Few questions about RTC experience/difficulty system

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
sk
Novice

Few questions about RTC experience/difficulty system

Post by sk »

Hello,
I have played RTC version of DM for a bit now, and am training my characters. RTC adjusts to the power of characters, the first question is does it do this only at the beginning of the game or during the game also? Meaning, if I train my chars a lot, will the next levels be more difficult? And if I use RTC DM (version with the spellbook) to train a CSB-group for me, will RTC version of CSB be more difficult because of the pumped up chars?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find answers to these questions.
sk@IRCnet/Quakenet #nethack #DungeonMaster etc
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Scaling only happens at the start of game.

And yes, CSB will be slightly harder, depending on the power of the party you import into the game.
sk
Novice

Post by sk »

Thanks for the answer.

By the way, what are the best spots for training characters in Dungeon Master? So far i have been running the purple worm round w/ occasionally killing scremers from the screamer room. I guess the rat generator will be as good spot since they also leave food behind them when killed.

Does monster level affect experience you get? Or is it enough if you just cast spells/throw objects/fight in general?

What are the best tactics training different skills? I have mainly made potions to train priest skill, fought with bare hands to train ninja levels (also randomly throwing stuff), used attack spells to increase wizard levels and fought with weapons to increase fighter levels.

Any suggestions how to best combine training different skills ie how to level in all skills as fast as possible?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

IBets places are the end of level four screamer room, and the end of level 9 rat room (best)
In DM level depth affected experience gained, as well as taking any action during combat. And its what you do not what you kill that affects experience, unlike D&D, etc RTC uses a little bit more of an ad-hoc system for the experience modifier, but we have no idea what, so you can assume level depth for now : )

War crying is good for priests, damage ios good for fighter levels but otherwise you have the hang of what gains what...coin tossing is also goot for ninja levels

Personally I find ninja levels come thick and fast by just punchign your way out of situations, especially with things liek rock monsters that negate damage so punching and swords inflict similar damage alot of the time. Also, always fight or at worst throw objects in preference to spell-slinging. Use magic for non-combat spells instead like potions and light
Also, pushing your limits for spellcasting...I'm sure George had it that lower level spells gave higher level characters less experence...i don't think was ever changed.
sk
Novice

Post by sk »

beowuuf wrote:coin tossing is also goot for ninja levels
Coin tossing? Throwing coins around? :)
beowuuf wrote:Personally I find ninja levels come thick and fast by just punchign your way out of situations, especially with things liek rock monsters that negate damage so punching and swords inflict similar damage alot of the time. Also, always fight or at worst throw objects in preference to spell-slinging. Use magic for non-combat spells instead like potions and light
Also, pushing your limits for spellcasting...I'm sure George had it that lower level spells gave higher level characters less experence...i don't think was ever changed.
Yes kicking rock piles (/monsters) is my idea of getting ninja levels also. I tend to try a bit more difficult spells than the characters can currently do combining it to spelss they can, even though they mostly cannot cast the spell it seems quite efficient. I do use spells (mostly fireballs) when fighting some tougher monster like knights. They have so much hp.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Coin tossing...try putting a coin in your action hand. : )
Spells won't work against knights and golems, and things like scorpions have fire resistance so fireball do less damage than usual. I don't train otherwise so I tend to fight hand to hand for the experience rather than blow them away with a fireball
sk
Novice

Post by sk »

beowuuf wrote:Coin tossing...try putting a coin in your action hand. : )
Heh, tried this out. I have done this earlier but just didn't ring a bell before doing it again. So it raises some skills. Must be a really frightening scene to a monster to see 4 champions tossing coins in some conrner of the dungeon. Or not. :)
beowuuf wrote: Spells won't work against knights and golems, and things like scorpions have fire resistance so fireball do less damage than usual. I don't train otherwise so I tend to fight hand to hand for the experience rather than blow them away with a fireball
Well if they don't work so well, throwing fireballs will just gain wizard levels without interfering with fight training ;) There are many situations where mere sword fighting won't do, for example when a pack of monsters come after your party. Some of them just has to be sent to the other side asap to gain some room to fight the rest. This is pretty mandatory in RTC especially since the monsters don't stay in groups but split out to surround you. And some monsters (that rusting thingie for example) are better of right away.
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

FYI coin flipping is a priest thing, check the encyclopedia.
Don't be scene or herd!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I found weight of thrown items influencing ninja xp award, so if I want to train a character as a ninja I throw a pile of rocks against a door. I don't know whether filled chests would be better, since I do not know whether the engine takes the items the chest is filled with into account (but I would like to know that). I do not know, to what extend damage done with missiles does influence ninja xp, but it does not seem a sufficient amount.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sicne we are talking about RTC, i believe george including weight in the whole throwing/experience mix
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

It certainly does. The Mormegil sent me his training dungeon a while ago including a cloned morningstar and sword, both considerably heavier than their normal kind. Gained levels with light speed in that training dungeon...

Regards, PitD
TheMormegil
Adept

Post by TheMormegil »

Yes, weight is king in RTC for ninja and fighter.
Although without modified items there is no weapon that
is particularly heavy for fighter training. The amount of damage
you do seems to be a factor (I think, could be wrong) so I rate
Hardcleave and the Inquisitor (in DM original) above the heavier stone club.
But you can help yourself along with these weapons by doing
strength potions until your trainees have 255 strength. You are
training priest nicely to achieve this too.

For ninja training in DM collect all the cursed breastplates from the knights
and the plate of darc and put them in a chest.
Then find a closed door and keep throwing the chest at the door. There is a
point you can put the mouse cursor (with a chest) so that it can be picked
up and thrown without moving the mouse.
You can also use an external program to create a macro that repeadtley
presses mouse1 for you, so you can leave it training and make coffee.
Check stanima occassionaly though otherwise you might kill your character with the hard work!!

I have to disagree with the person who said casting unsuccessfull spells
was good training. In my experience succesfull spells are better training.
I could of course be wrong!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

if it was me, i agree mis-cast spells gives you less experience than successful spells
but from what i remember of early RTC mechaincs,'safe' spellcasting wasn't reqwraded as much as the cuttign edge...whether it is all equal i nthe end in terms of success/failure at high levels as opposed to low levels i couldn't say
sk
Novice

Post by sk »

TheMormegil wrote:The amount of damage you do seems to be a factor (I think, could be wrong) so I rate Hardcleave and the Inquisitor (in DM original) above the heavier stone club.
I don't have any prove of this but have noticed the same about the damage. Mentioned weapons are the best available in DM in my opinion, just love them :)
TheMormegil wrote:I have to disagree with the person who said casting unsuccessfull spells was good training. In my experience succesfull spells are better training.I could of course be wrong!
Don't know about this, i tend to train spells that have succes rate of (about) 50%. Have worked for me. Cannot say if casting only succesful spells is faster, maybe i should try this also.
Da_Ruby
Novice

Post by Da_Ruby »

in rtc ive deffo found the higher level less succesful spells are better for training as long as its not too far above your current knowledge level (then u may aswell be casting a meaningless spell)