Conflux II - What's this curse of the poltergeist?

Dead posts cluttering up the front page of certain non-RTC forums are kept here. Threads have the forum subject attached, except custom dungeon threads (which are obvious)
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Simon the Original

Conflux II - What's this curse of the poltergeist?

Post by Simon the Original »

Just started playing Conflux II.
Right at the beginning, before I've even got to where I can get any heroes, there is a fire pit thingy. When I step onto it, text appears saying "The Maleficent Guild". If I click on the picture on the wall here that looks like a round blobby thing, it acts like a mirror and I can resurrect a character called "The curse of the Poltergeist" - but this character only has 1 hit point and dies from simply walking into a wall. If I take this character, a "lucky coin" appears in the alcove behind me.

I can then click on the same picture up to 3 more times, allowing me to have a party of 4 poltergeist characters. Every new character resurrected results in more items appearing in the alcove behind me - a talisman, a bone doll and a scroll which says something I can't remember about the bone doll.

Obviously I can't play the game with four characters that die as soon as somebody breathes on them, but I have to take all four to get the bone doll and the scroll.

So what's this about? Is the idea that I use these characters to explore the first bit of the dungeon in some way before I get real champions - can I get rid of the poltergeists to replace them with real people?

Clues would be helpful here!

Simon
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

No clues, just let it be known this is for a super-hard challenge and some nice sub-quests once you've played the game with 'proper' champions... I've completed the game with a full cursed party.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You can play with fragile characters....you just have to play very, very carefully and craftily...
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

whatever the team you choose in conflux 2 for the first time, play very carefully :)
Simon the Original

Ah, right...

Post by Simon the Original »

Ok, so I'll play with ordinary champions.

I get a bit fed up with having to start every role playing game with a new party and train them up all over again. I wish somebody would invent a standard save game format for use with every future role playing game on the market so that characters from the end of any rpg can be used at the start of any other rpg.
"Real" role playing games like Dungeons and Dragons involve creating a character and sticking with them forevermore through however many games you play, training them up. I'd love it if computer rpg's adapted to the toughness of imported champions and I could use my characters forever. The same game format would have to have stat slots which could be kept but not used by any game that doesn't use that stat. Most rpgs have similar stats.

I dream of being able to play dungeon master games until my party is all archmaster everything. I know I can import my characters into the next game with RTC but dungeons like this require me to play with characters designed by the writer so that the quests work correctly.

Sigh.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

at least with conflux II you can gain levels quite quickly, and that the puzzles, mapping and cratures make even a tough party think twice in certain areas...
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I think the neophyte state is too often wrongly considered like a boring step towards mastery. On the contrary, the challenge with newbie characters is unique: with few ressources, (almost no magic, almost no weapons, almost no hit points) you must hone your finger skills and set up two or three winning strategies.

You cannot find the same challenge later; however, at least in conflux, if you didn't go to that hard school during the youth of your party, then your high levels won't be enough.

I tried to design the dungeon according to this point of view, and if the monsters hit hard in the first levels, they are also weak, so you don't need training IMHO, and levelling is quick anyway.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

indeed, i agree completely. The second you have the right weapons, or enough fighter/magic, lots of the physical challenge goes from the game.

In a similar vein, monster fights that become how much can you hack from the multiple hit point creature arent' as interestign as lower characters against low hp monsters but in a tight spot, or that require some strategy. Try two seperate knights, in a 3x3 room. ~ 30hp, try with a starting character like halk with a sword...that's one interesting fight!
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

I am starting with a cursed party now. Need to find a magic item to get them some mana... I was wondering, do they have their own special quest, like Halk, Gothmog etc?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yes, they have their own quest : )
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You have an item right there that can give mana very quickly if you use it on lower levels...
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

I noticed :). It comes in handy at the very bottom where the dragon is on the other side of the door. The multiplier must be pretty high down there. I've checked out the other side of the Emerald level where all the other quests begin but it doesn't seem to start there. I must do some more exploring
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You have already been where the cursed people need to go, you just don't realise it because you weren't in possession of the cursed party.

There will be obvious clues when you get close...they don't use the same set of stairs as the other endings...
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

I think I know where you mean. Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgivings indeed :?. I don't think they are powerful enough yet. Good thing I took Leif along too.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

exactly!

And lol, you cheat, you are using an old version! In the newest version you need to take a full party to access the cursed party ending. Don't' worry, I did it with leif too...soemthing about that guy makes him perfect for solo gaming in conflux
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

Well, they made it all the way through alive. Not sure what to do after the alter though
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

heh, it's the last puzzle...you'll curse zyx when you finally get it...
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

I really am stumped with this one
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Keep going...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

to quote ghostbusters:

"where do these stairs go?"
- "they go up!"
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

Very nice :evil:...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

zyx should give pin dolls of himself out to everyone who completes conflux, but i think he has too much fun making them into crude representations of us : )