Notes to artists

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Notes to artists

Post by cowsmanaut »

I thought I would start this thread to talk about the creation of art and design. I will share some of what I have learned as well as links to tutorials that I have found. For those other artsits in here it might be cool if you wanted to share things you've found as well.

Now to start off some common things I've seen in drawings and 3D art alike:

Sense of scale. There often seems to be a lacking of this in a lot of artists work when starting out. when you create short and fat doors or buildings you can quickly lose scale.. especially when there is no reference images to show it's relative size. In order to get a sense of scale it's often needed to create objects that will help use recognise the size of an object. For instance if you are making a building, something like a human, or a cart, or tree can help you establish it's size. Trees may not always work because it could be assumed it's a sapling. However, just keeping in mind that having a recognised item can help greatly as it will let them have something they know the size of and from that can get an idea of the size of the main subject matter.

Saturation. This I see in even non amature work. There seems to be a habit of going more saturated than you need. Our brains appear to work oddly when picking our colours. Many people will assume they need a bright vibrant colour in order to carry across that it's that colour.. to be bold make a statement.. :P Not needed.. here's a link talking about colour perception. The point of this is to show that even perfect mid grey can appear to have colour to it under the right conditions. So working with low saturation can lead to nice results.. in addition you can use colours to give contrast but more on that later..

http://www.designmatrix.com/pl/cyberpl/cic.html

Attention to details. This is something often missed.. people will make things that are completely clean.. not a spec of dirt or dust.. this makes it look wrong. How often do you see something new and shiny? not often.. swords, armour, cars, etc.. they look more used and realistic when you have dirt. Now.. some people do this.. however laying down streaks of dirt just anywhere is also bad.. you need to think about where it should be.. what direction it should flow.. what colour should it be.. why does it exist there .. and how much of it should be there? This passes on to how is it used? think of a wall with water stains on it.. where do they come from? how long has this been happening? is there metal there? if so you need to show elements of that metal.. green for copper, black for nickle, red for iron.. or maybe the green is algy.. maybe it's always wet and so that grows on the wall here... now it its wet.. what do we know about pourus materials like stone? Well they get darker when they get wet.. and on and on.. this is what will make us believe in your work..

that should be enough to absorb for now.. I'll post more tips later and more links too.

moo
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

My advice to artists? Don't use Canson sketch or watercolor paper. I hate the stuff. I've yet to get a paper from them that I like. Also, cheap watercolors are fun because they're more opaque than standard watercolors. Prismacolor pencils are excellent if you can get your hands on them. And kneaded erasers can save your life.

You'd think I actually knew something about art, from the way I'm talking...
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

If you are doing Pencil crayon stuff it's best to use white bristol board. It's a great surface to hold and blend smoothly the colours so you get nice transitions. A note to the wise though.. blush pink in both prisma colour and Laurentien will bleach VERY quickly in the sunlight even when you use a spray on it.. you need to find a spray that is also a UV coating or it will turn white!! Like this stuff:
http://www.misterart.com/store/view.cfm ... &store=001

This happens to a lot of light colours containing red in them.. though interestingly others will fade but not simply vanish as does these.
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

That's really weird. I hadn't known that. I'll have to keep it in mind, as I use blush pink fairly frequently. Fortunately, my pictures don't go outside, but I'll have to be careful where the fun falls, and mention it to the people who've commissioned me to do colored pencil pics. Maybe I should invest in that stuff.

Oh - on the subject of things fading. Markers fade like crazy. I know they're all the rage right now, and everyone's all into their Copic markers (even though Tria is better!), but they fade very quickly and very completely. And I'm bad with them, so I have a grudge against them...
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

I pondered why my ink- and ball-pen drawings lost a bit of life the next day i watched at them.
Recently i realized : they simply dry out!

Anyway, really good that you started this thread cows!

check out this (german language, yet interesting) link: http://www.langeneggers.ch/Taeuschungen ... aeusch.htm

it´s about optical illusions. (size of lines, move mouse over some pictures to see effect, try to count etc.)
the last one is even dm specific: the black lines (the one in front and the one at the left have the same length)

(cows: just fixing a spelling mistake.. Don't want people to think I'm threatening you Zoom!!) ;)
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Damn you Zooooom ! My eyes just fell out !! :lol:
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Wooo -- the one with the four circular patterns in blue and yellow is particularly unsettling -- really seems as if it's moving!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

My mother just showed me a book of the origins of colours.

A yellow for instance was made of urine from cattle, by feeding cows with mango leaves.

Some emerald green eventually got out of use, because of poisonous ingredients.
I think I will take a look into that book soon. Just wanted to kind of "revive" this threaD.
Last edited by zoom on Sat May 07, 2005 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

thread. a threat is something bad.
"Threat: An expression of an intention to inflict pain, injury, evil, or punishment."

anyway, yes a lot of colours you don't want to know where it comes from. In fact many ingreedients in store bought pies you don't want to know a bout.. there is a preservative to keep it fresh that is derived from horse urine. :P

moo
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

THE optical illusion:
http://gprime.net/images/trippy/

This is NOT an animated gif. Stop moving your eyes and it will stop moving!

If after that, you're still convinced you hace a perfect, direct vision of reality... then you're hopeless!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

´@ cows. oh yeah. how embarassing! I know, but sometimes it just slides in.
I will try to improve that *big sigh*
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Something you ought to mention for digital artists: you don't have to put all the detail in your scene prior to rendering unless you plan to animate. For stills, you can add as much detail as you want during post. Game artists do this all the time (e.g., Planescape: Torment looked like crap before the 2D artists got their hands on it).
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

thought this could be interesting to some of you!

http://www.siggraph.org/education/mater ... sition.htm
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

time to revive this thread:
read about this man:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Loomis

He is already pushing the daisies and his books are not in print any more, found one reference of one book in abridged form..
anyway you can get his excellent books as pdf for free(and I guess legally )!

(I have one pdf that is not 100% correctly scanned for several pages are cut at the end and split on another page; the quality is fine apart from that.Still you want to read those,when you draw or paint alike, composition, balance, colour, shadows.. etc):

http://www.artcone.com/forums/andrew_lo ... t1772.html

check them out there, or just google about Andrew Loomis + Pdf.