New DirectX9 DM clone - entombed

Lesser known clone projects or isolated news items about rare or unusual clones.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

hi !
finished one portrait (my avatar) here -> http://redribbon.planet-d.net/dm/linflas-64x100.gif
there's also a full sized psd version, with no background.

i'm working on other portraits (they are already penciled and scanned) but you will have to be very patient because i'm very very slow in colouring, resizing and pixeling... :oops:
DSE
Lo Master

linflas

Post by DSE »

:shock: linflas you are the man :shock:

Thank you mate, this is awesome. :D

cheers.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

wicked.. if you can keep up that quality perhaps it's best only you do the characters portraits since that would create a more cohesive style. with those. I can provide instead something else. As you said loading screens DSE. If you give some specifications I'll see what can be done. I'm trying to get back to my painting and I've been without any idea of what to do.

As I mentioned I can not find the orriginals to several of the images you mentioned which really bugs me since I swore I backed them up and I always paint larger so most of them were 1240x1024 or 1024x768. (grumble) Lots of work lost.

Anyway, if you can keep the ideas interesting I'll be able to do some painting and you get something out of it at the same time.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

dunno if i'll keep up that quality, it took me all my sunday for this one.. :?
and i don't know if i'll be able to pencil 30 or 40 portraits like this. do not expect the whole hall of champions ! :)
DSE
Lo Master

loading screens and portraits

Post by DSE »

linflas - is there any chance we can achieve 2 or 3 portraits for now :? ?

cowsmanaut - is it ok if I use your paintings faces for portraits as well, I will do my best not to fook them up ?

that should give us a total of about 10 ish :D .

cowsmanaut -
I could really do with a character sheet designing ! :D So the usual requirements of a body with boxes coming off for helmet,armour,boots, etc. If you would like to pursue let me know and I will give you more info (basically after something like dungeon siege's).

A painting of a open dungeon entrance (something along the lines of lord of the rings entrance to the mines of moria would be cool :wink: ).

Should I just use the images from your site then, or have you found some of your work ? I am easy either way :)

thanks for your help guys.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

> linflas - is there any chance we can achieve 2 or 3 portraits for now ?

yes, i'm finishing "Wuuf" tonight and there should be some new one in a few days.
DSE
Lo Master

Sorry for the delay

Post by DSE »

Thanks mate, been working really hard on the real time water. Its a right bugger to get right.

Thanks for the response, keep up the good work !! :D
DSE
Lo Master

updated site

Post by DSE »

water effect finished, new pics on website www.entombed.co.uk

:D
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

furry warriors :wink:

Wuuf
Daroou

Nabi and Leif coming soon...
DSE
Lo Master

awesome

Post by DSE »

cheers mate, wuuf rocks :D
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I imagine with you being fairly new to these boards DSE that you've not seen my ancient crap. However you are welcome to rummage through it and see if there is anything salvagable from it. Many are not completed and the rest are just plain old and from a time when I still couldn't really draw that well.

moo

DM hero Page and fan fiction
http://chaos.zpc.cz/inn.html
DSE
Lo Master

Game back on (maybe) ...

Post by DSE »

This project has been off for a number of months now :cry: . I am interested in continuing the project :lol: . Firstly, thanks for all the emails I have received ( :oops: I didnt receive them until about 2 weeks ago due to an over active email blocker so I apologise if I havent replied to anyone else - please resend if possible with your ideas and comments).

I really do need help to finish this project on the 3D side. Is there (fingers crossed) any 3D artists who read this site or does anyone know a 3D artist who is willing to aid me :D ?
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

DSE --- looks great. I'd suggest you concentrate on making the water look more realistic so it doesn't blend with the walls. (I'm sure it looks great animated, but those stills are very bland.) Take a look at Far Cry if you need hints. Darkening the water so it looks murky and adding a reflection could really help out.

I recently ran across an article on GameDev that discusses rendering realistic water. You may want to check it out.

http://www.gamedev.net/columns/hardcore/rnerwater1/

Also, if you don't want the walls to look so flat, you should consider using parallax mapping on high-end hardware. The URL below links to an article that prescribes a means of doing this on PS2.0 compliant hardware. I've heard there are ways to do it on PS1.1 hardware (GF3/4), but I don't know how.

http://www.infiscape.com/doc/parallax_mapping.pdf

Keep up the good work!
kaosthafeared
Apprentice

Post by kaosthafeared »

This looks very promising!!! would love to assist playtesting ect ect
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

Thinking about this project, DSE hasn't posted in awhile.

I hope this clone hasn't died.
MatrixCat
Neophyte

Post by MatrixCat »

Ditto...Especially since the dungeons in the screenshots have a suitably dark feel to them.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Hello all. Well I have been quiet for some time, I have just been through setting up my own business so the game has taken a back seat. Anyway, I am thinking of releasing it in its current form for comments - you are going to need a bit of a beast to run it though. Because it uses Directx9c pixel shaders (per pixel lighting in real time (not precalculated)) and vertex shaders ('almost' hdr lighting), the spec is high. A radeon 9800 pro is a good start. Anyway, if you post your spec (there is no point in making it up because it just wont run) and your email address I will post it to you (please give me about a week because I am very busy at the moment). I cant place it on my website because its free storage and has a file size limit.

I am releasing this just so you can have a look, it has no creatures in it, its just water, walls, 3 levels, doors, pits, levers, etc.

On yeah, you will need the .net framework installed (sp1).
thanks
dave.
DSE
Lo Master

Well its been a while ...

Post by DSE »

Howdy everyone. This project is now back on. Since my last post I have managed to get some creatures and more effects into the game. Please check out the website (www.entombed.co.uk) for some images of a rather nasty looking ettin. Well I hope you like it ... there are more to come.

Is anyone interested in play testing soon ?

cheers,
dave.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Yes.
DSE
Lo Master

Great !!

Post by DSE »

Whats your machine spec ? gfx card is the most important, it must be shader model 2.0 or above compliant.

I will hopefully be ready within a month to let people download from the website.

thanks for showing an interest, what do you think of the ettin ?

Also, I am currently looking at using displacement maps in the game to make the brick work look more realistic. You will be able to see this on shader model 3.0 comliant cards, the effect is awesome but expensive to render. I am still unsure if I will include this, but I will keep you posted.
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

I'd be up for a bit of playtestage :D I've got a vertex and pixel shader 2.0 GFX card so I should be ok!

This project seems to be shaping up pretty good, the ettin looks pretty mean (in a menacing way!) - I like it!
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Radeon 9800 Pro. You can do displacement mapping with PS2.0.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

ok for me too ! i've got a nv fx5700 card, should work no ?
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

I hope so, mine's only a 5200FX :)
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

I'm up for playtesting. I have 2 boxes which I can use for it.

Box 1:

Athlon 2400+
512 MB RAM
GeForce 3 Ti 200

Box 2:

Athlon 2400+
256 MB RAM
GeForce 5200FX
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

OK great, so I am not going to be lacking in testers !! thanks.

I have recently tested the game on a 9800 pro and it worked great. I think anything that is regarded as slower than that is really going to struggle. Basically its the per-pixel lighting that is going to push your gfx card (and the water effect, which is optional), I dont want to build peoples hopes up and then it runs like a dog on your system, the gfx card will make the difference between 70 fps and it running at 12 fps.

if you guys know can you tell me how many of your cards mentioned above are of equal (or similiar) power to a 9800 pro ?

I am considering writing a shader model 1.1 version, but it just looks poor in comparison to the 2.0.

I have recently incorporated a convex rigid body physics engine into the game for when you throw stuff down corridors. I am still working on perfecting this and its going to take a short while to get it running how I want, but I will keep you posted (shouldnt be too much longer).

thanks again,
Dave.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

My machine is old, with a Geforce 4600 Ultra something-or-other. I think that's PPS 1.1.

So I can't run your game on it? That's seems very odd when Half-Life 2 ran perfectly well, and still looked pretty good.

I'd love to play entombed! Please make it so...
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Please read in a happy manner, I am not pissed, just explaining why its going to be difficult.
-----------------------------------------------------
Yep, half life 2 is awesome and written by probably the second most technically advanced development team on the planet (after ID software), with a fair few quid behind them. I would love to optimise my game engine to work on any platform on any spec machine but I havent the resources, energy, SKILL, to do so.

Just so you know, hl2 doesnt do per pixel lighting, Entombed does and is why the machine specs are relatively high. If I were to use the fixed function pipeline or VS/PS 1.1 it would work great on your machine (probably around 100 fps). BUT it would look worse. I promise you I will do this if the demand is there.

Thanks,
Dave
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

HL2 does per-pixel lighting. It supports older shader models. You couldn't do displacement mapping with PS1.x, but you can easily do normal mapping, and it will look the same.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Aha!