A theroy that was stuck in my head for some time.....

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Jardice
Artisan

A theroy that was stuck in my head for some time.....

Post by Jardice »

Well I have thinking about this really odd theory that was in my head for sometime and I just wanted to know a few things about it.

The theory that I was thinking about lies along the relationships between siblings of opposite genders(including non-identical twins)and the effect on others. I was thinking about for example the relationship between a guy and his younger sister. The theory stats that a guy with a sister for a sibling may more likely be more respectful and more comfortable towards women than a guy without a sibling sister. This also applies to the ladies as well(them having a brother for a sibling).

I just want to know if this has been done/full of garbage/etc.I myself think this is true but I may be wrong in many ways.

What does everyone here think?
Meaningless quote:
Words cannot have meaning unless they're given a meaning, words cannot benifit or harm unless they are allowed to.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi Jardice. I think your question is interesting, but I don't think your assumption is universally true. There are lots of other factors to take into consideration.

I am the youngest of seven children: I have two brothers and four sisters. My sisters are 2, 5, 9 and 14 years older than me. Clearly, I don't have any experience with younger siblings, but my eldest two nieces are both 18 (in fact, I am closer in age to them than my eldest sister!).

I think that what makes the difference is the experiences you have with those siblings. If the expereinces are negative, then you aren't necessarily going to see that person in a good way. It's then possible that this affects your relationships with other people because when we are younger, we tend to judge future relationships by comparing with what we already know. But I don't think this means that bad relationship with sisters = difficulty with women in the future. I think it comes down to the person in question.

For example, if I meet a woman who is rude, annoying, arrogant, or whatever, I won't give her a different response to a man who shares the same qualitites. I try to see that person as they present themselves. Just because I had sisters doesn't really come into the equation.

However, I think there is some truth in your theory. I generally find it easier to make friends with women than men. (I was closer to my sisters than my brothers so maybe there is a parallel here?). This may also be to do with the fact that my sisters looked after me when I was younger and both my mum and dad were incapable of doing so.

It's an interesting subject, so I welcome a more in depth discussion!
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

It was somewhat expected that this would not be true universally(as with alot of simialar theories). I had some difficulty trying to explain this theory in the shortest way possible....I would have made a longer post but I didn't know how to word this at the time..

I should have added the elder siblings in this theory a bit more...I mosty have based this off of my and some others experiences and from what I see happen in the world.

It does seem more likely that the type of experience someone have with a sibling can effect one's out look on a person who has the same gender as the sibling, which you stated in your post. I should have also added the personalities of a non-sibling as well.

However though there could be a chance that having an older sibling who was rude/annoying/whatever though out a person's life may affect that outlook as well.

Hmm looks like I have a long way to go on proving/disproving this theory.....I"ll need to have more imput though on this..asuming I can find another forum that has people like this one.. :?
Meaningless quote:
Words cannot have meaning unless they're given a meaning, words cannot benifit or harm unless they are allowed to.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

I would also say that the gender is not the main point; you may learn stuff from your brothers or sisters if you have them and compare other people by that standards but basically you (well, I at least) judge people by how they present themselves and do not (at least consciously) think about how my relationship with my younger brother was. Oddly enough, Gambit, I also find it easier to make friends with women, why that is the reason I have not quite figured out, maybe it's because they are more "alien" in some ways - I have no sister myself, maybe that's part of it.

Regards, PitD
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I think that having siblings influence our future relationships with person of the same genders and from the other. And not having siblings also has its influence! I'm very informative, ain't I?

An example of one way about influence of NOT having siblings: you may fantasize much more. This can lead maybe to falling in love and believing in romanticism, or on the contrary feeling that people are some impredictible and dangerous aliens!
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

What I learned from or through my brother was that younger siblings need not always have an easier time (speaking of parents) and that attitude was something you can learn and develop. Especially the latter was a valuable lesson.

Regards, PitD
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I'm an only child. I didn't really have a father around as my father left at avery early part of my life. I still knew he existed and once in a blue moon I would be sent to visit him however up untill I think.. about 7 years it was always my mother. I had no other examples of how to act and be that were as consistant as her. So, I think from that I got a very female point of view on a lot of things. In later life I feel that has influenced the friends I chose many of which were female, and the way I interacted with women I dated.

This was both helpfull and detrimental in their respective ways. Because I had a lot of female friends I was able to understand them better that other men. However, because of my level of respect and reserved nature towars women I got pegged as "too nice". This meant that I had to watch women I cared for and wanted to date go off and date some ass who would treat them poorly and eventually dump them for someone else. It was very frustrating that because I wasn't cocky and what not I wasn't as interesting to date as the "bad boy". Or I would get.. "we have such a good friendship.. I don't want to ruin that".

Now I find that more women desire a nice man. However, it has more to do with the age group and that these women have had their fill of @$$#0!3$ and now want someone stable.

So I don't think that a sister alone is a good motivator. My uncle who was the youngest and has 4 older sisters.. well he did not get that softer male side near as I can tell. Then there is my other uncle (other side of the family) who was inbetween 1 sister and 2 brothers who is rather sensitive in that manner. His mother was always a fee spirit and wandered about never stable and after he left home she floated away as she is accustomed to doing. So he had not strong female influence really.. Perhaps through that he saught one out in the women around him.. a desire to understand women.

I think mostly it is that.. the desire for understanding of women that needs to be strong in order to develop that more sensitive nature. The "bad boy" only want's to understand how to get between her legs. The sensitive man wants to know how she thinks.. what she likes.. or dislikes.

moo