Demise: Rise of the Ku'tan

Got a favourite DM type game? Enjoy Eye of the Beholder? Adore Amberstar? Cherish Captive? Discuss these and more here!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Demise: Rise of the Ku'tan

Post by Tom Hatfield »

This is a little known dungeon crawler that has a loyal cult following. The website is below if you want to check it out. It breaks a lot of the rules of casual roleplaying/exploring, but it adheres to the achiever formula that made games like Diablo very popular, and it plays a little bit like DM. Personally, I don't even like the game, but I haven't been able to put it down. It has some mesmerizing, addictive quality that I don't really understand.

An expansion has been announced. It's supposed to be released very soon. I'm rather looking forward to it because it might improve the game such that my friends will actually play it with me. If anyone is interested, I could run a Demise server from home.

http://www.pharaoh-productions.com/demise/news.php
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

I`ve played Demise 3 years ago. I dont like this game too, because of several reasons:
1. 3d engine, wchich is nonsence imho for games in this style
2. strange system of fighting

but the maze itself is very, very big. Just imagine (I know it`s rather hard to do) that this big maze with its monsters etc. would release on CSBwin engine... the Demise maze with Demise monsters & items etc. on whole CSBwin game structure, after some fundamental changes of course.
Do you think it would be possible?
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Why some fundamental change? You have 64 32x32 'tiles' to play around with to create this maze, positioned how you will (side byy side, above or belowe the others, stitched together with up to 65,000 teleporters. Anything needed larger than this would not be supported I would have to conclude (every actuator code and parameter storage method would have to be upgraded, which already happened once to incorporate the 32 -> 64 level shift , and what other dungeon would use anything like this large a canvas)
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Demise is built on a great deal of randomization, and the mechanics are considerably more convoluted than Dungeon Master or any DM-esque game I've ever seen. Porting the dungeon to CSBWin would be fairly easy, but the feel would be completely different . . . which could be an improvement.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

bumped. it seems Demise is still alive. check it out
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Interesting. I thought the whole thing died quietly. I hope they redo the server from scratch so it doesn't eat 99 percent of the CPU.