Question about bitmaps in new dungeon

Links to all custom dungeons. Also discussions about custom dungeons: tips and tricks, questions, ideas, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Pedro
Journeyman

Question about bitmaps in new dungeon

Post by Pedro »

Hello,

Would you, as dungeon players, be happy playing in custom dungeon with a bit modified wallset looking as below:

Modified:

Original:

The only diffrence beetwen walsets is that the first one is displayed with "TV Effect" - the effect of slightly blurred pixels as if you see it on TV. My intention was to imitate appearance of DM played on Atari or Amiga in old times.

The wallset itself is only the beginnig and the next step should be "upgrading" of all wall decorations and other elements (like stairs, door frames, etc.). The problem is that making that bitmaps takes a lot of time and I started to hesitate whether to continue this work or not. This is why I'd like to ask you what do you think of that bitmap upgrade? Would you prefer me to do a big and hard dungeon more quickly with classical DM bitmaps (+ also new bitmaps) or rather for a long time but with upgrade mentioned above?

Pedro
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I really don't see the point -- if you're investing time in making a wallset, do something new and original, or at least modify it in a way that actually looks different! A bit of blur will not make a single bit of diference to most players. Put your energies somewhere useful! :)
Pedro
Journeyman

Post by Pedro »

Thanks for the advice,

I have sentiment for original walls of DM and I rather don't want to create any new wallsets (at least much diffrent). Another reason is to not spoil an unique dungeon atmosphere with some overdone stuff. The point was to improve a bit traditional look (you know, 320x200 doesn't look nice on nowadays, hi-tech monitor screens) with a blur effect. I wasn't sure it would be worth of my effort (much time & little effect) so I asked you about the opinion.
Well, I give it up :)

Anyway, the idea could be implemented by George in the future RTC versions. DirectX lib. offers some functions for it.

Pedro
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

there's already a very little smoothing effect if you play in window mode :
SCREEN_MODE 960x600x24
FULLSCREEN NO

(i always play RTC into this mode)

but there's also an ANTI_ALIAS option that doesn't seem to do anything if it's ON or OFF... or maybe should i buy glasses ? :?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Anti Alias does work -- but it only interpolates pixels of everything EXCEPT walls and floor/ceiling...