"For pruning"

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

"For pruning"

Post by Gambit37 »

I created an empty forum called "For Pruning" at the bottom of the index page. The intention is to add a lot of the really old or worthless posts here, allow Mods/Admins to review them, and then delete them if it's agreed we don't want them.

I realise that it sometimes nice to have really old material retained so that we can go "Ooooh, remember that conversation?" but a lot of stuff rreally is rubbish and it's my belief we don't need it.

Anyone agree?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Yes. With yourself, myself and fuzzball posting we have destroyed most of the forum.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Actually, I was thinking more of the stuff from years back: old redundant posts from Ian's forum for example -- they applied to his forum, not this one.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

A lot of the really old posts that have been transferred over have hardly had any 'views' (some none) so yes it would be good to cull them. Of course from time to time odd ones are dredged back up, but a lot of the older stuff regarding the items, secrets etc are now covered in the encyclopaedia.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I wondered what it was for, sounds like a plan.

And I don't call it 'destroying the forum' I call it 'adding value' or 'creating character'
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

I think "old" is not a good criteria to delete posts.
I prefer to delete only posts that contain absolutely no information, or false information, OT posts (lots of them recently).
Moving the posts to the "for pruning" is a good idea to ensure we won't delete important but forgotten posts, like the one that finally explains the meaning of the "holy scroll" in CSB.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sorry, I deleted that one
BloodFromStone
Expert

Post by BloodFromStone »

'Destroying' is a pretty harsh word, after all. I'd prefer to call it something more passive, like 'slowly degrading'.