This is my 3000th post

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

What should I do now?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:41 pm

Try to improve my signal/noise ratio
No votes
Change my name
No votes
Zero my posts
No votes
Disable my custom message so everyone can see the rank for 3000 (if there is one)
38%
Nothing, who cares!
63%

Total votes: 8

beowuuf
Archmastiff

This is my 3000th post

Post by beowuuf »

Self indulent poll - woohoo! : )
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Just keep everything as it is; bah, I don't like change.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well, actually I'd be curious what rank gambit has in store for you ;-)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I think Beo already changed them, so he would know as well as anyone! How about "Arch Puppy" or "Master Mastiff" or somethin equally crap and doglike?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Master Mastiff.. sounds very promising. :)

Howabout Altus Canis? a little Latin for "high dog"... no.. not that kind of high..
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

are you sure?

Maybe I can't press submit....i just answered this a while back! : )
Lol, it's currently 3 -1 now for no change, and since one of those is me, then i think motion carried... : ) And there are no other ransk, sorry, i double checked just incase

I likealtus canis and also archmastiff though...i might play with those if i get bored : )
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i propose 'Super Toutou', but it's probably too frenchy for you, guys ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

i'll ask my french collegue on monday if i should be offended or not : )
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

lol :D
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Although in proper latin you'd place the noun first, so it'd be Canis Altus, although I'd rather propose Canis Maior (the great dog), 'cause that is the latin name of a constellation too.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

I don't see people voting for the signal to noise ratio as the vast majority of Beowuuf posts are good stuff (nobody cares about the typos).

The signal to noise ratio thing did make me wonder - is there a term for forum users who submit lots of worthless replies just to rattle up numbers?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, it's "dickhead". :) Luckily, we don't have any of those round here -- everyone is very level headed and has good discussions. Unlike many other forums I visit where you have entire threads of people just saying "LOL", "rofl" "me too" etc. Lara's Home, a Tomb Raider forum, is a lot like that -- I got tired of it after a few days because it was mostly regulars who had racked up 10,000 posts in less than a year, and who all simply said one word replies. Signal to noise was very low over there... it really annoys me for some reason....
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

LoL, me too!

erm just kidding.

Yeah, what is it about this forum that supports such a limited amount of trolls and 1 word wonders?

Oh wait.. it's because WE'RE ALL A BUNCH OF OLD FARTS! :)

Well not that old but certainly mature enough that we don't need to fall to those methods just to feel included in the "community". Whatever.. I say maturity is the only main factor that saves us.

moo
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

I'm only 16, but I believe in posting USEFULL and INSIGHTFUL commentary and MEANINGFUL discussion. I dont make one word posts because it's like a waste of space. You don't call people on a cell phone and say, "LOL!" and then call again and say, "YAH TAHTS KOOL." It's a waste of cell phone minutes. Forums and message boards should hold discussions, not internet-slang ridden statements. I like to give people a piece of my mind!
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

OLD FARTS? I'm only 17!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

sorry for my youngish LoL, the fact is : i'm 30 but i feel 12 in this forum ;) ... and i'm french.. ;)
Last edited by linflas on Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

shh, don't mind cows, he's an old fart *runs before my birthday can catch up with me*

yes, it's nice when people can actually engage in discussions without degenerating into a flame war after one round of posts!

It's good the age spread here too, amazing how poeple have stuck with the game since it came out, no matter how old they were then or now, and how new people find it all the time, etc . And unless someone actually says their age, you usually can't tell because everyone has an enthusiastic love of the game that makes them young seeming, and an ability to express it and opinions well.

And i don't make typos! They are deliberate mind-puzzle challenges to a higher truth...
*runs but trips over fingers*
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

ok wow.. I reserve my comments. I thought the youngest would be about 20. Oh and I use the term old fart loosely. What I was meaning was it was unlikley we hade any 10-16 year olds.. but it would seem we have a few just sitting in that range.

so how then did you guys find out about dungeon master?

was it DM2? or DMSNes?

how old were you?

moo

(oh and I'm 30.. not that old really)
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

I was maybe 8. My parents were sick of our outdated computer (monochrome, 10 Mb IBM PC, 8088 processor) so we purchased a nice new Macintosh Performa 6400. It came with a CD bundle, among it being Descent 1 from MacPlay. On that CD was a bunch of MacPlay demos. One was DM2. I played the limited demo to death and "beat" the demo a million times (if you've played it, it involves getting trapped in a 1-cell room and being shot to death by massive fireballs after reading a message that tells you to buy the upcoming DM2 game). I saw the game once at EB in the mall, but it was the PC version, and our old PC wouldn't be anywhere near capable of running it. Some time later, I found DM2 for Mac for $15 at an old software store in a small, degenerate Mac shelf. I bought it, splitting the cost (which was big to me then) with my brother. We played it a lot, and I still play it today. My current interest is pushing for a DM2 clone and/or hacking inventories in DM2 saves for the Mac. Now, I play it on my nice G4, which is outdated, but the game runs fine with its sound and color, and it isn't too fast or too slow.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

I got to know dungeon master at the age of around thirteen on the computer of my brother (an AMIGA 500)!8)
After two years of normal playing , my best friend carried his AMIGA 500(or that of his brother) at my place and we were playing each on our computers, quasi synchronous, which was fun; you could see where the other was in the level(--whoah! you are that far?! I got to hurry up!) and when/how fast someone did gain a level/stats/items ("Hey, my daroou just gained a fighter level", "now 230 health".. and:" I cast 3 mon ful irs already"..- "where did you get THAT from?").
Eventually it developped into training at the screamer "sparring" room, with an autofire joystick over night.

Good olde days...

We went to testing how much our champions could bear (fireballs, zo kath ra´s and of course pit downfalls(there is one near the screamer room..)..)

My friend must have had slipped into one of those cursed armors(getting that luck stat negative?), because one of his characters was especially resistant to fire;he would only get 30 to 50 damage per mon fireball without even a fireshield - definitely a bug. He was really hard to kill, because all other champions where already pushing the daisies when he had been at 2/3rds of 850 Hps, hardly a scratch!.
I thought that was unfair.
anyway,----
then came csback! We played that, too, swapping disks because we only had one original, but it was not an as intensive a gaming as dungeon master had been.

I never got that much into dm2..there seems to be some interesting things in that game, though.

Well, that´s it from me...and i am nearly 25 now
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

I must have been 6 or 7 when i first watched my brother play CSB on our amiga 500. I think I used to just load my brothers save games when he wasn't home and run around madly trying exploring the dungeon and get hopelessly lost. Eventually I got the hang of it and was able to start my own games but I was too scared to try some areas, like the Ruby key place at DAIN and alot of KU. I also remember our attempts to map CSB which the teleporters everywhere messed up, like at the junctions, my brother would be saying "that corridor can't be 6 squares long!!" and "you must have made a wrong turn back somewhere!".

I played it off and on for years and eventually figured out you were supposed to throw the corbums across the Ful ya pit but then the game always crashed before it showed the ending sequence, which always really annoyed me and i won the game several more times trying to get it work, but it never did. We also had a very buggy DM version which crashed frequently, doors would half open, flying objects and spells would freeze, monsters would stop, and the game would crash. But we eventually won that by saving and loading all the time, so it was worth it.

Now i'm 17 and still enjoy playing, making records, playing new dungeons and new competitions, but i'm starting to wish i had taken computer programming at school so I could attempt to do more, and create my own dungeons.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Hmmm, no-one has admitted to being over 30 yet. DM is pushing 20 years old and I played it when it first came out as a young adult - I have now reached official oldfartdom at the age of 41. :oops:

My enthusiasm for games has not dimmed at all as my tummy expands and my hair disappears, only the types of games I play. In my teens and twenties I was really into long AD&D sessions and big strategy games like Civilisation, as well as hours in front of the computer either with pals or on my own. As I think I mentioned before me and my housemates used to play CSB in trandem.

These days with work and family commitments I play computer games in short bursts (still haven't finished Conflux 2 or ToC or Prisoner) and play mostly German boardgames with similarly afflicted friends once a week, plus, I shamelessly admit, the oldies' favourite Bridge.

P.S. My favourite board game is Puerto Rico - see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3076
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

Im proud to admit to beginning to play DM when i was about 6 (im 23 now) years old. Been hooked ever since :) i guess im just an old-fahioned kinda guy who loves dungeons "to death" ;)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Well, Beowuuf's 'useless' poll turned into soemthing interesting!

I'll be 32 in August -- been playing since I was 16. Half my life!!!!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah for the self-indulent poll! *pats self on the back*

saw it properly when i was 13 - 14, now i'm 26.986 (just to continue the 'half my life' theme)