I second the DM Java update!

This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chaos Awakes
Artisan

I second the DM Java update!

Post by Chaos Awakes »

I've just re-registered so Hi everyone. I posted a couple of posts in the last couple of days calling myself "Simon the original" and I designed the Double hard CSB dungeon so I'm back! (Evil laugh)

I second these new updates to DM Java. It'll be nice to have it going again, especially as I'm working on a big dungeon for DMJ so anything added to it will be a bonus!

When can be expect to see something?

Simon
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

As Alandale isnt' working on it anymore, then it really depends on someone new coming along, and changing the code and updating it. A few people ahve said they are doign such a thing or have started, but nothign has emerged as of yet...
Chaos Awakes
Artisan

Post by Chaos Awakes »

I was referring to the posts over the last couple of weeks in the "Dm2 Set for DMJava wanted" thread on this forum in with Wismerhill says that he is reworking the DMJava code and is thinking of making it Multiplayer.
He only said this on the 3rd of January. Not really much time for anything to "emerge" :)

Simon
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

ah, that one...
yes, have to see how it all goes really!
Wismerhill
Apprentice

Post by Wismerhill »

Hi,

Don't worry, I'm currently working on it HARD, almost everyday, at least 2 hours. It's just that I'm really refactoring the whole thing so it will take some time. The network aspect is already designed and I'll start implementing it when the refactoring will be done.

You can follow my progress as I commit everything on CVS on SF.net, here http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/tsudashi/dmj/ .

I'm currently separating the GUI and the game code and that is not an easy task, believe me. This way, it will be easier later to introduce multiplayer.
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

Hey Wisemerhill,

It doesn't look like anything has been updated on sourceforge.

So how is it going?
Wismerhilll

cyborg97

Post by Wismerhilll »

Hi,

It's going fine. I had a not very productive march month, because of personal issues, among them was World of Warcraft but there were also serious ones. But the april month was quite productive.

I agree I'm not updating my developer diary as often as I should. But, if you watch closely the CVS files, you'll see I commit new work nearly every week. Maybe I should put up a simple web site with progression bars for each major task.

The previous DMJava was hardcoded to work in single player only. It needs a whole rewrite to support n players. I've studied multiplayer networking articles and I think I've dig up a good design, close to what is done in multiplayer RTS games. Also, I've finally done a design to completely separate the game from it's GUI. It allows to add later a completely new client GUI, without touching anything in the game code. This way an OpenGL client could be done. It also easily permits to attach the client to something else that a characters party, like a monster for example.

I'm also in the process of designing a more intuitive editor. Say you are playing your dungeon, you hit F12 to pause the game. From this point on, you can walk freely in the dungeon, click on anything to see parameters and change them. Right-click on a wall to add writings or an alcove thanks to a contextual menu. You have a palette with monsters and items that you can drag-and-drop directly in the main dungeon view. Double-click on a monster to edit its properties. Change the script that governs its A.I. Hit F12 again and the game resumes so that you can test what you've just done. Hit space and you have a map view of the dungeon.

I'm right into the groundwork for all these features so I'm afraid I have nothing to show up right now. Maybe in a month or two. In the mean time, I would be happy to receive any suggestions from players and/or dungeon designers.
Wismerhill
Apprentice

Post by Wismerhill »

Sorry, wasn't properly logged it seems.
Wismerhill.
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

I'm still interested in someone making a set of items/monsters/walls from DM2 that work in DMJ. It's the next best thing to a DM2 port or emulation.

Post by Guest »

Hello Wismerhill good to see you're doing a rewrite, any progress these days?
Wismerhill
Apprentice

Post by Wismerhill »

Anonymous wrote:Hello Wismerhill good to see you're doing a rewrite, any progress these days?
Good progress currently. I hope to have a beta for the end of the year.
Wismerhill.