Beowuuf's brilliant bargins

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, that's what i did...I estimated to the weight but also lowballed if the next weight category just seemed a little too high...assuming I would make it up in the bid.

One evil thing is where postage costs are deliberately too high to make money - since that's a) against the e-bay policy (since they don't get a cut of it, for one thing), and b) its just plain wrong!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I buy/trade a lot of hifi equipment. Units generally weigh say 10kgs and some people are charging 20-25 quid postage, when the unit may only be worth 50 quid. A lot remain unsold. People are beginning to boycott this sort of stuff, and even average postage prices get a lot less bids than someone who puts in a low p+p
Last edited by PaulH on Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I always test-pack and weigh all my items and put on the exact cost of postage after calculating using the Royal mail on-line calculator. I'm always honest about it and people love it -- I find people are willing to pay more postage on heavier items -- and well they should because that's what it costs. I may have lost the odd bid from time to time, but I never quote more than it costs -- if I sell a CD in a padded envelope I only ever quote 60p (the actual first class cost, though that was a year or so ago) -- not the £1-2 pounds that many people quote for CDs.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Not that I am planning on selling anything else on E-bay, but I would refund the difference if I got the packaging cost wrong ...even if it's just a cheque for a pound or less!

The trouble with the stuff I have is that I will take it into work to pack it (lots of nice boxes, etc) and go to the local post office close by. So wouldn't test-pack it without leaving everything at work...which would have been annoying, as I did get a request for extra pictures at one point!

The magic cards are an example of my packing price - it should hopefully be the right band from what I weighed, but especially at the price of the cards, I don't mind underquoting to the lower likely band so it looks nicer and absorbing the cost myself if needs be. Especailly since the buyer might want better than standard shipping, in which case that price would be arranged exactly later. LOL, we shall see if those cards even sell...I think not by the small amount of wtachers and lack of activity...
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

The best I saw - a blatant disregard for the rules and well, just plain stupidity (yeah, we not thought of THAT before) - was this fella who was selling bikes for 99p. With £199 p+p!

NB: Local pick ups not possible...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I would have to imagine Ebay being down on his head like a ton of Pain Rat droppings...which, quite frankly, I'm glad were never included in the DM game

Could be funny though
"What the heck left soemthing THAT size!"
- "I dunno...now, why didn't someone point them out before I stepped onto them?"
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Aren't they DSAs?!!!

JOKE - JOKE -JOKE!!!!

I have made a great DSA... it says, 'sorry, CSBWin has encountered a problem and has shut down.'

Sorry...

Actually, I AM getting some sense out of the implementation.
Now back to the topic... rat dung. Or was that your auction?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Honest Wuufy's Marvellous Magical Pain Rat Fertillizer - as used by all good farmers and politicians

DSA's are fine...you have a state, get in a state through a message that put you in a state, state the state you want the message to state that should be the state you get in, then massage the message and stop at the state stated. Stupendous.

Or something
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Thats the best explanation I have seen yet.

I am going to get shot for this...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, they have to get passed me to do that!

*Since I still owe you for the whole Chris Barrie running joke and I want first shot*
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I hope PaulS appreciates British humour...

Now, wheres my nuclear bunker?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

*Throws away the 'Worlds Deepest Pit' signpost* This way, this way...
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Worlds Deepest Pit? I have no comment on where that may be...
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Its near Barnsley.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Just re-listed the magic cardswith an obscene opening bid.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MESE:IT

Two watchers, but goodness knows if that will translate to anything!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Great description. Great pic. £70?!
BloodFromStone
Expert

Post by BloodFromStone »

I haven't played Magic in approximately one hundred million years. I used to play all the time, though.
(This is vaguly related to the topic, I swear.)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, you see I've not got onboard with all this 'price it low get sales' crap. If yiou price it low without a reserve then people will buy it low, becuase there are 1000000billionmillion magic entries. If you put a reserve, no one seems to bother to bid. That's my experience in all of the five lots I've put up, anyway : )

Eh, I have three watchers, if one puts in a last minute bit for just the £70, I will be happy : )
It's a good set! People who's stuff gets notced sell for way more than that, let me tell you!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I've noticed that people can be a bit weird on eBay with reserve price sales: if no-one puts a bid on it seems to put everyone else off from doing so -- but once you get the first bid the price can often rocket. It's like a person says to themselves 'This item isn't worth anything unless someone else wants it too." Which is pretty mad. It's either valuable to you or not.

Post by Guest »

People don't like to see others getting a bargain! We're a weird lot.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

LOL
Well, that principle helped me last time round, the final sellers defintely seemed to get pushed up higher than I know I owuld have bid for it . This time round I would welcome just a single bidder : )
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I'll have to start remembering to log in, or I'll never catch up on posts with you!

You see similar on TV: two people, who quite often know each, bidding like fury for an item. You'd think they would have a quiet word beforehand. Of course, may backfire
BloodFromStone
Expert

Post by BloodFromStone »

I refrain from bidding on reserved price auctions myself... I guess I just don't like the uncertainty of it. =P
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Whats to be uncertain about?! I make my mind up what something is worth before I bid. If its less than the reserve, I bid, if not, I don't!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I guess the problem is you may decide to give yourself a maximum bid, knowing you could still pull out and lower it later before bidding starts against you, whereas with a reserve you may find yourself pushed up to close to that maximum right away if the reserve price is high...right?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Yeah, I think I know what you mean, but I still only usually ever enter one amount and leave it. It is the best way!

PS I'll win an auction one day...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

WIN MINE! *all for Wuffy all for Wuufy*
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, I got a laaaaaaaaaaaast minute bid at my initial asking price *shrug* Dunno if it's a good price or not, all I know is that my room is now clean of stuff I don't need, and I have money in my account!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

My room is like Steptoe's back yard, full of electrical gear, tools, bikes, boxes and general crap. It drives my mother up the wall.
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

I should sell some stuff on ebay. I really have so much crap laying around...

Sometimes I sell art/commissions on ebay, but I still haven't finished the commissions from the last bout so I might want to hold off on doing that again. You artisty types might want to look into doing the same, if you like commissions... art practice and money in your pocket!