Screwing around in 3ds max

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Screwing around in 3ds max

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I decided to play around with some HL2 textures and throw together a graphical sample of a simple RPG I'm thinking about developing. (My web page says basically the same thing word for word.) I'm not really looking for comments, but they're always welcome. It's a toss-up between this and a DM clone. I'm still trying to decide which one I'd like better. Hard to say when a demo might become available.

I know the character looks awkward. I deliberately tweaked the lighting so she looks super-imposed, like in a real game. (This was more trouble than it was worth, really.) She has no shadow because the matte/shadow material doesn't work like I expected; it cuts out parts of the scene behind it. She is about a foot too tall though, which I'll need to take into account for final render. This is just a sample scene, after all.

Converted to clicky (220 KB)

Those HL2 texture are gorgeous, don't you think? I'm going to have some fun with this one, DM or not. The model is from UT2003, of course.

I'm a real big fan of steampunk and techno-fantasy (not Final Fantasy, which I hate, but Arcanum is pretty sweet). Whatever I do, it's going to have this theme — which, of course, is what I'm trying to capture in this image. Was I successful? If you have any ideas I might be able to employ, please share! I'm very open-minded when it comes to games.
Last edited by Tom Hatfield on Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkon
Neophyte

Post by Darkon »

Big red x :(
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Yeah, I know. I don't have my own connection anymore, so my server is down most of the time. Sorry about that.
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

You have 3ds max? Would you be interested in taking some very samll snapshots of a model that I downloaded?

I'm making a plug-in for Escape Velocity Nova (www.ambrosiasw.com) that allows the player to fly in a DeLorean. I found the model but I cannot view it, and I need someone to take some overhead pictures of it at various angles and a set of shots with the model banking. If you're interested, I'll sendd you the model and the specifications for what I need.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Sure. Send it to convolution-3 (at) comcast (dot) net and I'll see what I can do.