I officially hate this game

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Simon
Artisan

I officially hate this game

Post by Simon »

Dungeon master, greatest game ever. CSB, most annoying game in the world. Nothing is logical about it. I hate it. I've tried thousands of times to complete it but I end up wandering around the same bits over and over and over, dying over and over to hordes of ever regenerating enemies, and falling constantly down invisible pits.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, I think that's pretty much what happened to the rest of us when we played it :). Never mind, keep trying...you'll get it in the end :). And I know what you mean about the invisible pits...often I would forget to keep an eye out for them and would fall down them too :P.
Artisan

Post by Simon »

I'm stuck in this room with these floating etherel eye monsters, that totally slaughter me. Trying to sidestep them results in falling down one of the crappy pits. I have no idea where to go, although I did manage last time to find a room filled with billions of worms and demons, which promptly massacred me. All the monsters seem to regen too fast.
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

Oh man, I was killing them for ages and ages with no end in sight, and LORD CHAOS just showed up!!!! WTF!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Congratulations, you have reached the hardest level in DM history! You might have noticed a lot of key locks and coin slots on the level. Try to activate them all, and you will construct a very powerful weapon against all those demons and worms. I suppose you have all the 4 Corbums? If yes, then you are not far from the end of the game.
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

No I have 1 corbum. I put keys/coins in all the locks I could find and some fields appeared, I figured maybe fireballs would come out and smite people, but they didn't.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Your idea is quite right, keep exploring more and try using a second key on a certain lock...

You also have the option of comnig back later when you have all 4 Corbums. That way, your characters will be stronger, have better equipment and survive more easily.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

YEs, imagine you suddenly walked onto level 13 with Chaos after you got your first RA key on level 3!

The game is logical, just non-linear. You have to explore more and get a sense of the dungeon, which is the exact opposite of DM. Find the areas of intersection, safety and you will start to be able to intelligently move and play : )
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

Alright. I did put several keys into one lock but I thought it was just sucking them up so I stopped and reloadede my save game in case I needed them.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i'm not very proud to tell you this, but i hated csb until i found a good walkthrough and followed it word by word. i completed csb and understood how the dungeon was designed.
now i restarted and completed the game several times using different ways, and it's really more fun than DM, trust me :)
Lubor Kolar
Artisan

Post by Lubor Kolar »

Last time I finished CSB on PocketPC and looked for walkthrough for one simple reason. I never knew how to open a pit blocking upper ROS path (although I finished CSB multiple times, even with single character). If anyone wonder how could I finish the game without getting into upper ROS path, I get there. But since I did not know how to open the pit, I made maps and found that if I descent a specific pit from the upper DAIN path (at least I remember now that was DAIN path), I got into the upper ROS path. And because I lost my old map and did not remember, which pit I had to descent, I used walkthrough to realize how to open that pit.
Simon, don't give up so easily, although this game is evil, it's worth to finish it.
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

I'm tired of all these keyholes that take infinite keys. I put keys in and it just sucks them up, and I never ever see any result. I've stopped bothering now.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Be careful when you play Conflux then...
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

If there are everhungry keyholes in Conflux, let me know, I'll fix these.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

No, I mean the feeling of bewilderment!

However it is damn easy to accidently make hungry keyholes, a bane of my design. And food etc...
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Can CSBuild help? Search for 'Hungry Keyhole'?
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

Went onto a square and walls appeared around me and I got devoured by invisible worms that I couldn't fireball. Guaranteed death or any way out? Like most of the game, no idea if you're supposed to continue or not.

I went into DAIN and ended up at KU somehow, it is impossible to get anywhere.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Like all CSB nasty but survivable - you couldn't see a way out...doesn't mean there wasn't one all the time (but don't look behind you for it!)
The area you were in had a chest, right? Or else I'm hinting at the wrong thing. If you survive that trap you can walk back to the start of NETA, which is a nice straightforward area to naviagte

There are lots of areas of intersection - you will probably find KU the most straightforward path though...just keepdoing down, and keep attacking anything that moves (unless this is where you got the first corbum from, of course)

A hint - the lowest levels of the dungeon have a (hidden) way back to the junction of ways.
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

I did KU every other path just lead me back to that god damn DDD room which has KU written on the wall.

I couldn't survive the trap, it got to the point when the only sound coming through my speakers was just a constant worm attack noise, sounded like I was being attacked by 5,000 of them. Without fireballs it's impossible, I was constantly hacking away, and using VI potions, and eventually it got to the point where I simply couldn't make the potions fast enough. I tried war cry too but that didn't help. Maybe if I use every single freeze box in the game I will have a chance.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

The DDD room you are talking about has actually more than one exit, ones with different inscriptions on the wall as well... They are not easy to find, but necessary to get on in the game.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ok, to be explicit, walk backwards. When you first fall the walls infront of you come up, and you are left with a wall behind you. That would be how the worms got in. You turned to face it and shut it in the wall (so no fireballs)
If you can restart before the attack, walk backwards quickly. There is a wat out, subtle or obvious, to rise back up to a Neta room

Yeah, the DDD is what makes CSB hellish. You have to go through the DDD each time to progress from

The general 'logic' of CSB - dont' read unless you want some general spoilers, which it sounds like you might want!
You have four paths, split into two. The first half has three areas generated randomly from leaving the junction of ways, all of which connect and lead you to an area where you get a unique key, then puts you into the DDD. The DDD is the junction, either directly or as a stop-over - to take you to the second part of the path. You need the key from the first to go on the second part. At the end of the second part is the corbum for that path, and as you saw then Chaos's level. Really, you only need to do Chaos's level when you have all four corbum's ready to destroy.
There is a nightmare of interconnectivity as you have found, but if you can find the ways in each path to lead abck to the junction of ways, you can use that as a rest stop, area to dump excess baggage until needed, and also start havign a way to consistenetly map.

Anyway, good luck with the current area...
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

I've got keys coming out of my ass, but no doors for them. I did just manage to unlock the one outside the DDD which rewarded me with some crappy useless treasure:(
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

You need to find keyholes for the Emerald Key, the Turquoise Key, and the Ruby Key. At the "Fighter charge" inscription, turn right and try to cross the pit there - you have to go there for all the other ways.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

YEah, there are lots of bonus keys - iron for small help, gold for bettre help of objects, onyx is reserved for really good stuff, and the keys of b do...gah, something....

The ones trantor listed, along with the solid key for Ku, are the uniqwue keys to progress. The doors are either passed or actually inside the DDD...usually you have to do something in the DDD to aid progression.
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

I found another corbum but it has a constant stream of fireballs hitting it, and I've tried a few times to get it but a pit always opens beneath me no matter how I time it.

Actually scrap that I used the slow down feature to do it.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, the trouble with neta is accidentally generating more fireballs for that end bit...

Well done, half there!
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

I did that worm trick, any idea why there were only 2 measely worms that died in 1 mon fireball outside the trap, whereas when I was in it I got attacked by hordes of them?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The square you land on generates worms, so if you are trapped spinning around in there for a while, you will keep generating them, and I guess they found their way in around you.
Lubor Kolar
Artisan

Post by Lubor Kolar »

Yes, this is end of the NETA path. Just cast anti-fire spell, prepare your mouse pointer to the place where alcove usually is then move by keyboard and get the corbum with mouse. You could make it!
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

I got to a bit in CSB called No fireballs. Somehow I managed to fight off a load of deth knights, then i got trapped for ages and quit. I wanna go back to it though, CSB is a massive challenge which i hope to complete someday.
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles