Any way to play dm2 for pc on win XP professional?

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
James Lloyd

Any way to play dm2 for pc on win XP professional?

Post by James Lloyd »

Since my old laptop broke and was unable to fix it, i had to get a new laptop and its a win XP professional this time. i reinstalled dm2 for the PC and loaded it up however, once i get to the setup screen, it freezes. is there any other way to play dm2 without it freezing?

thanks in advance.

James Lloyd
Mystic Unicorn

Re: Any way to play dm2 for pc on win XP professional?

Post by Mystic Unicorn »

No way, :((( Sorry DM2 hates Windows :o)))
Joepie

Post by Joepie »

Yes, there is a way, you can run it through vmware, simulating a dos box.
I know, it is a hassle, and it is expensive, but it can be done.
James Lloyd

Post by James Lloyd »

i should guess. the newer type of computers are completely unreliable for old games, well nearly everything has a disadvantage, and this problem is certainly one of them. v.v

thanks for the help anyways.
luna

Post by luna »

the amiga version run without any problem with the great amiga emulator WINUAE http://www.winuae.net/

the best and simple solution imo
Harkonnen

Post by Harkonnen »

luna: Amiga version has at least poor graphics compared to the PC version.

But - it works :)
I'm just now ripping the tiles and icons to build DMJAVA map for DM II.
Ken White

Post by Ken White »

It's really easy for Windows ME, but I haven't tried XP. Just start your PC from the rescue disk and it gives you a DOS session which WILL run DM2. You just need to add a DOS mouse driver.
doskiller

Post by doskiller »

Hi,
err, just use the bootdisk provided on this site!! has sound drivers for sound blaster live card - i used a serial mouse instead of my ps/2 mouse. Also found that turning off midi stopped erratic mouse behaviour...
Good luck.

http://dmweb.free.fr/Downloads/BootDisk.rar
Daniel (Sweden)
Craftsman

Post by Daniel (Sweden) »

What is "Vmware" That Joepie talks about? Is it a program, or a machine or a service???

/Daniel (Sweden)
Joepie

Post by Joepie »

Check out www.vmware.com for more information.

Basically it is software with which you can create a virtual computer within a window on your Windows (NT/2000/XP) installation.

The Virtual computer has its own hardware and software environment, so you can install DOS, or any version of Windows or even Linux on it. It is not just a simple simulation; you really have to install the OS within the VM. I haven't ran into any compatibility issues, so it should - I haven't gotten time to try it yet - run DMII like a dream.

If you have enough memory in your PC, you will hardly notice a performance drop between the two computers running simultaneously. Anyways if you run DMII in the VM box, you could still download stuff from the web on your WinXP side.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”