Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Phoenix
Expert

Re: Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Post by Phoenix »

MasterWuuf wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:56 am
Now I'm scratching my head, figuring I'm missing something important.
The scroll tells me the name of the gate but gives no 'seemingly' important info,
in regard to getting past the gates. :cry:
Actually, the name of the doors tells you everything. There are a set of scrolls in the Dwarven Forge that tell you about him and his specialty. Behind those doors is a game ending,
so don't go down the stairs at the end if you don't want to end the game.

Completing Soap & Water is necessary to explore the Apprentice level and taking on Xanathar. There is no game ending in this section, but if you don't complete it, you won't have access to a couple of locked spells, a great weapon, and Xanathar. You get a lot of points toward the competition on this level.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Phoenix wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:18 pm
Actually, the name of the doors tells you everything. There are a set of scrolls in the Dwarven Forge that tell you about him and his specialty. Behind those doors is a game ending,
so don't go down the stairs at the end if you don't want to end the game.
Unless the scrolls in the Dwarven Forge magically 'show up again' when I revisit the forge, I don't figure I'll ever recover them. Ha. (and I'm a hoarder). I'll go back to my safe place and sift through all the scrolls I have piled up there. Perhaps I'll notice what is needed.
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Glad I saved a game at my safe place. Found the correct scroll, hoarded away there.

The last room of creatures was much easier this time. I stayed back, blasting them, then resting.

It's been fun, but I'm happy to finish. How many other 'finish' spots are there?

Thanks for the help.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Excellent! I knew you could do it. You have freed the leader of the Council and killed the traitor.

In total, there are three normal endings, four guildmaster endings, and one ending for the Malficient guild. The Malficient guild ending is the ultimate in difficulty. There are two "death endings" (whole party dies if you go there and you don't escape immediately), one in the Cellar and the other in The Hells.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I'm going to go back to an earlier saved game and try to find that section
with the invaders about to break into the city.
That looked like a battle I wanted to try to win.

I'll probably go back and figure out that section with the dirty floor too.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

The Altar of the Assault is in the southern (Blackcrypt) section of the Crypt level.

Don't read this spoiler if you want to figure out Soap & Water on your own.
Spoiler
Soap & Water isn't hard, but it can be a little tedious. All of the fountains in this room unlock the VIEW spell. After you click on a fountain, you have about 7-10 seconds when the spell is active. So, the routine is click fountain, stand on a foor tile with footprints, cast LO VI EW. The footprints will disappear, and you can move to the next tile and repeat casting LO VI EW. When the spell times out you go back to a fountain and click it again. Repeat until there are no floor tiles with footprints. Near the entrance to the room is an eye button. If you press this button and there are still tiles with footprints, you will get a message to keep washing. Once you have cleaned all the footprint tiles, the closed door by the teleporter will open to an alcove with a scroll. When you take the scroll, you'll get an error message, which you can ignore, and the Energize Dead Spores spell will be unlocked. A wall in the Northwest corner of the room will also open allowing you acess to the rest of the Apprentice level. [\spoiler]
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Youngest son is home for the summer (third year of college). Guess what game he started playing? Ha.

I believe my own interest in Conflux has caught his attention. He'll be up late some nights.

Dare I say it? Conflux claims yet another life. :shock: :)
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

The captains quarters (the barracks) area:

Just before this spot, just a bit down the hall, there is a place with one door on each side of a statue.
The door to the left is an energy door. I can see two more doors beyond it.

I've finished the game, leaving many doors unopened, but these two doors have frustrated me for most of the game.
I would like to know if either of these two doors can be opened.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

In the prison area, the door with the grey lord behind it is un-openable. The lock in that area is pickable. At the other end of the hallway, one closed door is accessed from a pit on the Spiders level and, the other RA door, where you can see boots, it accessed on the other side.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Phoenix wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:54 pm In the prison area, the door with the grey lord behind it is un-openable. The lock in that area is pickable. At the other end of the hallway, one closed door is accessed from a pit on the Spiders level and, the other RA door, where you can see boots, it accessed on the other side.
The 'grey lord' door is not one of the doors I was referencing.
I can't remember if I even have a lock pick. Will multiple attempts at opening a locked door advance a character's ability to pick locks?

The two doors I was curious about are just before the barracks, on the right side as you come near that spot.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

MasterWuuf wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:32 am
The 'grey lord' door is not one of the doors I was referencing.
I can't remember if I even have a lock pick. Will multiple attempts at opening a locked door advance a character's ability to pick locks?

The two doors I was curious about are just before the barracks, on the right side as you come near that spot.
Re: lockpicks, No.

At the east end of the prison area facing north, there is a wooden door and a RA door behind which you can see some boots. These doors cannot be opened. All other doors except for the grey lord's RA door can be opened by some manner.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Phoenix wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:08 pm
MasterWuuf wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:32 am
At the east end of the prison area facing north, there is a wooden door and a RA door behind which you can see some boots. These doors cannot be opened. All other doors except for the grey lord's RA door can be opened by some manner.
Well that sure pinches my nose, and not in a nice way.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Why? There are a number of doors that are not openable. Many of them are in Moria. I don't open any of the Emerald doors, nor any of the gem doors in Moria except the brown gate. There are two doors in the Mines that I don't open so that I don't have to deal with wandering munchers.

There are also many doors/passages that only open if you have a certain champion in your party.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I guess I just don't like leaving behind a door that can not open. Ha.

I finished with three in my company, planning to pick different members to complete my party that might allow me to give me extra opportunities to try out more areas. Might even like to try out the special items/armors/weapons that were meant especially for certain characters.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Once you have put a few games under your belt with the other champions, you should try the Challenge. For the full Challenge, you need to take a single champion until you have unlocked the Guildmaster mirrors(Halk, Gothmog, Syra, and Mophus). The Guildmaster quests are fun and challenging. Having completed the Challenge multiple times, I like to complete all of the quests (except the Guildmaster quests of course) with a single guide and then add the Guildmasters to my party. Following this path means you'll need to train the Guildmasters, but it's possible.

The ultimate difficulty in Conflux is the Maleficient Guild quest. I don't know if anyone has completed it yet...
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Funny, I'm on top of a small mountain in the south of France enjoying the silent night and reading about your underground adventures. It's nice to connect in this unexpected way. Also, a small animal with fur just ran through my legs as I wrote this!

I don't remember much feedback about the special characters. If you try them, I would gladly hear how it felt.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

ZYX wrote: "Also, a small animal with fur just ran through my legs as I wrote this!"

That doesn't seem like much of a 'mountaintop' experience, friend. :shock:
Glad you were able to stop in, during your leisure time.

I believe, on my second try at Conflux, that I stuck with one champion until I had opened all the guild options (may have missed some options, since I now realize there's a section down the one set of stairs which I still haven't located).

The discussion boards will probably make coming back to Conflux more interesting. I remember starting over the first time. Figuring out the spells again was no pleasure trip, to be sure. Hard to believe how much junk, dust, flowers and stuff was lying all over the guild section when I checked my save games. I'm pleased that I actually finished this time around. Time permitting, I may try the 'challenge' part of this great game.
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Did I ever ask about the One Ring (I believe it's called that in Conflux)?
I put that ring in a safe place, after some comments from Phoenix. And so, there it sits, collecting dust.

Is there any real purpose for that ring. Is there a quest or possible place in the game, where the ring is a real benefit???
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

The One Ring is one of the seven funereal weapons in the Challenge. Its only important if you are playing the Challenge, where it is one point. I've never used it since it's cursed, so I don't know if it casts invisibility.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Phoenix said, "The One Ring is one of the seven funereal weapons in the Challenge. Its only important if you are playing the Challenge, where it is one point. I've never used it since it's cursed, so I don't know if it casts invisibility."

If I can remember, I'm going to take it to the EE place in the temple and try lifting the curse from it.
Have you ever tried?
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Yes, I have. It can't be uncursed. The only funereal weapon I use is the rapier, which doesn't affect stats.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Did anyone ever try to duplicate the Leviathon? Odd, I don't believe I ever saw the duplicator again, after finding it the first time.
I wish I had made a saved game at that point, so I could try it on a few special weapons.

If the Leviathon (sp?) lost any special powers, would it lose the terrible drain of strength every time you removed and replaced it?
If so, it would be a very good weapon.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

The weapon replicator can be found at the bottom of the path to the Sudden Death. The only problem with it is that it can only be used once.

There are many items that are meant for specific champions. Sonja can wield Leviathon with bonuses and without penalties. The crystal sword can damage anyone who tries to use it except Leyla.

You can replicate Leviathon, but it's just to heavy (6.5kg!) for my taste. Furx and Caliburn are the best weapons for your front row champions. Furx does amazing damage to any dragon.
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Thought I'd try and finish my game where I try and get all the competition points, I had gotten up to the DSA error at the footprint cleaning area. Paul graciously provided me with a fixed version of the dungeon without the bug so I can continue now :) although it's been a loooong time and it's hard to remember what I had and hadn't done... and I've forgotten so much about the dungeon.

@Phoenix: Just finished reading the last few pages here and had a couple of points:
- I had totally forgotten (or never knew) you could kill those grey lords, I never knew that funereal weapons were the key.
- Did you know you can skip using the two SAR keys to get to the Emerald Forest?
- I actually made a run through of the Maleficient guild, you can find it here http://dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/Conflux_Competition/. Not needing the SAR keys makes it a lot easier actually. Still long and difficult, health regenerates so slowly! I think it would be impossible actually using and training all four characters, I just used one.
- I saw your game there too, downloading the video at the moment :)
- Thanks for all the additions to the Wiki, very helpful!
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Re SAR keys:
I do now. I just completed a playthrough of the Maleficient guild, although there doesn't actually seem to be a game end... The game was long and brutal, but I managed to get to the stairs in the Emerald Forest. I had to rethink how I played Conflux, and use every trick I've learned to do it though. My party has 130 points for the Challenge, but I could still add a guildmaster with the Emerald of Fate. My party died so many times and consumed food constantly. I managed to get all four cursed souls to EE master before I took on the Forest.

Possible bugs:
Spoiler
When you use the bone doll to create a bone gollem the bone doll it drops looses its unique properties and text.

In the Emerald store, the bone doll will sing and additional items are added to the alcoves. The problem is one alcove is not an alcove but a coin slot for a fountain. Thus you can't get a Silver coin.
I'll be making some addtions and changes to the wiki base on what I learned soon.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Phoenix wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:50 pm The weapon replicator can be found at the bottom of the path to the Sudden Death. The only problem with it is that it can only be used once.

There are many items that are meant for specific champions. Sonja can wield Leviathon with bonuses and without penalties. The crystal sword can damage anyone who tries to use it except Leyla.

You can replicate Leviathon, but it's just to heavy (6.5kg!) for my taste. Furx and Caliburn are the best weapons for your front row champions. Furx does amazing damage to any dragon.
I don't believe I have come across the Crystal Sword. Where is it located?
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

The crystal sword is found in the Clockwork Knights maze. The entrance to the Clockwork Knights is in the Dragon's Lair. A single champion can access the Dragon's Lair after solving two riddles in Moria. If you have four champions, you can access the Dragon's Lair via the Green Nightmare and down the stairs past the guildmaster quests.

The names for all these places come from the Hint Oracle, which is found on the Conflux start screen.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Antman wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:14 am

- I actually made a run through of the Maleficient guild, you can find it here http://dianneandpaul.net/CSBwin/Conflux_Competition/. Not needing the SAR keys makes it a lot easier actually. Still long and difficult, health regenerates so slowly! I think it would be impossible actually using and training all four characters, I just used one.
Antman, I just watched your playthrough. You're version of Conflux is much different from the current version. The only issue I had with it was I couldn't see much due to lighting for the beginning. I'm amazed that you did the whole thing naked! LOL. You are also braver than I am when it comes the Spiders level. If you had advanced your champion to Adept priest, the Bone Doll adds a 'banish' option. It's also obvious that Zyx increased the difficulty level and added more monsters. It also looks like Zyx removed the 'invoke' option for the Bone Doll as it still wasn't an option at EE Master priest.

I just re-loaded my game, followed your path, and actually reached the ending for the Guild(I previously didn't go up far enough).

Paul, when I watched Antman's playthrough on 3X, I found the sound wasn't synced to the video. Would repackaging it with a newer CSBwin fix this or does it need to be run in that small window?
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Would repackaging it with a newer CSBwin fix this
I doubt a newer CSBwin would work with his playfile.log.
We could try.

Firstly, however.......I just downloaded it, played the
"Play.bat" file, selected Menu/Volume/Attempt using DirectX,
selected Menu/Misc/size x3, and all seemed perfectly synchronized.
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

I was very surprised about being able to save the SAR keys, I think someone else discovered this waaay back in this thread.
Phoenix wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:13 pm I just completed a playthrough of the Maleficient guild
Cool, do you have a recording of your game? I'd like to see how you tackled it with four characters! Training them all to that high level must have been challenging. Re playing naked, haha I don't think it was intentional, maybe I was trying to keep any weight down to an absolute minimum. Hmm I don't remember seeing the 'banish' option, is it useful?

Yes I played my Maleficient game quite a while ago, possibly one of the early WIP versions or even earlier. I think Zyx watched it then and changed up some things, for instance you can't telefrag monsters at the Altar or Rose anymore... I remember being stumped at the Maleficient ending but Led Zeppelin guided me to the end.

FYI, I haven't had any troubles with sound synchronization in the playback.