[RTC] Sukumvit's Labyrinth

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

[RTC] Sukumvit's Labyrinth

Post by linflas »

Hi folks !

History :
v1.5 compiled and ultra-tested with RTC 0.34 :
v1.3 and 1.4 not for release.
v1.2 compiled and tested with RTC 0.32
v1.1 compiled with RTC 0.30 : unstable version.
v1.0 for RTC 0.28

Download this dungeon from this Shared OneDrive (in the 'Custom Dungeons' folder)
Last edited by linflas on Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:47 am, edited 14 times in total.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

what is this for? CSBwin? DM orriginal? RTC? DMJava?

It's best to post these things so people don't have to download it to find out.

thank you for sharing it though.. always good to see new dungeons!

moo
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

sorry, i didn't think that 160kb were so long to download ;) anyway, it's an RTC dungeon, v0.28 is required.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

sorry if it sounded like I was hassling you.. it's not about how big it is, just about those who may not use one or the other engines either due to not having the proper OS (ie. linux, macs, etc) or just personal prefrences. It's about convenience. For me it doesn't matter, however clarity is always nice. :)

Thanks for providing the version number developed for too.. didn't think about that one. :)

Which editor did you use to get 6 whole levels done? that a serious amount of typing if you didn't use one ;)

moo
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i used the original RTC editor from GG. it crashes each time you play with new bitmaps, new sounds or try to edit a wall-shooter (very strange bug) but it's definitely the most efficient editor for me, as long as you save frequently. I had to restart from the beginning twice because i didn't have a backup of my txt file, now i'm very good in copy/paste and rename txt files ! :)
I tried Unnamed Bone's one but i didn't like the interface and the program was hard to install. Andy's editor is promising but not useable actually.
of course i tried CSBuild but i definitely can't understand actuators. RTC triggers/relay/counters are really easier to use.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I had a quick play of this last night - quite an adventure, lots of little bits and bobs. Not found any spells yet, and just using one man, I'll let you know how I get on!
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Ace! We need more RTC dungeons. I think CSBWin is fantastic but I just can't get used to the lack of sounds as compared to RTC (I played the Amiga version and I think the footsteps are part of the atmosphere). Reactor was good but a bit too short. Lets see more RTC dungeons!!!
Big-J-Q
Adept

Post by Big-J-Q »

Are there no flasks available? I'm getting seriously injured and have no means of healing :( Except by sleeping, but it doesn't heal damaged body parts.

I think it's possible to get completely stuck, although it's in the beginning of dungeon when it still is no problem to restart. If you go to the part of dungeon that contains rats and "curiosity killed the cat", there's no way out. One must take the other way first from which the curiosity-part can be reached. The other door that connects these places could only be opened from the other side.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Argh! I'm also stuck in this part. I guess I chose the wrong path then...
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i made several "stuck" parts as there are many in FF books. you MUST use several savegames like you probably did in CSB.
about flasks, maybe i should have placed one or two into the first part of the dungeon : tell me if you really think it's impossible and i'll release a new version.
Big-J-Q
Adept

Post by Big-J-Q »

I don't think it's impossible to carry on without the flasks, it just gets tedious when you are poisoned, you have the necessary runes but you have no flasks.

I wish I had known that you need to use several savegames. I really, REALLY hope there aren't many complete dead ends.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

i didn't try it so far, but i think, a dungeon should have no dead ends, because they are rather frustrating and it's more or less luck if you get trapped or not.
you could change the dead-ends to teleport to a "surrender your possessions"-like area (could maybe demand to kill a partymember and use his bones to open a door, using a vi-altar will then make him lose 1-7 (?) permanint health poits) und teleport them back to start after this. still a hard punishment and will most probably make people still use several savegames, but you aren't doomed if you don't.
just a suggestion, though.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

interesting suggestion but in fact, there's only one real intentional dead end that can be clearly unfair : the other ones can be called "traps for too curious people" :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, knowing it was based on FF books, i guessed that it would follow that format of 'you may be on the wrong path and not be able to finish the game'
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

What are these FF Bo0ks by the way?
I like the characters: they have balanced stats.
Last edited by zoom on Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

these are game books you are the hero and choose the path to complete the adventure. and if you were not in the right one or have being killed by on monster, you had to restart from the beginning :twisted:
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Cheers. unfortunately i have edited my last post.
again: i think you did a great job with the character balance/creation!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

thanks ! :) anyway, about dead ends, there can be some that i didn't realized when playtesting the dungeon, then pm me and i will correct them.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Just started playing this dungeon and I'm not really enjoying it :( Maybe I'm getting old, but I can't seem to find what to do -- I have a bunch of keys that don't open the locked doors I've found and other doors with no keys that I can't open. Killed everything in the prison. I seemed to be locked in to an area bound by the latrines, the thrid trial master at the bototm of the stairs, and some other closed doors... a tiny hint perhaps?

I agree about the dead ends too -- remove them or give more of an indication what's happening. I played a few games taking one particular path and couldn't get anywhere, had to completely restart. That's simply not fun.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

that's the trouble with the fighting fantasy books was the onyl one way to win it, but also the fun
really each dungoen trip should be about mapping each path, and trying to work out if an item that you are missing is in a place you didn't check
i have many, many maps from those books...only once, i read one through, didnt' do the combat, was just hcecking it out in the library, mentally noting what i pissessed, and actually completeled it first time! pure luck
to go further into OTness, the sorcerer one annoyed me the most, as after all your hard work, the book came down to a simple bttle with the odds stacked against you...not fun to lose at the last hurdle when you have done nothign wrong
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

damn, i thought it wouldn't be so hard :( you look like me when i started Conflux 2 for the first time (many locked doors, killed by rats, falling into pits all the time, ...)
there is a new release coming tomorrow for RTC 0.30, with (i hope) a better gameplay.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Fighting fantasy... roll for stamina... a double six! Lucky me!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

i would trade a double six in stamina for skill and especially luck!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

you look like me when i started Conflux 2 for the first time
But Conflux 2 didn't have so many unexplained dead ends! I found it pretty straightforward once I bought into Zyx's warped imagination!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

and right could be the explanation for the genesis of the christmas story thread....
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Anyway, any tips? I have the spellbook and the power runes, but nothing else useful and no flasks. Help!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Gambit37 wrote:(...) and some other closed doors... a tiny hint perhaps
there's nothing to do in latrines and you will open third master door (Sapphire way) really later in the game so actually, you must solve the 'living doors' puzzle to continue Emerald.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Living doors? If that's the bit with the gigglers and the 'curiosity' pits on the other path I can't get there because the gate to the area I'm in closed behind me. There doesn't appear to be anywhere else to go. I have a cross key, an iron key and a solid key. There's a lock next to a door with a semicircle window that's around from where you open the back door in the prison to get the spell book. I was fairly sure one of my keys would open that but no joy. I also can't open that second portcullis in the room with all the grates and some invisible pits underneath them. What gives?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

new release up, check the first post of this thread !
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I got quite a bit further after one of your hints but had to go to bed. Should I continue my current 0.28 game, or start again from scratch in the 0.30 game?