Dungeon-master.com mass Mailing problem

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Dungeon-master.com mass Mailing problem

Post by cowsmanaut »

I'm getting a LOT of failure notices in my junk box that have emails addresses like this:
<have@ceskyhosting.cz>:
<a@ceskyhosting.cz>:
<real@ceskyhosting.cz>:
<about@ceskyhosting.cz>:
<being@ceskyhosting.cz>:
<Edricks@ceskyhosting.cz>:
<Janne@ceskyhosting.cz>:
<Daniel@ceskyhosting.cz>:
<Da@ceskyhosting.cz>:
<Secret@ceskyhosting.cz>:
<Daniel@ceskyhosting.cz>:
<i@ceskyhosting.cz>:
<thing@ceskyhosting.cz>:
<forum@ceskyhosting.cz>:
<Mistress@ceskyhosting.cz>:

My guess is that it looks in the email and looks for the word in there and if there is some kind of sentance ie "i don't have one" it then sends to i@cheskyhosting.cz... which doesn't exist.

does anyone have any other ideas.. or can confirm this for me?

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ummm... not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean using the mass email from this forum? You will obviously get failures if people have entered rubbih email addresses or addresses that no longer exist.

I believe there are two email features on this board: one uses phpBBs own routine (which I believe never worked), the other will use the standard PHP sendmail facility. If you're using the latter, then yes, failures will go to whatever the admin address is set up as on the server. You'll need to speak to Martin about that as it's not something we have control over.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yes as in the two that George just sent.. those are just a few that showed up as "sorry this address does not exist"... which makes me wonder about those that maybe do exist.. at cheskyhosting.cz..

well, this was one of those things that never happened before we got here. so it must be something that our side is handing to their side. So that when their side receives just a single word it adds '@cheskyhosting.cz' itself..

moo
Equus / ZPC
Big head, big heart

Post by Equus / ZPC »

sounds like mail-bombing ... could I please recieve some copies of those mails?
Full email headers would be handy...
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

they are all from cowsmanaut@hotmail.com which is the return mail set on this forums. and the mail itself was the anouncement of the latest RTC version. I've deleted them already but most were to the address' above.

All I'm wondering is why it's adding '@cheskyhosting.cz" to the end of them instead of just not sending...
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Perhaps the mail server does this. Your mail server isn't cheskyhosting.cz by any chance? I remember you could send mail through AOL using just the username (e.g., PlanetKilla8346) and it would tack on the aol.com automatically. Could be something like that.