Gems search!

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Cecil

Gems search!

Post by Cecil »

Before I enter the Skullkeep, I want to buy perfect armour and weapons for my characters. In order to do that, apart from cions, I also need gems. Where can I find them?! I mean, I have hundreds of gold, silver, and copper coins and emeralds, but I can't finf rubys and sapphires(or whatever the red and blue gems or called)!!!!!!! I'd really like to find them! Only then will I be able to buy the ful set of the "tech" items and this great blue steele! Thanks in advance, you guys!
Sundeep Nandra

Re: Gems search!

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

well...to be honest, I don't think you can find any blue gems out here...but I do think you can find a red gem in a blood fountain (near a shop) just outside the back entrance to the little dungeon which you first come across after going through the graveyard. To get red and blue gems at this stage of the game, kill lots of barbarians and pile up their axes in the shop in-front of the selling table (this is a key point). Now what you do is this.....put some axes on the table and the moment you notice the shopkeeper coming around the corner quickly step right twice. You will be standing at the purchasing table and he will turn on his heel, not reaching the selling table, and proceed with the purchasing procedure. Once he is seated, with the item to sell on the table, run back to the selling table, put some more axes on it, and again run to the purchasing table when he is coming around the corner. Eventually, when you sell however many it is, he will give you the applicable amount of money (starting in the highest form of money and moving down). That is the way to get lots of blue and red gems at this stage of the game...but it is time consuming.

When you are in Skullkeep, you can use the Tech Shield on one of those floor teleporters (like the one next to the fountain in the open area at the start of the game, near the shops). They teleport to and from each other, sending you in and out of Skullkeep. Further into it, you'll come across a second way to come out into the forests somewhere. Hope this all helps
lazygamer
Novice

Post by lazygamer »

Three things you should know.

1: You don't have to have exact change to buy that expensive stuff. All your currencies convert automatically. Just have a shitload of money and give it to the guy. Don't worry, he'll give change.

2: If you put your money box on the sell table, the shop owner will take it and automatically change the money in it the most lightest form possible. Then of course he'll give it back(duh :) ).

3: You can bargain with the shop keeper. If you give him a little less then the asking price, he will think about the offer by tilting his head with his hand to his chin. If you accepts it he will nod and sell you the item, if he declines he will not sell you it until you raise your offer. If he's doing too much thinking then your offer is simply not up to par. Keep raising it little by little until he accepts.

This is all covered in the manual. I assumed that you probably downloaded the game off the net so you don't have the manual. I'll give you a bit more manual info if you want.
L-Mo

Post by L-Mo »

Actually blue gems can be found somewhere real deep under ground. It's the place where creatures come out from the craters in the floor and blow into pieces right under your nose like a fireball.

Down there, just keep moving or cast minions to stay alive.
Sundeep Nandra

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

But you have to get into Skullkeep for that area to be accessible in the first place as it is down from the generator room. You're right though, blue gems are down there (if I remember correctly)
richard

Post by richard »

you guys are crazzy no blue gems you i have 4 of the you get them bye just coleting axes then out them all next to the counter wher your going to sell them (note this is mabout 40-50 axes mite want to use magic book or some thing) thenput as many on the table as you can befor he comes then move to the buying table adn wait for him the put as many as you can on once agin afer you get all of the on when you sell it he will give you a blue gem and maby more :)
Proteus

Post by Proteus »

Yes, you CAN find blue gems. You find them at the lowest level of the game, below where you fight the poison ogre. Just drop down one of the pits, and you come to a nice little area with walking firebombs that pop out of lava pits in the ground. They walk up to you and explode, and they hurt a lot. You can only damage them with a Dispel Spell, which I can't remember the correct spell names as I don't go by them, I just remember the icons. I'm sure you can find it easily on this site though. There are cave-ins which hurt a lot too, so be careful of them. You can just attack them to break them down after they fall. (you're not trapped, don't worry). There are a few places to get blue gems in the walls, just like the green gems above. They regenerate very slowly, though. I'm pretty sure it takes a lot longer than the green ones. So, just snag them and probably not bother coming back, unless you're really bored and need the money. It's kind of a dangerous spot, the firebombs can cause a lot of damage, and they're silent... untill they explode.

And.. the best method of getting blue gems by piling up massive axes, is to set an item he has instock on the blue selector, then walk to the buying counter and wait for him to set it. Then, quickly run over to the selling counter and put the axes on as fast as you can. Right as he starts to walk up, run back to the other counter. When he sets an item down, it delays him, so you get a lot more time to put axes on the other table, and if you move away before he walks up and takes them, you can keep putting them there.

Hope this helps.
Zelmo

Post by Zelmo »

Again, keep in mind that Cecil wants to get decked out BEFORE he enters Skulkeep, and the only way to the firebomb level is through Skulkeep. The important things for you to remember, Cecil, are that the shopkeepers (all of them) will change your money into the highest denomination possible (the conversion rate is four of any item = the next higher item) if you set your money box on the selling table (that is, where you sell stuff to him, or the left table as you're looking at it).
With that in mind, there are two great areas for acquiring goods that you can sell to the shopkeepers. As was mentioned in a couple of posts already, the giants leave two axes apiece when you kill them, and you can always go back for more giants, as they seem to grow on trees. ;)
The other place, and the one that I prefer, is in the area of the first clan key, where the thorn demons are. This area has a few advantages: firstly, killing the thorn demons gives you an abundant supply of steaks, ensuring that you never go hungry. Secondly, while they do a fair amount of damage, thorn demons don't hit as hard as giants, and they're slow enough that they're easy to out-maneuver in case you need to run away or just want to avoid getting hit. This also makes them excellent targets for increasing your fighter and ninja skills. Keep in mind, though, that they watch out for each other, and if one lets out a roar as you start hitting him, any others within earshot will lumber over to help him out. Thirdly, as you enter the thorn demon area, if you turn left and walk up to the hedges, there's a ladder there (maybe one step to the right) that goes down into a bat cave. Go down, turn right, and walk to the wall. One step to the left is a hole with a green gem in it. If you take that gem, another will eventually grow in its place.
With all these resources at our disposal, my method, once I've taken the green gem, is to start killing thorn demons in whatever manner best suits my needs for advancement in fighter or ninja skills. Of course, as the mana increases over time, I keep my peeps well versed in their wizard and priest skills (often with vi potions to make up for hits from the thorn demons). After about a dozen thorn demons have materialized and been contended with, a new green gem will be ready for the taking. I grab that and run back into town to sell the extra steaks I got from killing thorn demons. My way of laying down a large number of items on the selling table differs slightly from what's been explained in other posts; I stand in the middle, between the two tables, and get the steaks ready to move (either by opening a seckful of them or changing the leader to someone who is loaded with them). Then I get into a rhythm of picking up a steak, stepping left, putting it on the table, and stepping right. After a few seconds you're able to repeat this over and over pretty smoothly, and as you're not standing in front of the table for more than half a second at a time, the shopkeeper doesn't bother to come out. Dump all your steaks on the table this way, and them stand in front of it. The shopkeeper will come out and take all of it, and will usually pay you a red gem, one or two green gems, and a little change. Add to that the green gem that you got underground, and you will have made a healthy profit. After doing all this several times, you not only end up filthy rich (with far more money than you'll ever use), but you get very healthy as your party advances their skills.
One final note on weapons and armor, since you're doing all this to get the best there is: Check the characteristics of all the stuff you're considering buying. For example, the Fire Poleyn has the very useful trait of giving its wearer 10 extra strength, the fire plate increases the wearer's anti-fire (and don't get too macho about whether you buy it with breasts or not-- the "bumpy" one gives you the same protection but weighs less), the Techelm adds to your wisdom, and for something not quite as protective but very useful, the cloak of night gives you more dexterity. As for weapons, although the Blue Steel is a very good sword and has the best blade around, the Vorax will hit MUCH harder than anything else if your fighters can handle it. You'll find the Vorax at the weapon shop behind the giants' area, and you can get as many as you want.
Happy hunting!
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

About that money change thing with the merchants, I suggest you check your money before and after. I tried this awhile ago with the Moon Clan Weapon Merchant and he stole a lot of money. I had 138 blue gems and after trying to get him to convert some red and green gems, I went down to 12 blue gems. Needless to say I blasted him to death and killed his guard next. Then I had to reset the game.
"... the shop owner will take it and automatically change the money in it the most lightest form possible." No kidding, my money box became light as a feather after that.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

i just give my purse+axes to him, then he does all by himself. when hes busy with the first some axes, i put the rest on the table. but you dont really need THAT much money. oh, do you sell the axes in the axemen shop (bad idea) or in the starting town (good idea)?
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Nobody needs that much money indeed. I'm just trying to find out for sure if there is a money limit. I sell axes and daggers at the Sun Clan Village, and machetes, bainblooms, and blue Steeles at the Moon Clan Village. The best way to make money however, is to repeatedly take all your staves and mana blossoms to the vexirk vat to make serpent staves. The staves and mana blossoms will reappear in the Axeman area most of the time, and when they don't, just buy some staves (even if they were sold out, when they don't reappear at the Axemen area) at the Sun Clan Village and pick some more blossoms. Then sell your serpent staves to the Magic Merchant. I still suggest you check your money box before and after. Another, slower way to make money, is to buy flasks at the Magic Shop, make Ful Bro Ku potions, and sell them back for a very small profit. The good thing about this is that you get Priest practice (now I know why they took out the Zo Ven spell).
Harkonnen

Post by Harkonnen »

The limit for the ammount of money is VALUE=65535.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

No it isn't! I have a value over 100000. Where did you come up with that figure?
Simon

Post by Simon »

A note about those fire creatures at the bottom of skullkeep... it takes too much mana to bother dispelling them. Instead, try letting them onto the same square as you, then quickly move. They will explode, and you will be unharmed, saving you mana.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Why Spend alot of time running around looking for gems? Expecially in the deep area of skullkeep where you find the blue gem. Just go and kill axemen and more axemen and even some more axemen and sell the axes and get yourself 10 blue gems in quite short time and on the way you are getting good fighting experience too... wont take you long to reach master fighter by killing axemen for gems ... as they give you alot of dmg and dmg taken is giving you fighter experience too :)
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Because nobody spends "alot of time" looking for them. It doesn't take long to collect them. I explained the fastest way to get money, and it doesn't involve Axemen. I have never gotten 10 blue gems from selling axes in quite short time. I still kill them and sell their axes, but they take awhile to regenerate. If anyone knows a faster way to get money then what I suggested above, please share with us. I'm currently trying to see what the limit is.
Goro

Post by Goro »

I'm a perfectionist player, so before I enter tower i must have complete equip, which can be found/bought. If you spend some time on running, killing and collecting items (mana blosoom, steaks, that strange mushrooms) and selling them, after 10 trips you can have about 5-6 blue gems (yes, that most valuable ones). Gems are really easy-to-get. Last time I played (about 6 years ago) I tried to hoard as many gems as it will be possible and stopped, when I had about 50 blue gems. It took me about one day of hoarding.
/Goro
Harkonnen

Post by Harkonnen »

Christopher: I can have more than 65535, but the shopkeeper then refuses to change the copper/silver coins. Your shopkeeper contines to exchange?
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

In the dos version he does. If the the total item count is high (many bones laying around in Axeman area), he may short change you. If you are also going for a high gem count, I suggest using both money boxes: one for blue gems only, and the other for everything else. The reason for this is because if you have a certain amount of blue gems and you try to have a merchant change you smaller valued gems and coins, he will take some of your blue gems in the process. Right now I have a value over 400000 in blue gems. Make sure you have at least four of the type of coin\gem you are trying to change.
Caleb

Post by Caleb »

Thats strange in the sega cd version i figured out bymyself that you could sell axes and it worked the only thing is that i killed all the axemen and they were not regenerating. ps I hate those dogs
Andy Smith

Post by Andy Smith »

Just a quick one...

When selling large quantities of any one good (e.g. Axes), first place on the table something that the shopkeeper does not want to buy (e.g. in a Weapons shop - an empty flask would do).

The shopkeeper will now give you a strange look but won't revolve the table to change the good.

Now all you need to do is pile up Axes (or whatever) to your heart's content and when you've finished, pick up the initial (non-sale) object you put down first!

All your axes will be traded for their value in gems/coins at the first attempt.

No more right-stepping!!

btw This works best with an object like a palmapple or a flask - that are different shapes to axes and you can therefore pick them up easier.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

I tried to see the money limit thing. I've put 512 blue gems in my money box, which makes it at 524288. My conclusion is that there is not 'really' a money limit. Why does that mean? The blue gems belong the 'misc item' category. During the game, you cannot have more than 1020 items for each category. So you may consider that the max money is around 1000000 (a blue gem is 1024 money units). In computer machine, that means the money is a value coded with 20 bits, or less than 3 bytes. We don't like integers coded with 3 bytes, so it must be 4 bytes. Which makes the theorical money limit to 4 milliards. Then we're actually limited by the number of items we can have during the game and not by a hard-coded money limit. If you have around 1 million, you can consider you're almost at the limit. File closed.
Dungeon digger

Post by Dungeon digger »

Yo lads!

Emm, for my personal collection, i've spent 2-3 days and 1-3 hours and slaying axemens and steal their axes.

11 blue gems, 6 red, 32 gold, 2 silver, COUNTLESS copper!

easy, take something to buy put a copper on on the buying table, let the shopkeeper stand there.

Then run over and u got about 1 1.5 minutes to pile up the axes for sell!

I got about 1 blue and 3 red as max at the same time!

Hard work but rewarding :)

"Dungeon digger and retinue"
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

As someone mentioned before, try placing a Palmapple or a Chest on the sell table, then you can spend as much time as you want putting Axes on the sell table.
I can tell that you aren't too far into the game by mentioning "hard work but rewarding" for finding 1 blue gem and 3 red gems. Later you'll be able to make money in better ways and a blue gem won't be so special.
Ulmo

Post by Ulmo »

By the way, does anyone know the conditions required to get new blue gems on the bottom level ?
Is it just waiting enough time, or is there somewhere an actuator ?
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

They are a one time only thing, just like one of the Green Gem areas in the worm/skeleton cave. It seems that if the wall produces more gems, then you can't put the gem back into the wall, but if that is the only gem that it will make, then you can put it back in. That's one way to check. As for the others (green gems), I think it may be a combination of time and an actuator, but that is just a guess.
Ulmo

Post by Ulmo »

Too bad, my memory fooled me. I had said that blue gems, and also the ceil's floods in the same area, can happen more than once.

Thanks for your reply.
olivier

Post by olivier »

about the first tip given by sundeep nandra,
there is another way to have a lot of money (every kind)
in the room where you need the four clan keys,
there is a switch in a wall behind a light,
take the rock, and keep it with you,
next go to the first bat cave, kill 80-100 bats
(don't worry, it just take 1-2 hours)
for that use the bag, the chest & your band's hands/bagpack,
next go to the tavern, put the rock on the exchange table,
then put your 100 bats, when you have finished, take back the rock.
the merchant will give you between 1 green & 2 red gems.
you just have to do that during 1-2 days and you'l be a rich man,
and that gives you a good training in ninja/sorcerer/priest levels
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

If you really insist on spending that much time killing bats, I suggest you also cast a Carry Minion to help you transport the most dead bats possible back to the Sun Clan Tavern Merchant to sell.
Keep in mind you can get just as much practice killing Axemen or Thorn Demons, and you'll make more money that way. You can always cast a few Guard Minions around the Bat regenerator and go attack some Thorn Demons, or Axemen, or Thicket Thieves.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”