Favorite game of all time

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ArchType
Novice

Favorite game of all time

Post by ArchType »

Hello. This is my first post.

Dungeon Master for the Atari ST is my favorite game of all time, tied with Gran Tourismo - PS/PS2. Half-Life2 - PC and Archon - Atari 400/800 being next.

Recently I created a thread on a forum for everyone to list thier favorite games of all time. After listing my own, I have been craving to play this game again.
I still have my Atari ST, Dungeon Master, and Chaos Strikes Back, but I have no clue if any of my old stuff works, and don't have room to hook all this up.

I would like to play Dungeon MasterII on my PC
I tried searching for it, but all I get is a bunch of misleading links.

Where can I download any Dungeon Master game?
I would love a Dungeon Master Clone with scrolling 3D also, but really want to play the real version of Skullkeep.I hope you guys can help! thanks alot!
Maybe you need to know my PC specs:
2.666 GHZ Celeron D
1024MB RAM
Windows XP home
Radeon 9250 256MB
SoundBlaster 24Bit external HD
- DM/Archon fan -
Real Life is too realistic! It's boring!
I am what happens when a problem child grows up.
ArchType
Novice

I am giving up. =(

Post by ArchType »

Well I've read everyone's threads and downloaded:
dm2 for Windows
DOSBox

I have to admit, I don't understand DOS much at all.

I can't even understand how to get DOSBox to do anything

Z:\>

? I dont understand how to run the game

help please, I just want to re-live some old memories.

How do I play dm2?

copy/paste?

My PC is:
emachines 2.6 Ghz Celeron D
1024 MB RAM
Windows XP home
ATI Radeon 9250 256MB
SoundBlaster external . MP3+
- DM/Archon fan -
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

you have to mount the hard drive/folder you want as a virtual drive

so for example, if your DM2 folder is c:\skulkeep, then you might type

then you would type mount c: c:\skulkeep

you owuld then have a virtual hard drive c: with the dm2 folder contents

to run the game, you would then just type 'dm2' and it would run - you may ned to look at the other threads again for the configuration that will let you play, like http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=23483

DOS commands useful - 'c:' etc will move to different drives, 'cd' changes directory (always use '\' for directory seperators), including 'cd..' to go back a level, 'dir' lists the directory, and ...well, that's all you need really!
ArchType
Novice

Getting somewhere

Post by ArchType »

thank you Beowuuf, I typed it in as you said, and although it said "invalid command", i clicked on the game icon in windowsXp and it started to run! It says "interplay", =D but then closes. =(
At least I am getting somewhere I think.
I have been reading everyones advice on setting up sound and am understanding that the sound setup is required for the game to run, but maybe deleting the interplay screen may work? I don't know. Any more advice specificaly? Thanks Beowuuf friend
- DM/Archon fan -

Post by Guest »

Thanks my friend. Everything you said finally sunk in. Everything works fine! Just as slow as my Atari ST =/

I guess thats the way things are. lol. It's highly playable though, and I can probably adjust some things to make it faster.

Thanks again for helping me out. It's like leading the blind. DOS? might as well be Japanese, becuase ???

@_@ talk to you later!
=)
Valderra
Artisan

Re: Getting somewhere

Post by Valderra »

ArchType wrote:thank you Beowuuf, I typed it in as you said, and although it said "invalid command", i clicked on the game icon in windowsXp and it started to run! It says "interplay", =D but then closes. =(
At least I am getting somewhere I think.
I have been reading everyones advice on setting up sound and am understanding that the sound setup is required for the game to run, but maybe deleting the interplay screen may work? I don't know. Any more advice specificaly? Thanks Beowuuf friend
The DOSbox is rather simple - once you know how to use it. I have Windows XP and it works fine.

It's best to keep your game in the C directory rather than a sub folder and give it a one-word name. This is what you do:

Double-click on Dosbox.exe
Type: mount c c:\nameofgamefolder - click "Return"
Type: c:
Type: dm2.bat - click "Return"

That is all. The game will start. All you have to make sure is that the last command is either a .bat or .exe file - or thereabouts. LOL

Good luck !! :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

glad you got it working, and apologies for puting 'mount c:' when it was 'mount c'
ArchType
Novice

Post by ArchType »

Anonymous wrote:Thanks my friend. Everything you said finally sunk in. Everything works fine! Just as slow as my Atari ST =/

I guess thats the way things are. lol. It's highly playable though, and I can probably adjust some things to make it faster.

Thanks again for helping me out. It's like leading the blind. DOS? might as well be Japanese, becuase ???

@_@ talk to you later!
=)
Hey cool, I got it to run full screen, and at 10000 cycles. ( i hope it doesn't hurt anything)

It runs perfectly fast now in full screen.

Using past knowlege, I've built a great team and have been having a great time.

Only problem i have left is that the sound only comes from left channel (1 speaker). but is not a big deal, I assume the game is mono.

Thanks for an AWESOME FORUM!
- DM/Archon fan -
Valderra
Artisan

Post by Valderra »

ArchType wrote:
Anonymous wrote: Only problem i have left is that the sound only comes from left channel (1 speaker). but is not a big deal, I assume the game is mono.
Speaking of sound: I only get the music but not the sound effects... Has anyone got any ideas what I can do?
ArchType
Novice

Sound Issues

Post by ArchType »

To correct myself, the sound works through both speakers, but the music only comes through the left channel. I think before I changed some of the DOSBox settings It was comming through the right channel only. Im too lazy at this point to fix my problem, but you may try differnt sound settings in your DOSBox config to fix yours
- DM/Archon fan -
Valderra
Artisan

Re: Sound Issues

Post by Valderra »

If I remember correctly, everything is set to Sound Blaster and all the other games have sound so I don't want to mess about with the configuration just for this one game.

Post by Guest »

Refering to DOSBox:

I would recomend this:

copy your current config to a backup folder
tamper with the config and see if you can get the sound to work. hell if it works great! your missing alot with no sound. If it doesnt work just delete the config you messed with and put the one you put in the backup folder back.

You may find that you get the sound to work and it still works for the other games so you wont have to revert.

If you look in the config you can see #blah blah. This is a note for you to understand how to set it correctly did you try sb1 and sb2 or sbpro, if you change something so simple you can easily change it back, also you can write down on paper what you have changed... go for it, thank me later becuase I can't see why it wouldn't work :wink:
ArchType
Novice

Post by ArchType »

sorry I posted as a guest.

BAH, I appologize Im not used to a forum allowing me to post without loggin in. :? seems this is going to be a bad habit problem. :roll:

Also I will try to start a new thread before changing the topic. sorry!

good luck with the configuration
- DM/Archon fan -
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

If you're using a non-public machine, why not check the "Remember me" box -- you don't need to worry about logging in again.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Apart from the apparent sound problems, is there any way installing the DOSbox thing could alter the configurations of the comp? If I were to get it downloaded, I wouldn't want other games to bugger up in some way.
Also, I presume other old DOS games would work in a DOSbox apart from just DM2?
/glances in the direction of wherever the Pagan disk is...
Artisan

Post by Valderra »

Ameena, since I have been told to get DOSbox for DM2, I have been able to play loads of old dos games on it - yes, it works great with old dos games. :wink:

And ArchType... I am not an expert when it comes to configuring programmes and don't want to mess about with it. I know what the sounds are like in DM2 - I have the Mega CD version (but can't play it anymore) so I know what I am missing. I think I will leave it because I don't like to mess around with the config. Wouldn't even have a clue what to change them to. Thanks anyway. :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, I just DLd DOSbox and installed it, but when I try to load it, the screen goes black and then I get a blue-screen error (some porblem with a file with loads of 0s in it)...then it goes black again but I have a mouse cursor. Then it comes up with another error or two (one of which is the "system is busy or unstable" one), Ctrl-Alt-Delete doesn't work, so I have to push the reset button.
So maybe I've installed it wrong or something, but it's not even running :(. Or maybe it doesn't work properly in Windows ME?
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Nothing works properly in Windows ME.... you really should upgrade, that's an awful version of Windows especially for games.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Never had any problem with anything else :P. Anyway, upgrade to what? XP is pants...everything in it is weird and my dad doesn't really know anything about how it works (therefore if it buggers up we don't know what to do).
Artisan

Post by Valderra »

I have to admit that I am not very comfortable with XP when it comes to reinstalling the OS. Too much hassle. BUT... I used to have ME, which was a pain in the butt. Then I got myself another laptop with XP and must say that it works like a charm. If it wasn't for the fact that I can't just reinstall the OS willy-nilly as I liked to do with my other OS's, I would say that XP is as close to perfect as it gets. Also, my computer has stopped freezing at every moment - something I always got with ME.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

XP is pants...everything in it is weird
LOL, yeah, there's a lot of strange stuff but the fact remains that it is the most stable version of Windows ever produced. Although that's not saying much...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

To Valderra - What's an OS?
To whoever - I don't think my dad is gonna get a new version of Windows, especially not XP since he doesn't know much about it. We don't have any problems with ME atm, apart from this DOSbox thing now, obviously. But surely DOSbox is made to run in all these versions of Windows, including ME? Surely there must be other people out there who've DLd it under Win ME and got it to work? Waaaaaaaaaaah :P
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Alright, it's not something we did wrong with DOSbox...I just tried installing a game which has worked before on this computer (and it's been installed/played tons of times before), and had the same error. I'll have to ask my dad about it tomorrow but he didn't seem to know what it was when it came up earlier.
He had to do the second reformat in a week the other day 'cautse my sister or her boyfriend fooked up the computer (both times) by managing to get a ton of spyware and stuff accidentally on the computer by going to various websites. Bah :P.
And does anyone know anything about this error btw? It comes up on the usual "blue screen of death" (my dad says that's the "official" techincal term for it...), preceded by the usual "Your computer is fooked, press Ctrl-Alt-Delete..." messages...

File name: VDD(03) + 00001816 Error: 00 : 0028 : C0231A0E

/shrug
/cry
:P
Artisan

Post by Valderra »

Ameena, I was just wondering. Since you are still running under ME, shouldn't you still have DOS in the system, and therefore don't need the DOSbox? XP is completely without DOS now and that's why the DOSbox is needed, to make the DOS games believe that they are running under DOS.
BTW, OS means: Operation System, i.e. Windows 98, ME, XP. :wink:
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

<pedant> OperaTING system </pedant>
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Windows ME is the worst version of Windows. EVER. I recommend upgrading to Windows 2000 which is the most stable version, or XP which is pretty good as well but takes up more system resources. Even downgrading to Windows 98 SE would be a better idea than staying stuck with ME ! And if you use Win98 then you don't need DOSBox since 98 has its own DOS !
2000 and XP have lots of extra features that can be pretty helpful to beginners though, so you should pick one of those 2. Depends on how powerful your computer is.
Valderra
Artisan

Post by Valderra »

Personally, I wouldn't recommend Win 2000 if you are into playing lots of PC games, which are often restricted to XP and don't play (well) on Windows 2000, which really is more for business people than home use.

And yes, ME really was a big pain from time to time. LOL But it got me through for a couple of years - it's not as if I couldn't use my computer anymore. It just was NOT the best OS ever invented. :wink:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

you still need DOSbox under win98 to play things under win98 though : )
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yes, ME does have a DOS prompt, but it doesn't work properly for playing most DOS games - some have worked (I've played Stonekeep and Magic Carpet 2 for example), but the really cool games that I want to play again (DM2, Pagan, LBA, etc) don't work...something to do with this DOS being a program in Windows, whereas before, Windows was a program in DOS (WIndows 3.1), so now it doesn't have the right memory or whatever to run these games. /sob
Anyway, the computer kind of fooked a bit last night and it turned out that DOSbox changed some file or something which meant the computer wouldn't run properly (would restart in Safe Mode, then restart with a "Windows protection error", then Safe Mode again, etc etc). Dad reinstalled Windows and I deleted DOSbox and it's fine now. Oh well, it would have been great to play all those old games again, but it seems I can't. Never mind...

D'oh - Whatever file got fooked up by DOSbox, reinstaling Windows hasn't fixed it - after reinstalling DK2 it still comes up with the same error...wtf :P
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Beo : Really ? Back in the days I used Win98, all I needed to run DM2 was a batch file restarting the computer in DOS mode before launching the game.

Valderra : I don't believe there are any gaming issues with 2000 compared to XP, since XP is based on the same "core" or "engine" as 2000 (To me XP is just a beginner-friendly, cosmetically enhanced version of 2000). All games recommended for XP should work fine with 2000, since 2000 supports DirectX 9 just like XP, whereas 98 doesn't.
2000 uses less system resources so it's a good choice if your PC is a little old. On the other hand, XP makes things easier when it comes to installing hardware : just plug in your USB thingy and it works. 2000 usually requires a little bit of setting up and installing drivers before things work, but it shouldn't be new to a hardcore 98/ME user !

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”