Latest Mozilla Firefox

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

it's loading the images over each time I open firefox.. yet with IE they stayed cached. in fact several times it's gone and reloaded them.. so perhaps a setting that is defaulted I don't know about?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I don't have any cache problems with Firefox -- it was a bit weird in the earlier releases but the v1.0 seems perfect to me. Sure you've got the latest version?

EDIT: Just did a quick test by closing down Firefox and reopening it on both the BBC website and these forums: instant loading, no redrawing.
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

beowuuf wrote:I'm still tryign to build up courage to switch away from outlook express to firebird
Yuck ! I just gave Firebird a try last week and was really disappointed... It seems there are still a lot of bugs, particularly the "next" and "previous" buttons to switch from one message to another were not working at all ! Some very strange behaviour too : new mail doesn't "push back" old mail, when it has arrived you have to scroll down (or up if your latest emails are at the top) to see them !

And I am a Firefox fan, I just can't seem to let go of Outlook Express... Having it set up with a super light and super efficient spam filter (k9 if you're asking), it's got all I need.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You mean Thunderbird. I tried it briefly, but it couldn't process my Outlook personal folders properly, and as I keep that as an archive it means it's worse than useless for me.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yes latest... just downloaded it from their site. and it's got other things that are slow. some forums I go to when it goes to the create post thing it take a while to load and also I notice that it's drawn the pane the wrong dimentions..

Mainly when it redraws the images it takes a moment.. as if scanning each.. and before it does any function it thinks about it a while first.. I suppose it's the price of security..

moo
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Yes sorry I meant Thunderbird.

Cowsmanaut, I also have the same feeling as you regarding lack of speed in Firefox, although I think it only shows on big pages with flash or gif animations.
cowsmanaut wrote:I notice that it's drawn the pane the wrong dimentions..
I'd rather say IE draws things the wrong way and Firefox the right way, but because IE is so widespread, that people design web pages the wrong way to accomodate IE users !!! Can you believe this ? It's going to be another few years before web standards are truly respected and pages look alike in IE and Firefox.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, IE is bollocks when it comes to web standards. Firefox is probably one of the most accurate browsers in this regard. For years I struggled with 'floating' elements in web design, trying to get my perfect IE design working in all other browsers -- only to discover that everything else was rendering it correctly according to the specs, and IE had it wrong....
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

the expression "IE-optimized" wins a very new meaning after you discover this...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

you mean "broken"? : )
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

It seems firefox starts downloads right immediately (into cache or sth.) before you actually have chosen the destination, whereas ie waits until you open a folder and press ok (or sth. like that.(
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Yes indeed ! It's fun to see things have finished downloading just after you're done with renaming them and chosing an appropriate folder. :P