Favourite DM character

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Favourite DM character

Post by PaulH »

It has to be Stamm. Even with DM2 and CSB (Lor ain't bad), I champion Stamm as the best ever character. Leif was a close second, but Stamm's huge axe swayed the vote. Now that Stamms's beard has it own story, the argument is concluded. Vote Stamm!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I've always loved Stamm, so much I put him as the only character in the dungoen I did : )

Otherwise I would have to say I have a soft spot for ZEd
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

WU TSE
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

Actually, honestly, if I were going to put a lot of thought into it, I'd probably say that Chani is a better character and more the kind of character I like, but ... I picked Wu Tse when I was four (or thereabouts) and I'm sticking to her.

Male character, I have a soft spot for Mophus. Practicality is a non-issue. I'll die a lot whatever party I pick, so I might as well pick based on who I like best.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

Chani. Sexy look combined with deadly magic. what else can you ask for?
Ok, a bit boring to chose the best character in game, but i can't resist her.
2nd place and male vote goes to Alex.
CSB: Itza/Petal.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Never mind stats. Wuuf is cute :D. Hissssa looks cool. Gothmog also looks cool (and I found out in Return of the King Extended Edition DVD the other day that there's an icky orc also called Gothmog!). Some of the insectoid and avian (bird) characters in CSb also look cool. So do the skelly characters. The centaurs are okay too. And the reptiles. Except Toadrot :P.
As for liking chars for stats...I always carry my DM party through to CSB so I can't say about them. But you can probably do well regardless of who you have. Well, I seem to recall Iaido as being shyte...
Anyway...erm...yeah.
:D
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

icky orc? gothmog is a nazgul-lord.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yeah, they just knew he was a leuitentant, so decided to create an orc on the ground commanding the army, and took that name

iis the leuitenant in the book and the gothmog of the silmarilian the same?
BloodFromStone
Expert

Post by BloodFromStone »

Hawk the Fearless is too badass to be ignored. Alex is probably my favorite, though. Hence him starring in my story...

Tunda the Surefooted is probably my favorite out of the CSB characters, but they don't really hold any soft spots for me. Something seems very impersonal about the cast of CSB. :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I like Aroc from the CSB...don't knwo why, combination of stats, looks and ...i dunno really!
I tend to take him as a sollow guy, even though his magic regeneration lets him down a little...
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

I've always loved Elija and Daroou. Daroou beats Stamm's facial hair anytime ! :wink:
sucinum wrote:icky orc? gothmog is a nazgul-lord.
I'm not sure Gothmog is a Nazgul... Take a look at this (http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/g/gothmog.html):
Gothmog
Lord of Balrogs

Dates: Entered Arda at its beginning; slain I 510
Race: Ainur
Division: Maiar (of the kind known as Balrogs)
Meaning: Uncertain. 'Dread Enforcer' is one possibility1
Titles: High-captain of Angband, Lord of Balrogs

The most powerful of all the Balrogs, one of the chief servants of Melkor, who held an authority hardly less than Sauron himself. A wily commander and fearsome fighter, Gothmog was often accompanied by others of his fiery kind, and at least in the Nirnaeth he had a personal guard of dozens of trolls. His weapon was a great black axe.

The Elves first encountered him in the Dagor-nuin-Giliath, the battle fought under the stars before the first rising of the Moon. In that battle, Fëanor's fury had caused him to draw forward of the main force of the Noldor, and so he came upon Gothmog with only a small guard. Even so, he fought valiantly, and though the armies of the Noldor eventually drove the Balrogs off, Fëanor's wounds could not be healed.

After that first battle, Gothmog does not appear for several centuries. He emerged from Angband to fight in the battle known as the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, the fifth and last battle of the Wars of Beleriand. He brought up a huge army, and drove aside the forces around High King Fingon, and slew the King with his axe. His trolls assailed Fingon's ally Húrin, who he eventually captured and brought back to Angband.

But Gothmog was not indestructible. He took part in (and indeed presumably led) Morgoth's deadly surprise assault on the Hidden City of Gondolin. In the square of the King in the heart of the city, he came upon the Elf-lord Ecthelion of the Fountain. They fought a great duel, and in the end Gothmog and Ecthelion slew one another. So ended one of the most feared denizens of the pits of Angband.
There is a second entry for Gothmog on the same website (http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/g/gothmog2.html :
Gothmog
Lieutenant of Morgul at the Battle of the Pelennor

Dates: Extant during the War of the Ring: he was present at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields on 15 March III 3019
Race: Unknown1
Pronunciation: go'thmog
Meaning: Uncertain2
Titles: Lieutenant of Morgul

Lieutenant to the Lord of the Nazgûl at the Battle of the Pelennor - he took command of the forces of Minas Morgul after the loss of his lord.

Almost nothing is known about Gothmog - in fact, it isn't even possible to say what race of beings he belonged to (see note 1 below). His only recorded action was at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, following the loss of his master: in response to the arrival of the Rohirrim, he called his army's reserve out of Osgiliath and into the main battle. That aside, the details of Gothmog's nature and role must remain in the realms of speculation.

Notes
1 Gothmog is mentioned precisely once in The Lord of the Rings, and we're given absolutely no clues about his race. As second-in-command to the Lord of the Nazgûl himself, he clearly had very great authority over Sauron's forces, and this has led some to suggest that Gothmog was also one of the Nazgûl. This by no means impossible, but it is notable that Frodo and Sam, who saw the Witch-king lead his armies from Minas Morgul, only observed one Nazgûl leading the host.

Others have speculated that Gothmog might have been a Man. We know that the Lieutenant of Barad-dûr was a Man (a descendant of the Black Númenóreans), so it seems perfectly plausible that the Lieutenant of Morgul might come from the same race. What's more, the Witch-king's companions, as seen by Frodo and Sam, do seem to have been Men.

The idea of Gothmog being an Orc seems rather less likely, but even that possibility cannot be dismissed. Ultimately, there's no hard evidence about Gothmog's race.

2 The name Gothmog was originally given to a mighty Balrog of the Elder Days, one of the greatest servants of Morgoth the first Dark Lord. Its meaning is unclear, and several possibilities exist, such as 'Dread Enforcer', 'Voice of Morgoth' or 'Black Master'. For more information on this topic, see the entry for the original Gothmog.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

wow - i feel very bad for having read lotr only 6-8 times, but not even once the boring attachement and other history-stuff. some people seem to have studied it.
but i also think lotr is overrated as a story - the background may be unique and whatever, but the books themselves just aren't as enjoyable as some people claim.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

when i was a child i used to find the good bits really good but the lbad bits really boring

now i don't think of the longer or 'bad' bits as bad, but the good bits don't thrill me as much...so there you go
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Favourite dm character: Hissssa; concerning stats and picture my favourite.

Second comes Daroou, he is not that good at his stats , especially now that i know Dexterity deals a great part in combat. but definitely a cool character- mudmen, where else do you get those??.

Wuuf i like very much ,too. really nice stats and a flask- a priest.

the fourth character is hard to choose:
maybe Gothmog, depends on whom you have already chosen.

Alright, finally the characters i am unlikely to choose: Mophus, zed, wu tse, leyla, alex, gando, boris.

Gothmog: was that a roleplaying character of one of the people from ftl?
Anyway, for me he is a half-demon wizard.

@beowuuf: you posted sth. about jabberwocky and the origin of vorpal blades: i am very interested what you know about vorpal blades and their origin; Anything apart from the poem?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

nope, not a jot apart from that - i think some programme read out passges from the jabberwocky and i went 'vorpal blade? what!' : )
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Here is a photo of gothmog in the movie "The return of the king":
http://www.tk421.net/lotr/film/rotk/img/rotk0915.jpg

taken form this page, where there are a few other photos of him:
http://www.tk421.net/lotr/film/rotk/19.html
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

This could explain at least why he has a cloak wrapped all around his head ;)
JCG
Mon Master

Post by JCG »

Daroou is always a member of the team. He is strong and always willing to carry most of the team's stuff. I have also at least one female character: Syra, Chani or Leyla. They all love Daroou's soft and warm fur when exploring these cold and damp dungeons.
Daroo's buddy : Hissssa, is also quite often there. Others characters: Iaido, Zed, Nabi, Leif, Halk.
For CSB, I have always imported a DM party.
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

Daroou, a mudman? I always thought he was large and hairy. Like a wookiee or Robin Williams.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Definitely hairy.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Well, he does look kind of hairy, i admit. But i really think he is a mudman, a hairy one, but mudman-like, because of his mouth. *mega-shrug*. You really think he is a furry beastie? No mud at all?? oh man, do i feel sick...
BloodFromStone
Expert

Post by BloodFromStone »

Yeah, Darou's always looked hairy to me.

And, no, Gothmog isn't the creator guy's roleplaying character, that's Alex Ander.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Yeah, you are all perfectly right; he looks kind of furry.But:

Take a look at the dungeonmaster(updated) portraits;

The "master " daroou looks more like a mudman to me than a hairy wookie.

Therefore, he "could be" a mudman!. What´cha think?

Gothmog: Yes, i mixed Alex Ander up with him. So for me, if he is called like a balrog(demon) he is also one. Seems at least logical and the eyes aren´t very human, too.

But then again, what can you do, mages seem to be supernatural thus the red eyes.
He could also be asian, because there are only 2 out of 24 asian champions(Wu Tse & Iaido)

After all, you can imagine things, so it is not 100% certain what everyone is .

Like, for example, i always wondered about the feet of Wuuf and of Hissssa(I think they made a spelling mistake in the name; should it be Lizar or Lizard of Makan?)
Does Hissssa got a tail? Or Wuuf? Most likely yes.
Well, i have made some scetches of some of the characters, think i´ll post them when i have successfully scanned and uploaded them.
shock:)seems i have typed too much....
Babe Bridou
Journeyman

Post by Babe Bridou »

Darouu always reminded me of the Fraggle Rock TV show (hehe, anybody seeing what I mean? :))

Incidentally, I've been very fond of Boris for a long time, Boris, Leif and Azizi. But everything changed since I played a season of Bloodbowl with a human team called: Dungeon Masters Champions.

I managed to claim the Blood Bowl trophy with this team! Here comes the roster:

1 - Darouu - blitzer
2 - Hissssa - blitzer
3 - Halk the Barbarian - blitzer
4 - Stamm Bladecaster - blitzer
5 - Boris Wizard of Balor - thrower
6 - Tiggy Tamal - thrower
7 - Syra Nature's child - catcher
8 - Chani Sayyadina Sihaya - lineman
9 - Nabi the prophet - lineman
10 - Alex Ander - lineman
11 - Wuuf the bika - thrower
12 - Sonja She devil - catcher
13 - Wu Tse son of Heaven - catcher

The whole team became very, very experimented, with each character developing skills according to their supposed DM "talents". For example Darouu became sturdy and unstoppable, Hissa was a talented puncher, I gave Halk access to frenzy-like skills, etc.

Well my favourite characters from then on became Sonja, because she completely dominated the fields during the season :)
JCG
Mon Master

Post by JCG »

Daroou is definitely a wookie, one of these huge, warm and hairy walking carpets, and I reincarnate him as "Chewie"
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

no, he is a mudman *flee*
BloodFromStone
Expert

Post by BloodFromStone »

Does Hissssa got a tail?
He should be able to use it as a weapon to attack monsters behind him.
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

Don't listen to BFS. He just likes lizardmen, especially if they use their tails as weapons.

I find it very amusing that you reincarnate Daroou as Chewie. I wonder what the craziest reincarnation names people have used are. My favorite was always "Cereal Food of Nature" (hahaha)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

A rather fanciful interpretation of Gothmog is seen in the movie version of Return of the King, as noted on the Enyclopedia of Arda:
The strange, disfigured creature - some kind of Orc, apparently - who leads the armies of Mordor against Minas Tirith has seen his part in the story expanded immensely. This is Gothmog, the Lieutenant of Morgul, who is mentioned precisely once in the book, and about whom we know practically nothing.
While it's not important to the movie who *excatly* this character is, I'm sure Tolkien would turn in his grave to see some of his finer details misinterpreted so.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Regarding the lower bodies of Hissssa and Wuuf - yeah, I picture them as having tails too - they're both in my DM story (albeit with different names since they've been reincarnated).
Speaking of which, I will carry on with that story, but it's saved only on the college computers and I don't go back till the 10th.