How to import DM Characters into CSB?

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back for Windows and Linux, an unofficial port of Chaos Strikes Back to PC by Paul Stevens, as well as CSBuild, an associated dungeon editor.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Smiley
Neophyte

How to import DM Characters into CSB?

Post by Smiley »

Hello,

I found this community a couple of weeks ago, reason enough to fresh up some old memories of these beloved games. I was quite surprised there are still so many people enjoying DM.

So I thank Paul for his efforts spent for CSB and the community that pushed the project to where it is now.

My question:
Having finished DM (Paul's great CSB4Win Clone 9.8 ) with a group of well-trained fellows, I would like to use them within Chaos Strikes Back and to try to finish this hard game (I went desperate and put the game beside once I tried about 15 years ago). I think - if my memory does not play tricks with me - that Chaos Strikes Back did have some kind of import feature so I am curious if and how it might be possible to use the characters from the old Dungeon Master / CSB4Win savegame within Chaos Strikes Back?

Could a nice fellow give me some advice how to accomplish this task?

Thank you and happy gaming! :)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Can you use the UTILITY function to create a new CSB game from
an old DM game plus the mini.dat? I think someone said that was
possible.
Smiley
Neophyte

Post by Smiley »

Thanks for your fast reply, Paul.

When I try to open an old DM savegame with the utility function, I get the response "SAVED GAME ERROR". I tried to import another savegame without any equipment in the inventory but it didn't work, either.

Finally I created a completely new DM game, saved and opened it in the utility. It could be opened but pressing the "MAKE NEW ADVENTURE" button resulted in the following message: "CAN'T MAKE NEW ADVENTURE FROM THIS SAVED GAME. ALREADY UTILIZED."

I wish it'd give a way because my crew became very straight-forward and CSB would become much easier with a well-trained team.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Can you send me the DM savegame that you would like to import?
I should be able to do it somehow. My emil addrdess is in the
Help/About menu dialog.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hmm, just tried this quickly, but I still only have v9.7. Using a custom DM game i just selected utility, the saved game slot where i copied my custom dm dungeon to, and my character came up. Selected make new adventure and selected it again in the pop up, saved over the dm game and voila - one restart i had a very underpowered stamm running from worms.

So the fault is either in the converted dm dungeon or in v9.8 - i can try both after work
Smiley
Neophyte

Post by Smiley »

My warmest thanks to both of you for trying to to help me or addressing the problem. I have sent a savegame to your mail adress, Paul. Hopefully it will be of some use.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Interesting, tried importing a fairly advanced game from tower of chaos, using v9.8, and it imported fine - so I guess it's up to Paul to provide some insight!
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Use the CSBwin version 9.8v2 in:
http://dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/Size4Demo.rar

Zyx: this CSBwin and CSBuild 1.53 allow footprints to
be planted and seen with the editor.[/url]
Smiley
Neophyte

Post by Smiley »

Paul Stevens wrote:Use the CSBwin version 9.8v2 in:
http://dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/Size4Demo.rar
You are my hero! That's it, it works now perfectly. Thank you so much for all your help, you are awesome great fellows.

Did I mention that I thank you? I do! :)
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Agh! I would like to check this out, but where is the site?
I'm a boy, unlike my avatar.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

http://dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin is where all the new engine. CSbuilds etc are - is that the site you mean?
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Thanks. I found it, way down on the bottom of the list.
I'm a boy, unlike my avatar.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Looking again, now I understand, grab the CSBWin from that file. I thought this was a demo showing how you can do this import thing. So all I need is just the CSBWin sword thing right?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes, though the 'size4demo' is not the latest engine

All Paul meant was get the latest CSBwin file. Just download the csbwin<whatever suffix>.exe file with the latest date further up, and usually a good idea to get the complimentary latest CSBuild file too.

WARNING: This will have some brand new feature - so it might have a bug in it. Then again, Paul does all this hard work, so probably good to check out the engine and playtest it for him, and mention if something in the newest one has become broken.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

I have the latest from another thread, I know you know that beowuuf, you said it yourself one time. I have told him about a bug about that copy thing.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, you do know how fast he updates these things, right? : ) Always best to check the root directory every so often
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

whoah
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

I just checked it out. Yeah, I see what you mean!
Nemem9aa
Neophyte

Post by Nemem9aa »

Smiley wrote:Thanks for your fast reply, Paul.

When I try to open an old DM savegame with the utility function, I get the response "SAVED GAME ERROR". I tried to import another savegame without any equipment in the inventory but it didn't work, either.

Finally I created a completely new DM game, saved and opened it in the utility. It could be opened but pressing the "MAKE NEW ADVENTURE" button resulted in the following message: "CAN'T MAKE NEW ADVENTURE FROM THIS SAVED GAME. ALREADY UTILIZED."

I wish it'd give a way because my crew became very straight-forward and CSB would become much easier with a well-trained team.
Hi, i just have same problem, like smiley got. But i am using linux version downloaded from http://dmweb.free.fr/Downloads/CSBLinux98.tar.gz . I am not able to find newer version (or source - but i not quite sure, if i can compile them).
Thx.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

http://www.dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/

For example CSBwin98v78

is 78 versions later than the one you are using.
I think I relaxed some of those import restrictions
that the original FTL game enforced. There are no
more recent linux versions. The linux folks may still
be nearby. Perhaps we need to bite the bullet and update
to version 9.9. Erik, are you there?
Nemem9aa
Neophyte

Post by Nemem9aa »

Yes, windows port works perfectly. It is possible to run newer CSBwin under wine and in "utility" "make new adventure" .It is imposible actualy to play CSBwin under wine, but DM heros can be transfered into CSB.

(DM save file from CSBlinux -> wine CSBwin98v78 -> chaos strikes back CSBlinux)
I just hope, that save files are fully compatible :)
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

The new game is damaged

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

I am trying to do this with another dungeon, but when I press the "Make New Adventure" button, it says "the new game is damaged." I was using CSBWin98v111, and I also tried CSBWin98v113, but none worked. I even tried CSBWin98v23 from the Size4Demo, but it didn't work. Does anybody know what this message means?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Did you actually run a dungeo nand create a saved game using the new engine first before 'start new adventure'?
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

I saved a game with 111, then tried loading it with 111. I didn't even think of that.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You mean you did that before and it doesn't work, or you did that now and it does work?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I think he did. Now he doesn't. Why don't you try doing it? Do so! Try then don't. Or else do not. Yes! That's the way to do it! I guess you did not do this. Did you even think of that?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

You sound like Yoda
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

statement random here insert
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

My slate placeholders are looking dirty now...dirty like sin....
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Well, beowuuf, guessing that what you meant by "did it before" is another time, I did try it not that long ago, right before I asked. That message is what's stumping me, I haven't seen it before. Again, it is "The New Adventure is Damaged." I get that when I press "Create New Adventure" Could it be because one dungeon is CSB graphics(that I'm importing to) and one is DM graphics(exporting from). I want the appearance of my champion (I only have one) to change when I send it from one dungeon to the other.

Return to “Chaos Strikes Back for Windows & Linux (CSBWin) / CSBuild”