Dungeon Master 2 Music

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Rascarcapac

Dungeon Master 2 Music

Post by Rascarcapac »

Is there any way to extract the DM2 music?
Or can I download it from somewhere?

Thanks
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Dungeon Master 2 Music

Post by Gambit37 »

Which version of DM2?
Rascarcapac

Post by Rascarcapac »

Hmmm... PC or Mac
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

PC version doesn't have music, except a test midi file and in the start and end movies. Don't know about the Mac version, never been able to get it run. The Amiga version has some MOD music which I have somewhere... you can also find it on Allister Brimble's website I believe... I can't remember the url, but I'm sure a search would show it up.
Click

Post by Click »

I had an old machine that I was able to run DM2 for PC fine on ( someone else is currently borrowing it so I'm left with a not so good working DM2 ) but on the old machine I did have music during the game. I really miss it too, on the machine I have now I had to install an older sound card in addition to my Live card to be able to get game sounds but still no music. Point being, are you sure the PC version didn't have music?

Click.

BTW, if anyone does know where I can find the music, I would love to have it also. I can maybe play it on my MD while I play DM2. :)
Sundeep Nandra

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

The PC version of DM2 does have music...but it's just not written on the disk as specific files...I think it's written into the game.
Click

Post by Click »

Whee,

I figured out how to get CTCM.exe, aweutil.exe, and autoexec.bat, and the DM2 setup all working together properly to get sound AND music in DM2.

Click.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

My apologies - there is music in PC DM2 after all. I had never noticed before that It was set to 0 volume.... doh!

I suspect that the data is stored in GRAPHICS.DAT as that is where everything else appears to be stored (graphics and sound effects). Does someone fancy trying to program a ripper for the music files. I've already got the sound effects out of this, but the music would be cooler...
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Dungeon Master 2 Music: Extraction complete!

Post by ChristopheF »

I managed to extract the Dungeon Master II music from the Graphics.dat file (PC version)

How I did it:

1) I noticed the two files test.raw and test.hmp in the game folder. These files are in fact used by the setup.exe file to test your sound configuration. The test.hmp file is a sort of MIDI file, this is a proprietary format by "Human Machine Interfaces" (look in the files HMI*.386 in the game's folder, they are sound drivers).

2) With a quick search on the web, I found HMP2MID.EXE, a small utility to convert .hmp files to .mid files. I tested it on test.hmp, and it worked.

3) I opened test.hmp with a hex editor, and noticed this string at the beginning of the file: HMIMIDIP013195. All .hmp files (well at least those used in DM2) begin with this string.

4) I searched this string in the graphics.dat file, and I found it several times. Using a hex editor, I copied the data between each occurence of the string, and saved each part in a separate .hmp file.

5) Then I converted all the .hmp to .mid files, and here they are! (29 files extracted and converted to MIDI files)

Dungeon Master II for PC Music - Zip file, 198 KB

PS: Gambit, how did you extract the sound effects? Will you put them online on your web site, or could you explain how to extract them2?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Dungeon Master 2 Music: Extraction complete!&l

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi Christophe

Getting the sound effects out can be done one of two ways. The first is to use your method and to search for a string that determines the beginning and end of each sample. However, I haven't been able to do this as the data appears to be inconsistent.

The second method is to open the file as a RAW sample in your sound editing program - I use Sound Forge 4.0. Set the format of the file to 11,025Khz 8-bit, and the data will be imported correctly. You can visually see where each sound stops and starts. Then it's just a question of copying the chunks of audio data into new files and saving them as WAVs.

I've done about half of these so far. I can send them to you if you like when I've finished. I have no interest in putting this kind of stuff on my website as it doesn't fit in with the scope of the project. However, I do have plans in the future to make a multimedia guide to each of the DM games, which will probably include all the sounds...
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Re: Dungeon Master 2 Music: Extraction complete

Post by ChristopheF »

I'd be gald to put the sound effects on the site. Thank you to send them to me when you have finished extracting them.

I hope someone will make a program to nicely extract all the contents of graphics.dat (graphics, sounds, music, anims)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hey, I just downloaded the DM2 music that you provided, and they sound great! I'm playing them at work on a good soundcard with a great MIDI soundbank, and they sound really effective. Shame they don't sound that good in the game itself....
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Thanks much for the MIDIs. They are much better without the game.

Sorry. I played the game but I was not too happy with it. I have the
MIDIs playing in the background while I do my other work. Neat!

PAul
Rascarcapac

Post by Rascarcapac »

Hey, thanks, this is so cool! :D
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Does anyone have a list of where each of the 30 MIDIs are used in DMII?

I was looking at putting the DMII resources into RTC and wanted to give each of the files a useful name!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I know where a few of them are played - the Thorn Demons music, the one I call "Thief Music" (through the Lightning door), and the "Home town" music. The latter is the last track. I did go through once and give them all names based on what they sounded like (for those where I didn't know where they were from...which is most of 'em) but that was a while ago and they've been deleted and re-downloaded since then.
Expert

Post by Daecon »

I just tried that link to download them, but it didn't work.

Are the MIDIs still online anywhere?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Novice

Post by Walter Mitty »

I was hoping the Sega CD music was just CDA tracks on the disc but they are not. I really like the music that plays when you enter a shop and the music for entering Skullkeep. Any idea how to extract it from the disc? Here's the contents of the disc:

File: ABS.TXT 1 KB 9/23/1994 10:36:17 AM
File: ANIM.FTL 6 KB 9/23/1994 10:36:17 AM
File: APPA.FTL 2 KB 9/23/1994 10:36:16 AM
File: BIB.TXT 1 KB 9/23/1994 10:36:17 AM
File: CD.DAT 1 KB 9/23/1994 10:36:17 AM
File: COPY_R.DOC 1 KB 9/23/1994 10:36:17 AM
File: DIRLIST.BIN 2 KB 9/23/1994 10:36:16 AM
File: DRVRBIOS.ABS 29 KB 9/23/1994 10:36:16 AM
File: DUNGEON.DAT 38 KB 9/23/1994 10:36:17 AM
File: ENDA.DAT 6956 KB 9/23/1994 10:36:17 AM
File: GRAPHICS.DAT 1496 KB 9/23/1994 10:36:17 AM
File: GRF1.FTL 9 KB 9/23/1994 10:36:17 AM
File: INT1.FTL 2 KB 9/23/1994 10:36:17 AM
File: MEM1.FTL 3 KB 9/23/1994 10:36:16 AM
File: PRIM.ABS 9 KB 9/23/1994 10:36:16 AM
File: SKUL.FTL 242 KB 9/23/1994 10:36:17 AM
File: SND1.FTL 4 KB 9/23/1994 10:36:17 AM
File: STRY.DAT 13637 KB 9/23/1994 10:36:17 AM
File: SWSH.DAT 364 KB 9/23/1994 10:36:17 AM
File: TITL.DAT 1976 KB 9/23/1994 10:36:17 AM
File: USIO.FTL 3 KB 9/23/1994 10:36:17 AM
File: VDEO.FTL 4 KB 9/23/1994 10:36:17 AM
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Is there any information on the dmweb site? I'm not sure if the dm2extractor tool also deals with the sega file format too...it might...;
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Walter Mitty wrote:I was hoping the Sega CD music was just CDA tracks on the disc but they are not. I really like the music that plays when you enter a shop and the music for entering Skullkeep. Any idea how to extract it from the disc? Here's the contents of the disc:
CDA isn't a format, it's just a pointer to the raw audio PCM data on the disc.

I have this audio on my machine which I ripped years ago, though I don't recall quite how I did it -- fairly certain I just ripped it using a standard CD ripper.

The files that show up in a directory listing will probably be shown as track 1 in data format. CDRWIN or any other reasonable tool will show this. Other tracks should be reported as Audio and can be ripped as normal.
ian_scho
High Lord

For those who want to include it in their own Dungeon

Post by ian_scho »

Music to DMII, Extracted by ChristopheF, in MIDI format. Paul and Gambit were right, you can just listen to this stuff in the background.

01 1:33 Ambient, birds in the background.
02 2:16 End of Boss type thumping jaunt, moody at times
03 2:28 Tingly, slightly shadowy and eerie. Good for ghosts and the like.
04 1:33 Marching onwards, with trumpets and all. Good for 'descending'.
05 1:59 Slow and moody, 'what's going to jump out around that next corner' type stuff
06 2:12 Up tempo, feels like I'm kinda running out of time!
07 2:38 Slow, simple and drawn out, was used to great effect in DMII when fighting cumbersome beasts.
08 2:08 Sort of 'middle aged', is the best I can describe it (and me). Use it in an area where the party can relax in.
09 4:18 The song meanders around without it grabbing your attention. Atmospheric at times, but then quickly vanishing back to the shadows.
10 2:17 Uses the xylophone, provides a melodic backdrop.
11 2:10 Quite different from the others, you'd use it for a change of scene.
12 1:57 A symphonic, marching affair
13 3:09 Starts off by sending a tingling down your spine. One for the graveyard.
14 2:21 Starts with a shrill (a fall), clever. Definately another one for avoiding in the dark.
15 1:33 (Is it me or are they starting to sound a bit samey now? - 03) Tingly, slightly shadowy and eerie.
16 1:42 (Yep - 07) Slow and cumbersome dit, more synth than before.
17 2:41 One for the woods with flute effect, a cheeky little song. Same idea as another, above.
18 2:16 You could use this in a 'misty' and cold dungeon. Not comfortable.
19 1:57 Slightly eerie again, not quite culminating to anything.
20 1:57 Much the Same as before... Am I starting to sound repetitive here?
21 1:57 Leads on from the previous song, but with added 'jingle' :P
22 1:57 Am I starting to sound repetitive here? More jingly jingly. I actually like jingle.
23 2:10 Very different fish. This must be the end boss, fight scene. Poff! Take that!
24 2:22 Like others before (part of 19), just plain ambient this time.
25 1:54 Starts off slow and methodical, half way though it's in your face, finishes quieter.
26 2:31 Siren sounds again, you just want it to go away... Better for an alien like genre.
27 2:08 Music for exiting out of a dungeon with... Ahh I can smell the fresh air. Joy!
28 3:05 Ooooah shit we've gone all moody and scary again.
29 2:09 Is this the final credits music? Oh, it's like where you start off in the room in DMII? Quite a cheerful one really.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

One time when I downloaded the tracks I gave 'em names mostly based on what they sounded like, except a few (the one I call "Thief music", after you go through the Lightning door, the Thorn Demon music, and Track 29, the "Home Town" music) where I knew which part of the game they were from. Then the comp's hard drive was reformatted and I downloaded 'em again but haven't been arsed to rename 'em again. The only one I really like to listen to is the Home Town music anyway. And I can play the upper part on piano keys :D.
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

I would gladly include some of the DM2 (or other) soundtracks into my custom, if it`s just possible on CSBwin (???). But I`m worried about the capacity of music files! If, say, 3 minutes long soundtrack could be packed to... 0.4 Mb with a great loose of its quality (1 minute = 120 kb => 10 seconds = 20 Kb or so)...
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Aren't Midi files really really dinky though? Smaller than mp3s and all that?
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Ameena: if so, I would include all additional stuff (music and sounds) in midi files to the custom for saving a lot of space !!! But I don`t know about that. I just want soundtrack/sound files to be as small as possible ! If MIDI helps here, that`s good !
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
Spoiler
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

ok, maybe music (soundtracks) in DM-like game wasn`t good idea. It might kill the gameplay and its atmosphere. But there`s also a sounds question; in Conflux additional sounds eats too much space! Maybe they`re in a space-eating format?I mean they`re beatifull, but large otherwise.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

The midi files are small enough to be included in a dungeon, in my opinion, you just need to set the right song to the ambience. Note that DMJava 1.5 only supports WAV style, for now, and these are much bigger than MIDI. Don´t know about the formats for CSBWin and RTC.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

RTC can handle MIDI and loads of other formats too.

Note that the way a MIDI tune plays is dependent on the instrument bank of the synthesiser on your sound card, so they can sound significantly different from machine to machine. Well, less so these days, but that was certainly true in the old DOS era.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I see, and THATS why the MIDI files are so small. So there are little hampsters in my machine reading off a simple music sheet, I see now.
Thx

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”