So, tell us about yourself...

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: So, tell us about yourself...

Post by Ameena »

Isn't Half-Life 3 one of those rumours-that-people-like-talking-about-but-will-never-actually-be-true? That's the impression I've got from seeing it mentioned here and there. I've not played any of the Half-Life games, though. I have played the Portal games, however ;D.

Post by Big Stan 426 »

I think they will make it.I kind of guessed they were waiting for the next generation of consoles to arrive.Well that passed and no HalfLife 3.I have the Portal games on Steam.My son played them but I have not tried them yet."The cake is a lie."lol.One of Valves bigwigs held a news conference and was wearing a HalfLife 3 t-shirt.They are tight lipped about their games.Anyhow,I am getting psyched up to jump back in the DM universe.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

There's plenty of DM universe to jump into here too. You have the clones of the FTL originals, plus many different clones, each with their own collection of custom dungeons, and new ones in development as well.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

You are right SU.I am still amazed that other ppl take DM as serious as I do.I thought I was all alone.By the by,another very good dungeon crawler is Wizadry 5 Heart of the Maelstrom.I am stuck on level six after all these years.Excellent game.It has magical pools with levels and you have to build up your swimming skills to reach the bottom.Bad part is your characters age,like when you go to the surface to heal at the inn,like in weeks.It adds up.But at least you do not starve or die of thirst.Last night I took my Sega CD out of my closet.Found DM2 and pressed the power button,the cd part fired up but the Genesis part is no more good.C'est la vie.I gave my copy of DM1 to my father in law years ago.He collects old games.So I am going to order another copy off of Amazon.In the meantime I will be playing Wizadry.I am a patient person.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

You should be able to replace your genesis with an emulator, I still play some of my favorite Sega Genesis games on the emulator Gens.

I haven't played Wizardry 5, but I have played BotCF (I think that's the 7th installment in the Wizardry series) and got close to the end of it. I love that game, and would probably love Wizardry 5 as well. I played BotCF a bit on my Amiga emulator, WinUAE, a while back, I think last summer... anyways, if any of the other Wizardry games were made for the Amiga, I should be able to find them somewhere online.

If you like dungeon crawlers, you'll probably like kanda's project, Dungeon Kings. It's a dungeon crawler inspired by all these games we've been talking about.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

SU,is it possible to run any DM games on a laptop?Our family has gone through about 4 or 5 Dells and one Cyberpower desktops.Now we only buy Alienware.My son has the good pcs.I am using my wife's Asus laptop.I have been meaning to buy an Alienware for myself but I have to save up for it.I am a dinosaur when it comes to computer things.I know the basics but that is about it.One last thing,have you ever tried the Etrian Odyssey series on Nintendo DS?Dungeon Crawling is my most favorite type of game to play.Period. :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I expect you can play any of the DM games on a laptop - maybe not from the original disk but there are enough clones/emulators out there designed to run on a PC that I'm sure a laptop will run them just fine too :).
Incidentally, Stan, I find your posts a little hard to read - it would help if you put a space after commas and full stops :).

Post by Big Stan 426 »

OK Ameena. I will put spaces between commas and stops. TY for pointing that out. I really do not know about clones/emulaters. But I will learn. It is funny all the games I love to play are from the 80's and 90's. My 16 year old son plays most of his games online. I am not a fan of doing that. I prefer to be in the dungeons with my party .Us against the world.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

I feel the same way. As for playing DM on a Windows laptop, the best I can recommend from my own experience with emulation is:

- for DOS versions of DM: DOSBox
- for Amiga versions: WinUAE (one of the best Amiga Emulators around). You can download WinUAE for free, but it doesn't come with the workbench ROMs you would need to run it, those are excluded for copyright reasons, but you can buy them legally if you buy Amiga Forever, which comes preloaded with a lot of Amiga games and the workbench ROMs (I think 1.3, 2.1 and 3.somthing) which you can then install on WinUAE to play any Amiga software which usually comes in .adf file type. You can download the .adf files at many sites that offer old game downloads, and some of them should have DM, CSB or DM2 available.

You can also go with any of several windows clones:
- Return to Chaos (RTC) comes with DM, CSB and DM2, plus there's a huge library of custom dungeons available to download on this board.
- DMJava also has some fun dungeons available for it, but I don't remember if anyone did the original dungeons for it.
- Dungeon Strikes Back (DSB) is the latest DM clone, which, I believe, has DM, and possibly CSB and DM2 as well, and has a small but growing library of custom dungeons
- CSBWin is another option, but I'm not the person to ask about what it offers as I've never used it and don't know anything about it, other then it exists.

I'd say my favorite games are, in this order:
1- Simulations
2- Dungeon Crawlers/RPGs
3- Sports/Business Management
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

TY for your help SU. It is greatly appreciated. I hate to seem like such a noob when it comes to emulation and clones and such. Oh, question. Simulation Sim City Windows Flight Sim . I mean no disrespect, I am just curious what it is . I talked to my son this a.m. he said he would help me.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

To add a little info on CSBWin, as I understand it it's a direct port of the Atari version, as it was back in the day. As such, it differs from clones such as RTC, the mechanics of which are done from scratch so don't quite match to the original version.
You can also play both DM and CSB on STEEM (the Atari emulator program) but I've not tried that since I've already got CSBWin.
You're not the only one who likes to play games fron the 80s and 90s btw - most of what I play dates back that far, though some of the more recently-made stuff I've played has been Indie games made by random people (individuals or very small groups, usually).
And thanks for now including spaces in your text - it makes it much easier on the eye :). I hope I didn't come across a bit rude or anything in pointing it out.

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Ameena you did not come off as rude. This is the first forum I have ever joined. I do not know the rules of engagement yet. Actually I have a neice whose name really is Ameena. Do no know how she properly spells it though. Well it is the weekend and I guess I will spend most of it with my drinking buddies. I do feel better now knowing there is a DM community that loves and relishes playing DM. I love it it when in DM1 you are exploring and all you hear is a water drip. Too cool. :)
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Big Stan 426 wrote:TY for your help SU. It is greatly appreciated. I hate to seem like such a noob when it comes to emulation and clones and such. Oh, question. Simulation Sim City Windows Flight Sim . I mean no disrespect, I am just curious what it is . I talked to my son this a.m. he said he would help me.
No Problem.

Simulation can refer to a lot of different types of games, there's a ton of sub-genres in that one, so I'm not surprised you might want to know more. Yes, I do love Sim City, the original, and all versions up to SC4, but definitely not the Sim City that came out in 2013, that's just another EA abomination that's ruined the franchise. Other games that also fall into the simulation genre can include flight/driving simulations, business/management simulations, life simulations, and so on. Basically, anything that exists in real life and can be simplified into a game can fall under the category of "Simulation". So another favorite of mine (and Ameena's), Frontier Elite 2 would also fall under the category of a simulation, this time space flight/trading/battle simulation. Railroad Tycoon would fall under the categories of a business simulation and a transport simulation. Hope that helps.

Don't worry about the newbie mistakes, you'll learn and get the hang of forum posting soon enough if you keep it up. We're a very supportive community and will help you through the learning curve.

My favorite games also mostly come from the late 80s and 90s. My all-time favorites like SuperStar Ice Hockey, DM, EOB, Wizardry: BotCF, Sim City, Civilization, Railroad Tycoon, to name a few all come from that era. Most of my favorite modern era games come from Indie developers, which IMO are the ones making the best games, in terms of story and gameplay. They may not have the big budgets for the flashy graphics that the mainstream developers have but the mainstream developers in many cases, have sacrificed good quality gameplay and storylines for flashy graphics and sound effects and don't seem to care about good game design any more, while the Indie devs mostly seem to do this because they're gamers too and love designing great games. To me that's more worth my money then some overpriced, under designed piece of EA or M$ junk that isn't nearly as much fun as the Indie games are.

Wow, I seem to be on a roll of long posts lately. :oops: :twisted: :lol:
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

TY for your patience SU. Indie things I can imagine they are great. I have not gotten to them yet. Ppl are creatures of habit. OMG do you read books? Ramsey Campbell. I thought Stephen King was good. I read Ramsey Campbell and it was all over. I woke up yelling and bathed in sweat. I live for being scared. It makes me feel alive.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Sorry for getting off the subject. I am watching the excorsit film show. fittin to go beddie byes. Film show keeps playing. Life is good.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

hello noob, welcome to the forum Stan :)
keep your gor coin handy
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

TY C haos-Shaman. Like on Animal House. Thank you sir,may I have another. I am basically a good person. Busy life,need to make time for DM. My only escape.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

there is no escape ;)
keep your gor coin handy
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

I am sorry if i disrespcted anyone on this forum. I am a 100% disabled American veteran. My wife is an Army veteran also. It does not mean I am better then anyone. I am regular like all of us. 3 weeks I will be playing DM.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi Big Stan. You've not disrespected anyone on the forum - far from it, you've made a great introduction and first impression. :)

We welcome you on board and I hope you enjoy your stay here. I'm one of the administrators and founder member of the forums, who has been helping maintain this place in various forms since the year 2000. Fourteen years of keeping Dungeon Master alive! Enjoy your stay. :-)
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

I agree with Gambit. You haven't offended anyone. You're doing good so far. No n00b-isms so far. :P

I may joke and tease around a bit, but you could probably guess that by my screen name. ;)
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

TY Fellas. I am currently working our pool in my backyard. Thanks for your words of encouragement. We live in deep south Teexass. Aand it get's Mucho hot. At least I get to see Roxy in 2 piece black bikini. omg
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Well enjoy the pool! And then find sometime to get out of the sun to play computer games. :)
Seriously Unserious wrote: So another favorite of mine (and Ameena's), Frontier Elite 2
And oh brother's!
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

...And mine...! Awesome game.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Omg. I need to leave this section. Big Stan gets verilly frustrated all too fast.fml. I really do apprecciate I do have. Comrades. City 17 6o.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

How do I sign in again?
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Excuse me for my ignorace.wtf is that game. Why did no one tell me. No one tells me anything. I am . I do not know. I get lonely. Wife works tooo much. I understand I am not the only one.
Big Stan 426
Journeyman

Post by Big Stan 426 »

Watching The Mist. I love being scared. Makes me feel alive.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Seriously Unserious wrote:...I may joke and tease around a bit...
:shock: :oops:

Mist in Texas??? :P

Two months ago, when we really had bad weather, I had a guest - told him that this weather will stay for a week.
And he said --- "beautiful". Being a little bit shocked, he explained: "In my country (Kuwait) it never rains". See - it's all relative...
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Then he'd find Vancouver the most beautiful place in the world in the Fall, Winter and Spring! :P About all it does here is rain, rain, rain... with the occasional dry break and on rare occasions a snow break.
Bit wrote: Seriously Unserious wrote:...I may joke and tease around a bit...

:shock: :oops:
:shock:

You mean you never noticed?! :P