Reading walkthrough and...

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Simon

Reading walkthrough and...

Post by Simon »

I was just reading the walkthrough, and it seems to me that you should really rewrite it from the perspective of someone playing normally, not with modded crits!

DON'T read on if you are not interested in information that could spoil the enjoyment of playing.

I read this:

"There are lots of green gems, a scepter and other good stuff here plus the Kalan glove. What I did was send in lots of fighters to finish off the gorilla thentook my time examining the place. There is a trap here with a crushing spiked wall but you can easily avoid this by not stepping on the pressure plate."

This completely defeats the objective - the trap is there to kill the monster, that much is obvious. You should really put that into the walkthrough.

"You can't defeat the guard at the shop no matter what you do (I know because I tried - my group are archmasters at everything yet they failed). "

A group of archmasters? This is obviously going to mean the person writing the walkthrough has no concept of how difficult the various sections are. Incidentally you can kill the shop guards fairly easily with a high level party, although the shopkeeper won't serve you for a _long_ time (pc version).

"You pull on the brown rope for attention. Such cute chimes, I should get it for my own front door. If you are smart, send in lots of fighters to deal with the magicians and only go in when the noise has died down. On the other hand if you are like me then sally forth with the bit between your teeth and start hitting when you see the whites of their eyes, of course I took a lot of damage but then with 999 hit points I can afford it. If you are playing with unedited characters, can you afford it?"

Really, come on - the person writing the review evidently missed the fact that the wizards don't harm you unless you steal from them or attack them. A rather cool thing unnoticed by the person tramping through the game oblivious to all these interesting facts.

After the ironically named 'evil' magicians area, they failed to mention the secret switch required to deactivate the final tech eye (something that took me a while myself to find :) , I'm guessing because again they tramped straight through the fireballs without a care.

"You can close them with the MON ZO spell."

Yes, you can - you can also use a staff thing (I forget its name), but any zo spell will do, although I never found a point to closing these as they always came back.

"If you create a couple of fighters (MON ZO EW KU) every time you enter a new location, they can get on beating up the badies while you concentrate on the loot. "

Sure, because by this stage in the game you really _are_ capable of casting Mon level minions...

Sorry guys for being rather unpleasant in my review of the walkthrough, but I felt it had to be said, I'm sure every regular visitor to this site could have made an excellent one :)
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Re: Reading walkthrough and...

Post by ChristopheF »

I am not the author of the walkthrough, so I won't modify it. Moreover, I don't have any time for this.
You are free to write another better walkthrough if you want, and I'll be happy to publish it.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

I would like to submit some information for a walkthrough, but I don't want to write one myself. Is anyone attempting to make a new one? If so I would like to help out. If nobody is, is there a way to add to or edit the walkthrough on this page. I agree 100% with Simon, the walkthrough does suck.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Well, I can add a new section at the end of the walkthrough with your remarks. But I don't really want to update the existing walkthrough in respect for its author.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

All right. I'm working on it now. Do you happen to know who the real author is? I would like to know.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Never mind, I found the author's name. What format would work best for the walkthrough update. .TXT file or something else?
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Yes, a txt file is fine, without manual carriage returns. Please use the "word wrap" feature of notepad or equivalent while editing.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I'd write a walkthrough myself, but I can't load DM2 in windows to alt-tab into msword or whatever :(
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Well, I just sent the walkthrough update to Christophe so maybe that will be good enough. If you are able to run DM2 some day and decide to do a walkthrough, I would still like to help, if that's okay.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”