[Custom dungeon] Conflux II [CSBWin] [Benjamin Prieu (a.k.a Zyx)]

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Aha! Gambit entered the competition and beated Charlatan75 on 3 out of 4 completed quest!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Really? I've been wandering all over the place and wasn't trying to do it in minimal moves -- I'm simply trying to survive your fiendish puzzles!

It's an excellent dungeon and I'm enjoying it very much -- it has the same 'just one more go' feeling that the original DM and CSB dungeons had -- I've been playing for a few dyas until 3 in the morning! :)

Lots of stairs!
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

I'm mapping the dungeons in my mind. Drawing takes away the suspense for me so I simply try to remember locations and certain way points and it mostly works. The drawback is that I cannot (or hardly) find out about monster generators that way, especially if no visible clues exist. This tends to get annoying sometimes in dungeons like "Imprisoned again..."

Regards, PitD
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

i'm bad at spacial mapping in my head...once its on paper i can get that x point is away from y point
for example i can o the cellars easily now, but because of the map, not because i am used to it...i seem to have a very linear (go here here here) mind, not a 'i am here, destination is here' mind
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Interesting that drawing maps takes away suspense for you, Pitd. I find the opposite. I try and do it as if my party are actually drawing the maps themselves, so in my mind I'm playing a scenario that's something like this:
Iaido is scribbling on a page, as the party rounds a corner and are confronted by a band of antmen. "Drop your map, thief, and join the fray!" screams Leif, leaping forth with his mace swinging wide. Iaido panics, draws his throwing stars and casts them towards the oncoming horde. The battle is brief but bloody. The antmen are slain and only Gando has sustained injuries: a broken arm where he was beaten by a club. "You fools, you were supposed to protect me!" he screams at Leif and Hissssa. "Don't fret, magic man. 'Twas not our fault -- our order was confused and to vanquish the foes we had to move erratically. I am sorry you were exposed". Iaido is bereft. "The map! I don't know how far we've come. In that battle we've moved far from my last reference. I am afraid we are lost, friends.".....
Well, OK, so it's not like that in miy mind all the time! ;) However, mapping can be great fun, especially as it reveals routes to areas that you might choose to ignore and come back to later. I think it's exactly how an adventuring party would work....

BTW, I am looking forward to writing my Quest of Legend. I think it'll be a big one....
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If that snip is anything to go by, it should be fun : )

I've written something in a similar vain as an example for the quest of legend, will post it in the next few days between quality *shudder* standards *shudder* work *shudder*
Charlatan75
Apprentice

Post by Charlatan75 »

Hello! :)

Great! No more alone in the competition! ^^
I sent a new savegame for the Dwarven Treasure... :lol:

- Charlatan75 -
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Four-dash me, that was a determined effort...it wins you back the point, possibly for quite a while to come!
623 moves....whew!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I am a very short tempered player, ergo maps are not something I make a habit of. However, I like the way this competition is shaping up and may have to throw an oar in. That is if Antman doesn't beat me to it... That two player game Ant sounds cool :)

BTW I dad map Bane of the Cosmic Forge (still maybe the greatest ever rpg) dark forest area using the essential A3 green 8 mm graph paper. That was a few years ago though. Did anybody ever find the Excalibur for this game?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Impressive record, Charlatan75!
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

**Maybe a spoiler**

Well, just a quick question, is 'the Trial' the 'trial of burning hands'?
If so, do you just have to get across it to complete it?

Ooooo more competition aswell, things are heating up. Will i be able to beat these hairy redheads with giant mustaches? We shall see : )
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No, The Trial is harder than that, and has to do with the council : )
And its two redheads and a stone carving...though he still has a stone moustache apparently!
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

OK, thanks. I am about to get a record for the mothers of the egg chamber, if i am in the right place.

BTW, there is a very easy way to gain ninja levels in this, very easy. My guy is now an ArchMaster ninja, i am not going to reveal it though as it might give me an advantage.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Charlatan75 made three exceptional records and recovered his laurels. In the meantime Antman managed a very good 405 moves for the flask!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm mapping everything as I'm playing, so I doubt I'll be making an minimal moves records anytoime soon. But once I have complete maps and have done all the quests, I'll try the minimal moves competetions.

BTW, I am very impressed with the possible replay value of this dungeon! You could spend months playing all the champion combinations! Though it does mean playing with more powerful champs are only possible if you start with one or two characters...
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Hello Antman, I know which bug you're talking about. It will be fixed in the next version.
I wouldn't like you to turn it to your advantage for the competition, this would be too unbalancing and unfair to the other players. I'm sorry for this bug, please don't use it for the competition!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Bug? I thought that was deliberate -- a reward for being a good thief...! :)

There are quite a few places where this happens...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It is...I assume there is one place where it isn't regulated then...

So there you go, judges warning: Any game found with suspiciously high ninja levels without a) having played it for a bit, or b) without a HUGE amount of screamer pods, rocks, and other monster parts in evidence, will be tutted at : )
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

The ninja reward happens a lot of time, the bug is when it happens infinitely at the same place.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

New records... Antman and Gambit are now ex-aequo. Charlatan75 still way ahead.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Gambit almost completed his first major quest, and would have stolen 10 points from Charlatan doing it too for minimal moves, but he made one tiny mistake...

http://www.dmjump.net/mistake.gif

Ok, I'm lying, congratulations Gambit! It's all terribly exciting : )
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Is the broken URL the joke? Or should there have been something even funnier there? ;-)

I'm really enjoying these Conflux 2 quests -- it makes the whole thing much more exciting.

I think I have just found the way to the Crown of Kings. Well something good had better be beyond this well protected corridor....
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

By the way, what on earth are snapdragons for? They have no nutritional value whatsoever!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

oops, no, fix it later

and snapdragons - pretty! who would ever think of eating one : )
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Woot! "To the Tower of Mampang!" Crown of Kings, here I come!

I did try giving a bunch of snapdragons to the antmen in the sewers but they just stamped them into the dusty tiles and beat me over the head with their clubs. That's the last time I try and make friends with a blue skinned insect hybrid; from now on it's toasty pants first, possession rummaging later. Harummph!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I find they disappear in blissful balls of smoky ecstacy if you give them clubs...they like clubs...

Also, the link works now : )

toasty pants first, possession rummaging later
words to live by!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Whoa! I might have had second thoughts jumping down that pit if the council were all that big! 'Pansy' wouldn't be the word on my lips, probably 'Sir' would be more appropriate...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

: )

Respect the dungeon!

Though in this case you are right, they are pansies...if you have the levels...
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Wow, Gambit broke two main quests records! But Charlatan75 did a massive counter-attack and recovered several of the minor records!
So Charlatan75 is still leading with 26 record points and Gambit just behind with 22 points. Antman dropped to 0 point (but I guess he's up to something in secret).
As for the quests, Charlatan75 is still with 132 points (he didn't find yet a fiery cerberus), Gambit made a giant jump reaching 75 points, and Antman stands on the 6 points.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Gaaahhhhhhhhh... Zyx, you rotter! I survived the Sudden Death... for nothing! wasted all my good weapons! :-( :-( :-(