Favorite game of all time

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, i meant that you couldn't run dm2 using the 'ms-dos' shortcut, it crashes, you needed to restart the computer in DOS mode
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I don't see why they can't just make old DOS games work on the new computers...I mean, give new computers the ability to run them, rather than just, like, giving you the intro and then bombing out :P.
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Simply, because there's no money it.
Valderra
Artisan

Post by Valderra »

@ Florent: I am not a "hardcore 98/ME user, whatever you mean by that. LOL I went through just about every OS that came out but am not that good when it comes to "behind the scene" setups.

Anyway, regarding games on Windows 2000... I was actually referring to games that are not all that new and have not been made for XP and 2000. For example, one of my older games, Sim City 3000, says the requirements are for Win 95/98 - AND is XP compatible. There is no mention of Windows 2000. And I am pretty sure I read on some of the games' instructions that Win 2000 was not recommended for certain games. :wink:
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

LOL no offense intended ! Just saying that if you're used to installing hardware and software on 98 or ME, you won't see too much difference doing so on Win2K.

Don't know about older games, but I've been running 2000 for years now without any problems. What you're saying about 2000 not being recommended for some games is pretty surprising. Could you let me know what game it was ?
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Btw, just checked sc3000.com for Sim City 3000 system requirements, and 2000 seems to be OK :
Windows (PC) version

Windows 95/98/ME/XP/2000/NT4 (for NT4 be sure to apply the latest NT service pack)
Pentium 166 or equivalent
32MB RAM (64MB recommended + ample virtual memory)
150MB free hard drive space
4X CD-ROM drive
2MB video card (SimCity 3000 runs in 16-bit color)
DirectX compatible sound card
Pointer device (mouse, etc.)
(http://www.sc3000.com/knowledge/showart ... d.2,cid.28)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

originally when win 2000 first came out alot of games were very incompatible with it, but i am sure that stopped being an issue a while ago...i oculd be wrong : )
Valderra
Artisan

Post by Valderra »

beowuuf wrote:originally when win 2000 first came out alot of games were very incompatible with it, but i am sure that stopped being an issue a while ago...i oculd be wrong : )
Thank you. That is what I was referring to. And sorry Flo, no I don't know which game(s) they were off-hand. Over the years I looked at the back of so many games, I wouldn't know which ones they were.
I have (had) over a hundred PC games and looked at many more in the shops over the years. But if I ever find one that says it, I will be sure to let you know. :D

Oh... and my Sim City 3000, which is an old version, says it's for 95/98 and compatible with XP. :P
Valderra
Artisan

Post by Valderra »

OK, maybe I have to apologise. Maybe... LOL I just dug out an old game - Biosys - and looked at the specs.
It actually says that this game will only run on Win 95 or later versions like 98. And Biosys is not supported on PCs that use the Windows NT operating system.

I was probably thinking of NT when we were all talking about Windows 2000. Still... :lol:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

i think to start off there was the NT/2000 problem with games, a friend had to keep win98 for gamesplaying and win 2000 for everythign else : ) but i am sure it worked itsself out afterthe first year or two...
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Right, that makes sense !
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, after a Google search on the error I got trying to run games, I seem to have found out the problem with my comp - something to do with the graphics driver thingy, but unfortunately that's connected with Direct X and the version we have atm is the only version EQ runs with...so I have to wait till Dad does ANOTHER reformat of the drive, then hopefully other games will work :).
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

best games o.o hmm, thats rather tough, i guess i could make a list and what its on

PC Games (whether it came on CD, online or CSBuild)
1 : Runescape
2 : Dungeon Master
3 : Need For Speed underground 2
4 : The Elder Scrolls 3 - Morrowind
5 : Unreal Tournament 2004

Playstation 2
1 : Dynasty Warriors 4
2 : Gran Turismo 3
3 : Final Fantasy 7
4 : Final Fantasy 8
5 : Burnout 3

they might change soon, considering that im going to purchase Rome - Total War for PC and Mercenaries for Playstation 2 next week.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

From the first post, I never saw this answered to, so I'm a bit confused if maybe my reading isn't functioning properly. Sorry if I am reposting this.

Dungeon Master can be found at dmweb.free.fr by clicking Dungeon Master at the side and then downloads, but it's for MS-Dos. I believe teh site would be dmweb.free.fr/DMdownloads. Chaos strikes back can be found on the same page:dmweb.free.fr, but click Chaos Strikes Back not Dungeon Master. You can get it for PC by pressing Chaos Strikes Back for Windows and Linux at the top. This is half Dos still though.

Where can you get Dosbox? Thanks

Dungeon Master is one of my favorite games too from the Atari ST, and again now that I found it for PC. I think our ST started corrupting disks. It would give us bombs on the screen on the swoosh of FTL. I shoved Dungeon Master into the PC drive and it gave me weird characters. One file was a .¥_t file or something like that. I'm not looking for help on this topic, just chatting about it. It was discussed briefly in the first post.

seeya
I'm a boy, unlike my avatar.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Now I see what happened. Forgot to look at second page and that's where it posted. The first time I thought it didn't work, so I tried again. Sorry about the double.There is no x on those so I can't take them off. If someone sees an x there ,please take on off.
Thank you
See ya
I'm a boy, unlike my avatar.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Interesting thread in that almost no one except Sera said anything that has something to do with the topic. :wink: I guess I'll make an attempt to move the contents of this thread closer to its title, so here are my Top 10 lists for both computer- and videogames (though this is really hard for me to decide):

Computer Games:
1. Dungeon Master (Amiga/PC)
2. Doom/Doom 2 (PC)
3. Turrican 2 (Amiga)
4. The Secret of Monkey Island (Amiga)
5. Amberstar (Amiga)
6. TV Sports Basketball (Amiga)
7. Diablo 2 (PC)
8. Last Ninja 2 (C64)
9. M.U.L.E. (C64)
10. Last Ninja (C64)

Honorable mentions: Pool of Radiance (PC), Space Taxi (C64), It came from the desert (Amiga), Maniac Mansion (C64), Zak McKracken (C64), Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Amiga), The Lurking Horror (PC), The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Amiga)

Video Games:
1. Resident Evil 2 (PSX)
2. Final Fantasy 6 (SNES)
3. Resident Evil 4 (GCN)
4. Xenogears (PSX)
5. Resident Evil (PSX) (Yes, I am obsessed with the series)
6. Final Fantasy 7 (PSX) (I am obsessed with that series as well)
7. Super Metroid (SNES)
8. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
9. F-Zero (SNES)
10. Super Mario World (SNES)

Honorable mentions: Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES), Tomb Raider (PSX), Crazy Taxi (DC), Perfect Dark (N64), Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (PSX), Final Fantasy 9 (PSX), Street Figher 2 (SNES), Soul Edge (PSX)

Ok, seems I could have made a Top 20 for each... I just can't decide... One thing is certain, though: Dungeon Master is my all-time favourite, and this is very unlikely to change.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

ohhh nice idea : here are my 3 preferred games of all times (i don't play console games except with Mame emulator).
1. Dungeon Master (ST/Amiga)
2. Speedball 2 (ST/Amiga)
3. Severance : Blade of Darkness (PC)
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

1. Bane of the Cosmic Forge
2. Dungeon Master
3. Quake
4. Black Crypt
5. Pinball Fantasies (oh why won't you work on my Amiga emulator?!)
6. PGA tour golf (Amiga 1991 version)
7. Robin Hood (Amiga version)
8. Citadel (Acorn Electron)
9. Gods
10. Premier Manager (Amiga original)

Probably missed a few... Also Speedball, Populous, StarWars (ST version), Arcadians (Electron), EoB, Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker, BuggyBoy, Deluxe Galaga, and Thomas the Tank Engine. Ok, I lied about the last one, but I'm sure its a great game...
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Pinball Fantasies was great Paul! I also have fond memories of both Speedballs (though they were too hard for me) and Buggy Boy. Oh, those were the days...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I remember Gods being scarily difficult for some reason - can't remember why, was it strange game saves rules or something?

Also, great starting music - though Assassin for the Amiga had the coolest if you let the game run on *shakes dog from self*

Hmm, favourite games (no order):

1. Cannon Fodder
2. Pack-man
3. Lemmings
4. Half life
5. Dungeon Master
6. Chaos Engine
7. Another world / Flashback

Honourable mention to Worms, though really multi-player makes it fun. Probably forgotten a heap that I used to play religeously - agree HHGTTG was a great game too.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Weren't just ALL the games by the Bitmap Brothers really difficult? I remember quite an amount of desperation when playing Cadaver, and like I said, I found the Speedballs to be very hard, too. I can't really remember Gods, though. But I guess it can't be more difficult than Rick Dangerous 2...
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I spent ages on Speedball. I finally got pretty good, and even beat Perseus! I also smashed my joystick into pieces in frustration, but thats another story...

Gods was great, but yes was hard, and had that unique password/save thingy (I say unique, I think Chaos engine was similar). How about the Xenon games? Thank God for auto fire.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I never really got into the Xenon games because I always thought that horizontal shoot'em ups were better than vertical ones (though I don't know why this is so). I sort of enjoyed R-Type and Katakis, though I thought they were way to difficult, and I really liked the C64 version of X-Out. My favourite shoot'em up, however, has to be Apidya on the Amiga. Anyone remember that game where you controlled a wasp flying over a weadow, a pond and through a sewer? Great soundtrack as well by Chris Huelsbeck, the Grand Master of C64 and Amiga game music. I even wrote an eMail to him last year and got a personal reply. I am still very proud of that.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Yes, I remember Apidya very well. And Venus the Flytrap! R-Type was very hard but if you didn't die too early on you got some nice weapons.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Trantor, did you try Tyrian 2000? It's the best vertical shoot'em up I ever played. It even has a story and a background...
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

No, I have never even heard about it. What system is it on, and when did it come out?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hmm...some games from the Atari I remember playing/liking a lot (in no particular order)...

Dungeon Master (of course!)
Llamatron
Speedball 2
Cybernetix
Space Crusade
Magic Pockets
Monkey Island
Frontier Elite II
Joust (yes I know it was an arcade game but we had it on the Atari :P)

Oh gawd there was loads...those are what I can remember atm though...
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

llamatron? The Jeff Minter classic?!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

The very same! Weren't it just fantastic? :D Mutant Mandalbrot (sp?) on the level with the hamburgers...the toilet on level 28 that explodes into a bunch of bouncing poohs when you kill it...fantastic :D.
The sequel (Revenge of the Mutant Camels) wasn't as good...but then, sequels seldom are.
Y'know...somehow I thought mentioning Llamatron would get a reaction. It's just one of those funky games that you can't possibly not have heard of if you played any of the games you've all said you've liked :).

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”