Latest Mozilla Firefox

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
copperman
Um Master

Latest Mozilla Firefox

Post by copperman »

Well, after leaving the Netscape/Mozilla camp about a year ago when NS7.1 install trashed itself without recovery. I have been using Slimbrowser, an IE "wrapper". It functions well has some good features but lacks real flexibility. Now I have returned to looked at Mozilla FireFox 0.8 the latest standalone browser from the Mozilla fold. Simply put, if it never gets any better than this I'll be happy. With the right extensions and 30 mins tweaking FF is without a doubt the best web browser I have ever seen. 100% standards and quick as a bunny too.

Look Here for info and download.
Don't be scene or herd!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Woo Hoo! I haven't kept up to date with this, so thanks for the info. I've been using FireBird 0.7 for some time and love it to bits! It's a shame that I still have to use IE for my internet banking.... gonna get onto my bank about that..

Will download the new FireFox (great new name!) later and check it out.
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

Anyone wishing to migrate to Firefox and in need of advice on which extensions to grab ? IM/PM/email Ka5pian for advice and discussion. This version of the Mozilla browser is a killer app. It makes IE et al look positively 20th century ;)
Don't be scene or herd!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Woot -- Firefox 0.9 is out. I've just upgraded, and with a few select extensions, it's the best browser in the world. I love it!!!

http://texturizer.net/firefox/download.html
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

Oh yes, it serpently is. I've just been so busy I forgot to post about it. It will be even better when Tab Browsers Extension is updated to 0.9 API.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

So far I have only installed Mouse Gestures, Google Bar, Ook, Web Developer (which is utterly fantastic) and Plain Text Links which is very handy indeed. I'm looking at the other extensions to see what is most useful.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

as far as i know, firefox stops popups and includes a google search, so what do you need google bar for ?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The built-in google search is just a text search, but the google bar gives you direct access to all the google services from one easy place. it's fantastic, and basically a clone of the official one that Google made for IE.
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

Hmm, I guess you haven't install the top 30 add on engines for the built in searchbar yet then. It's definately worth it. You even get a search for Astalavista ;)
Dadoo
Novice

Post by Dadoo »

yes firefox is a really good version in every apects but the speed. You can take a look at http://avalon-soft.com (dhtml bench) to see by yourself. The moz community is aware to that and hardly working on a fix. I'm writting dungeon master legacy and 'cause there no high speed needs I don't have to care !!!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

For those of you not aware, Firefox v1.0 PR is now available:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

i've been using it with no ill effects : )
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

works fine, just waiting for extensions to catch up
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

firefox v1.0 official release http://mozilla.org

happy browsing.
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

yep same comment as last time
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

got the new tabbrowser extensions 1 week delayed because the link at extensions in ff leads to a wrong extensions-collection without them. :evil:
stupid me thought this page was updated instead of comparing the url with the one in my favs. :roll:
at least i got them now :D
can't browse without anymore (not kidding).
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

what benefits do the tab browser extensions have? I find all the built in stuff is adequate.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

it has settings to make the tab-management more intuitive. you can change where the focus is set to when you open or close new tabs and enable the single window mode (only one browser all the time). you can also make some stuff like tab groups, which i don't use. all in all, you can change about everything (at least everything i could imagine) concerning tabs. it also adds drag and drop for tabs.
since i post in many forums and have the browser always opened, i use the tabs very much and i got used to their behavior from crazy browser (ie-frontend) and needed a tool to make them work the same for firefox. if you are used to ff, you might not need it, but it is surely worth a try.
http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#tbe
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

TBE is the bomb, its the best tab extension there is, you can emulate ant other tabbrowser style with it
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

hi, i made a little animated throbber with super-deformed portraits from fmtowns version. i found only alex azizi boris daroou hawk sonja stamm syra wutse, is there anyone to extract the other ones so that i can complete my collection ? :)

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Heh, those are great -- are they in the graphics.dat? I never saw those!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, looks like fan art -- I rooted around on the FM-Towns CD and couldn't find anything extra. It's a shame the others are missing. So are you using your throbber in Firefox then? ;)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i tried it on firefox win32 but the image is stretched to fit in the skin (looks ugly). so i'm using it at work on mozilla under irix :)
http://redribbon.planet-d.net/dm/snap.jpg
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

too bad there arent any japanese on the board....however i let google's automatic translator go over it:
Is, it is the じ ょ it is it increases, it is ぁ

As for name refers the NEC PC-9801 5 inch 2HD edition the expectation
which When the PC-88 and the FM-TOWNS and the X-68k and the MegaDrive and the SFC and the like it differs delicately, it is
The picture [ has become X ], mono it is not made yet
seems the blue part is saying that those graphics that get displayed by an X arent made yet

@Gambit
Are there any new graphics in the FM-Towns version at all? i would like to aquire it, but it seems like a big undertaking......and if there is only the new music, that christophe's site is mentioning...
I'm gonna sleep in the rat room.
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I decoded the graphics.dat file from the FM-Towns version, and no, there is no new graphics.
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

ah, thanks for the answer. quite a shame, though. ..i remember that the classic lucasarts adventures all had significantly better graphics on the FM-Towns Computer ( 256 colours )...along with CD music. ( In case someone is interested: those where Indy III, Loom, Zak McKracken )
I'm gonna sleep in the rat room.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

guess who just made the switch... seems to be slower to load pages though.. like it needs a running start :P

mainly the change was due to a massive spyware explosion on my computer and I was taken down with it.. had to reinstall windows due to a suddenly corrupt registry.. :P (evil bastards)

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Slower to load pages.....!!!??? It's waaaaaaaay faster. I could no never go back to IE now, except for development/testing purposes.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yeah, a work computer here was corrupted to buggery with spyware, even though it had lots of nice protection...stupid ie

I'm still tryign to build up courage to switch away from outlook express to firebird