Some help on DMII???

Dead posts cluttering up the front page of certain non-RTC forums are kept here. Threads have the forum subject attached, except custom dungeon threads (which are obvious)
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
static_pyro

Some help on DMII???

Post by static_pyro »

I know this question has prolly already been answered at least a dozen times... but I'm running XP, I have no clue what this DosBox, and I can't seem to get the setup to run. I have an original CD. I don't know if that matters or not, except that the code was made for DOS not, Windows. In the past, on previous versions of windows, I got DMII to run by rebooting in DOS, but the mouse wasn't working, took some work on that. Well in any case, the question is, How do you make DMII compatible with WinXP. Thx to anyone who can help.

kthxbye
-static_pyro
static_pyro

Post by static_pyro »

btw... if by DosBox, you mean the command prompt, then i understand that :wink:

kthxbye
-static_pyro
JCG
Mon Master

Post by JCG »

DM 2 has never been able to run directly under any version of Windows, however DOSBOX is not the standard "Command prompt" of Windows, but a complete emulator of a PC (including the hardware) running under DOS.
It's the only way to run many old DOS games under Windows 2000 / XP ( for which the DOS mode does not exist anymore ).
DOSBOX is freely available at http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/ and the last version (0.61) is able to run DM2.
You need a powerful machine, the setup and the configuration may present a few difficulties, and the install of DM2 must be done under the emulator. But once it's done, DM2 runs very well.
paxinum

dm2 on win 2k (or any other windows)

Post by paxinum »

boot from a boot disk like win me or win 98

then in dos mode, u can start dm2.
only works if dm2 is saved on a fat32 disk, otherwise dos can't find it
Zelmo

Post by Zelmo »

It also only works with a supported sound card with DOS drivers loaded. Anything older than a SoundBlaster Live works well with the boot disk from this site, SB Live sometimes works, Audigy and newer don't work.
I'm thrilled to say that the newest DosBox worked perfectly for me on the first try. Ironically, I found out about it the day after I acquired an older computer just to be able to run DMII!
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Nothing like the real thing. ;)