DM2 works a bit on WinXP!

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Joepie

DM2 works a bit on WinXP!

Post by Joepie »

Hi guys,

I finally had some time to try to get DM2 working again on my machine.
Like the most of you, I don't have an old DOS machine anymore.

So I downloaded the French version of DM2 from this site (lost the original CD - have it somewhere, but I can't seem to find it). I remembered that it was possible to get it to work in English. I bought the original here in the Netherlands, and very often the software here is bi-langual. As my french is very lousy, I had to find a way to make it work in English - this is all years ago. Anyway, it still works in English also.

So I installed DOS on a virtual machine and I got it working! A couple of problems though. The sound doesn't work 100%, no midi and the 'digital' sound is a bit on the slow side. No extreme problems here.

Sure wish there was a good DOS emulator out there somewhere for XP.
At least, this is better than nothing. I will let you know if it gets any better.

Joepie
nohohon

Re: DM2 works a bit on WinXP!

Post by nohohon »

maybe the virtual machine and DOS emurator are mentioned about VMware.
because many people tried to run DM2 on DOS box in Windows, and no one seems to report DM2 runs on Windows.
DM2 doesn't run on WinXP as well. DM2 may run on real DOS box.
real DOS box runs on VMware. VMware can be ran on WinXP.
This is an answer why DM2 run on WinXP.

capacity of sound device on VMware is explained in VMware product documentation page: www.vmware.com/support/ws3/doc/ws32_vidsound4.html
Sound Blaster compatible device is available in VM. MIDI device on VM isn't supported.
Joepie
Neophyte

Re: DM2 works a bit on WinXP! Better on DOS probably

Post by Joepie »

Yes, I use vmware, and it works well.

After trying it out a few minutes, however, I can say the following:
The games runs well, but the sound emulation is a bit too slow.

I will try to run it on DOS again... I made a bootable DOS CD, which I can start before Windows XP. If only I could get my SB Live to work under DOS.

Anyone know how to get that working (sbeinit.com doesn't load because of some configuration file missing).

Greetz,

Joepie
Joepie
Neophyte

Re: DM2 works very well on WinXP - with vmware

Post by Joepie »

Yes, I use vmware as I have had very good experiences with it.
After tuning the sound parameters, the digital sound samples run very well now.

As you said, MIDI doesn't work, but I suppose that is the music. I don't remember the music, but I don't miss it.

There is a very minor problem with the graphics; sometimes I get a small trail of white pixels, after the mouse movements. As the screen refreshes, the pixels are gone again. It doesn't distract from gameplay at all.

I'm a happy camper now.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”