree bend, using sidestep instead of turning and then moving forward would save you a mighty 1/6th of a second.
However if extra ticks is removed, this 'instantaneous' turn IS delayed the same as a forward move therefore adding the 1/6th of a second on PLUS the delay time.
In practice, with extra ticks activated, I find that the sidestepping technique has to be implemented correctly with your planned route through the dungeon or you don't really save any time and end up bashing in to a lot of things or having to turn anyway. It also interupts the flow.

Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

I got a new record under 15 minutes finally. Its 12 minutes and 59 seconds. This record was incredibly lucky because i found the boots of speed and i think it would almost impossible for me to beat. I send the record to Paul.S to verify and hopefully he will pass it on to Christophe to put on DMWeb.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Well, you gotta see this to believe it. Antman has
won CSB in 12 minutes 59 seconds with a reincarnated
Buzzzz. Find the movie named MovieCSB1259.rar
at http://dianneandpaul.net. I cannot imagine this
record being broken soon.

[sixth attempt....two more than average]
rain

ALMOST BROKEN

Post by rain »

1 year later...

I've been trying again to beat the record of 12 minutes and 59 seconds and I came SO CLOSE but ended up mighty second =[ It's not completely flawless though, I reloaded the saved game from a point near the end and shaved 22 seconds off it but its not in the playback.log so I'm not going to deal with 'touching it up'. This is 1 run, no reloading, all CSB beaten in an approach nobody has used yet (watch it you'll see what I did). I've tried so many times to beat 13 minutes but i simply can't, as you can see I utilize every item in the dungeon i pickup because at the end im left with nearly an empty inventory =].

heres the link:

http://www.qwplayers.org/~rain/Paul%20G ... 034sec.zip

So I put myself into 2nd place with 13 minutes and 34 seconds. The only way to get any time near that is to find speed boots VERY early in the game and

Maybe someone will now try and beat the record again? Spark some interest in this challenge I love so much (Only in CSB could you make such an awesome challenge!)

-rain

Post by Guest »

"So I put myself into 2nd place with 13 minutes and 34 seconds. The only way to get any time near that is to find speed boots VERY early in the game and"

thats supposed to be:

So I put myself into 2nd place with 13 minutes and 34 seconds. The only way to get any time near that is to find speed boots VERY early in the game and have some great luck!
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Wow. That takes courage to go that route after all that work.
You just about did not make it.

You have several seconds worth of turns that were unnecessary.
A lot of time was spent getting those Mummies into their cells. Would
the Horn of Fear have helped? You probably tried it and found that
it was no better than War Cry.

Several tricks I had not remembered seeing. Very nicely done.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i don't understand how you pick the 3rd corbum just after the 2nd... or you were so fast that i missed one key ! :)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

found it :)
Antman wrote:You DON'T have to do Ros. At the Ku corbum place, infront of the pressure pad there is a pit and it is fake. The pit has a pressure plate on it which activates the Ros corbum pits. This allows you to get the Ros corbum and the Ku corbum at the same time!!! This should take a quarter of the time of the race. So you don't have to do any of Ros at all inclueding before and after the DDD
rain

Post by rain »

Interesting, I always thought by nabbing the horn of fear you actually setup a chain of triggers which spawned lord chaos and began a repetative chain of spawns on 00(33,40) demon respawn actuator. It seems now that I look back again that it only happens if you pick up any 3 of these items...

strange =]

I guess i'll have to try again with the horn of fear, maybe i can beat the record after all!

I think luck has the most to do with it. For one, speed boots cut the time by 5 minutes or more (50%-75%) Then at level 0, it is possible to not even need a master key if the teleporter is activated (It's a one shot deal, either it is or isnt depending on the route of the worm =]). Then, if the worm happened to make BOTH teleporters activated you could skip the demon chaimber entirely which would save probably a good minute or 2. Perhaps its possible to get single digit minutes in best case scenario =].
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

the chain of events is supposed to happen as you get closer to completion - so three of the corbums recoevered, really
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Wow! Thats brialliant!

That way, it should be possible to complete under 13 minutes without the boots of speed......and around 10 minutes with them. Only one way to find out.....
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Made a record of 16 and a half minutes without the boots of speed and full of mistakes, so it should easily be possible with the boots. I used ressurected Plague, but even with training i couldnt get him anywhere near as powerful as Rain's plague. How did you get him to be an Expert wizard? And have so much health and mana? More mana would be the key to faster times not including the boots. I trained my guy for around an hour and got him to an adept wizard, by then i had ran out of my food bar and had to save.
rain

What do you do when offered drugs?

Post by rain »

Execute the BROKEN RECORD!

http://www.qwplayers.org/~rain/Paul%20G ... 02282m.zip

12 minutes, 18 seconds, 2282 moves, reincarnated plague, no speed boots!

Its the same sequence as before except executed nearly perfectly. Unforunately near the end when nabbing the last corbum i got a bug where it just 'haults' everything for like 2 minutes and locks up. I think its related to my computer's clock though, not CSB4win itself, because I was talking on aol instant messanger and my messages (timestamped) actually listed as being 'earlier' then a previous statement.

And antman, After reincarnating, go strait to the rockpiles and cast light while they are infront of you. you gain more experience for being a) on level 2 and b) infront of a monster (and rockpiles give more experience then mummies by 25%). After reincarnating I got to craftsman on one bar of mana, then did some various non-attack related magic like fireshield, shield, footprints, etc infront of rockpiles.

As far as my plague being more powerful, Perhaps Paul Stevens should make a modification to the rules or have a few preset saved games to start on. I only say Paul Stevens because he started the tournament and I'll follow his set of rules.

Antman: You can take my csbgame3.dat and play off that to try and reclaim your throne =] Then we can say for sure the only variables in the equation are skill and the dungeon's random mechanics.

Maybe tomarrow I'll keep trying, in hopes that speed boots appear. I can nearly beat CSB with my eyes closed now from playing it so many times.

-rain`