importing .ADF (Amiga emulator for PC) files to CSBWin ?

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back for Windows and Linux, an unofficial port of Chaos Strikes Back to PC by Paul Stevens, as well as CSBuild, an associated dungeon editor.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Florent
Um Master

importing .ADF (Amiga emulator for PC) files to CSBWin ?

Post by Florent »

Hello,

I can't believe I have actually found you. Finally ! My Amiga 500's floppy disk drive died years ago. Then I played DM and CSB on my PC, using an Amiga emulator (I believe it was WinUAE). I have made some pretty good games and saved them with the emulator. They are still stored on my HD as .ADF files (Amiga Disk Files I believe).

I would like to know if there is a way of converting these files to a CSBWin compatible format. I have DM save games, CSB save games, and even a CSB portrait disk with some original portraits that I did !
While I'm at it, I also have Amiga floppies of DM, CSB (both cracked but working perfectly), and saved games for both games, as well as a portrait disk Amiga floppy with some original portraits of my own as well !

If anyone can help me port all this to a PC/CSBWin format, well, I'd be more than happy !

Thank you Paul Stevens ! I thought nobody cared about this game anymore...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I thought nobody cared about this game anymore...
As you can see from this forum, that is far from the case! Welcome, bold adventurer! :)

I'm not sure that CSBWin supports Amiga dungeons/save gams directly. However, you *should* be able to do what you want, using the following tools (I say "should", I haven't tried it myself)

ADFOpus: Will allow you to extract specific files from ADFs straight into any Windows folder
Converters: These will allow you to convert dungeons from one format to another (scroll down a bit on the new page to the converters)

Give it a go, it might work (with the caveat about Amiga stuff as above).
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Thank you for your super fast reply and warm welcome !

I will give a go at what you suggested...

Also keep in mind my question about retrieving my Amiga floppies into CSBWin... Really don't know how to do that !!!
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

Salut Florent
Have some bad and a little bit of good news for you...
Guess i'll start with the bad: it is entirely impossible to read the original amiga disks on the PC without bying some additional Hardware from a company called catweazel. This is due to some floppy controller issue.

As to your .adf files from the Emu: a bit of good news there, cause there's the programm adf-opus out there, which let's you access the file structur of the adf and copy things to the windows side of the world.

-->ADF Opus Homepage

Sadly, there is also a downside there..cause the adf has to have a workbench file structur on it and not all amige disks had that feauture, but the chances are good when it comes to save disks.

On a sidenote: if your heart is really set on the real amiga disks, then there are two additional ways to save em over to the PC:
- the hardware way: you'll need an scsi HDD and a scsi controller on both computers
- the software way: via serial cable connection between the PC and Amige, where you have to send a little app called transdisk over to the amiga and from there it sends over amiga disks as adf files to the PC, each taking like half an hour....knowledge of amigaDOS required to perform the varioius commands.

Well...hope the adf opus way works out cause in contrast to the other stuff it's really only a bunch of mouse clicks :p

bonne chance
I'm gonna sleep in the rat room.
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

looks like i'm a slow writer :)
I'm gonna sleep in the rat room.
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Wow you guys are fast !

Salut Journeyman :wink:

To answer your post, it's impossible for me to use the hardware solution because my Amiga floppy disk drive is dead. Completely dead. It can't read floppies anymore. Which is why I'm asking people around here for help : if someone wants to help me, I could send him my floppies for conversion (I would like them back afterwards though).

Now for the "soft" way : I've downloaded ADFOpus. However I don't know which converter to use after that, I can't seem to find a "savegame converter"...

Thanks everyone for your help !
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Aah, the converters only work on Dungeon files, not savegame files.

You could try downloading CSBuild (look in the Quicklinks menu at the top of this page and choose the link to "CSB for Windows & Linux (Downloads)". This is the editor program that works with CSB Win. Once you've got the DMGAME.DAT from your ADF file, open it in CSBuild then save it as CSBGame.dat -- I'm guessing here that this will convert your old format to the CSB Win format -- then you can play it with CSB Win.

However, last time I tried opening an Amiga savegame in CSBuild it wouldn't work but maybe Paul has added support for this now. I don't know.

Alternatively, DMute will read Amiga savegames, but it won't convert them.. You'll still only be able to play them under emulation.
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Thanks for your input Gambit. I'll try this a little later. Right now I just started a new game from the top. :twisted:

Return to “Chaos Strikes Back for Windows & Linux (CSBWin) / CSBuild”