Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Re: Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Post by Paul Stevens »

Just for fun, I downloaded Kodi for windows and it can play the video OK.
So that's three out of four (if you count Windows Media Player as one).
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

By 'friend' area, do you mean "knock friend and enter"? If so, that's the entrance to Moria. You just need to bash the door open.

Stone mushrooms will give you a temporary acid(LSD) trip when you eat one. If you place one on the ground and leave it for a while, when you come back you will find dust(dead mushroom spores) and a new mushroom in a different place. This effect is used for one puzzle so don't leave them there unintentionaly or it will inhibit that puzzle from working. Dead mushroom spores can be 'ground' with a boulder to produce saltpetre(alchemy component).

Skullseeds can be eaten as well, but provide little nutrition. Skullseeds are used as a material component for some spells and a key for one puzzle. Snapdragons turn into skullseeds as they age/grow.

Snapdragons can be used in alchemy potions as well as eaten. Try eating a few and check your stats.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Paul Stevens wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:35 am
Tried to open your video, Paul.
Perhaps 18-1/2 hours overwhelmed it.
Mr. Gates may not approve of such long movies.

FOCL (Falling Off Chair Laughing). Woke up a bit early, since I'm free today. Glad I didn't have a mouthful of hot coffee when I read this.
I think all good movies should be this long...as long as they include at least one BATHROOM BREAK. Anyone remember those old movies that had an 'intermission' with long music compositions in the middle? O K L A H O M A ! ! ! VIS: George Lucas releases the 'uncut and extended' version of every Star Wars episode. If you had enough popcorn and beverage to go with it? Yeah, one can only dream!

Anyway, back on point. When I went to your site, it didn't allow me to download. It was like it opened a small script file.
I may try downloading a couple of your other offerings, just to see if it's something I'm missing. I usually download a file, then open it at my convenience on my computer. I'll try again.
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Phoenix wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:48 am Stone mushrooms ... If you place one on the ground and leave it for a while, when you come back you will find dust(dead mushroom spores) and a new mushroom in a different place. This effect is used for one puzzle so don't leave them there unintentionaly or it will inhibit that puzzle from working.

Dead mushroom spores can be 'ground' with a boulder to produce saltpetre(alchemy component).
The area with the puzzle involving dust: Could you suggest about where this might be? Dust, by now, seems to be almost everywhere. I don't care to do that much housecleaning, unless it is absolutely necessary.

Alchemy: I've tried to figure out how to make a potion, or whatever alchemy suggests in this game, to no avail. I may be using useless components, or it may be I have no clue if I need to hold a flask in my active hand and something else in my non-active hand.

I haven't sought out any hint spots (hoping you don't mind me relying on a few of you folks), since I'd be tempted to read everything and simply be playing to reach the next hint area in the game. That can take the surprise factor out of a game, to the point that the game is no fun. Remember when you rounded that corner in DM, the first time through, and the two mummies made that 'cat in the dark' screech? That's the feeling that is totally lost, if a person is relying on spoilers before making the initial attempt in total 'blissful' ignorance.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

When I went to your site, it didn't allow me to download.
Perhaps your browser does not recognize the ".mp4" extension.
I think most browsers allow you to 'right-click' on the URL and then
"save the content" to your local disk drive.

I don't think that there is any way to play the movie with your browser.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Thanks for that insight. I have access to a couple of browsers. I'll try them and see if it helps.

RE: Bashing down doors. I (finally) figured out that my weapons were broken. Ha. A one-legged man in a foot-stomping contest. Now I have to figure out how to repair them at some forge. At least all my 'pounding' on all those doors must have scared off some of the beasties.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

The puzzle is located below the Apprentice level. Unfortunately, you need to do a lot of work to get there. You'll need to find 4 emeralds and 4 rubies before you can even open a door on the Emerald level.

Alchemy in Conflux is just as you have stated. An object in each hand and a new action will be available to combine them. The first Alchemy scroll in the Priest guild calls for a flask in one hand and a chewer pod in the other. Use the 'press out' action to make Juice. Drinking juice will increase your vitality by one and in some cases cure disease.

re: broken weapons
In one game, I got Gando to PAL master fighter becuase I had been wandering around fighting with a broken Caliburn. Rusters are the primary weapon breakers, so it's best to fireball/poison them from a distance. Broken weapons can be repaired in the Dwarven Forges.
Spoiler
The entrance to the forges can be found in the Sewers.[\spoiler]
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I haven't seen a ruby yet, so I have a ways to go before addressing whatever puzzle you mean.

Gando to PAL master in fighter: Did he have bulgy muscles? I'd laugh at a picture of Boris with bulgy muscles, to be sure.

Entrance to the forges: I've been pounding (also fire blasting) on that door to the forges, every time I get near it. I'm using simitars, so I'm hoping the 'chop' command will still do what an axe or sword will do.

The sewers, by the way, is not my very most favorite level. At this point, my favorite spot is that trapdoor in the spider section. ZYX, if you ever see this, I like getting to pick a shortcut to so many different locations. Great part of the game.

Finally checked out the DEPOSITORY. Skinny dudes with a bad hair day. First time I've ever seen them, so life is good.

P.S. I didn't save the game before making the 'trade' for the specialized glove. It was already broken! Burned again, burned again, wahh-wahh-wahh.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Gando starts off kind of weak stamina and strengthwise, but he's a powerhouse once he's at master levels. Gando at PAL master fighter can have 77 for strength (without powertowers).

The doors to the forges are indestructible.

Yeah the Sewers can be tough. I typically enter the Sewers from the Iron Temple, this drops you into the Flood area. From there, I'll fight the mudman for a monk staff and visit the Haven of Meditation for a vorple blade. Going north from that area leads to a wall with a crack at the bottom. To the west is Pit D. That crack opens and closes Pit D. To the east is a spitter tree and a passage to the eastern part of the Sewers. There is a monster barrier right next to that tree, so as long as you leave that spitter tree alive it will prevent the swarm of giant leeches from entering that section and overwhelming your party. Use EE posion clouds to clear out the giant leaches then explore that area.

The "skinny dudes" are gimlets. They like to pick up objects and throw them at your party.

The sign lies. The gauntlets are broken from the start.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Phoenix wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:48 am By 'friend' area, do you mean "knock friend and enter"? If so, that's the entrance to Moria. You just need to bash the door open.
I found myself at this place again. Can this door definitely be bashed in? I'm using scimitars, bashing and bashing. Just making sure it doesn't take a 'trusty' axe, which in this case is broken.

I also met a bald guy with a robe, who keeps shooting sparks from his hand. Doesn't do much damage, but also seems to have as many hit points as a stone golem. Is this Lord Chaos' younger brother?
I don't trust his smile. He doesn't seem the 'friendly' type.
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Another confusion arises...

The nightmare came. I was able to kill the Forbidden Planet Creature's little brother.
I grabbed the vorpal blade from the wall, slapping myself on the back for the good fortune, only to realize I couldn't seem to get out without picking up the necklace in the middle of the room. Don't mind the spare necklace, but is there any way to keep the vorpal blade when I pick up the necklace, finding myself transported to the sewers?
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Hmmm... I'm not sure if you are really at the entry to Moria, because there is no other exit from that area than through that door. Some doors can only be easily bashed by Leif or a champion with strength > 60. If you select the hint oracle and load your save game, what information does it list?

Sounds like you might have run into Solune, the Dark Councilor. You don't want to deal with him until you have the horn of fright/branch of courage and fear and the unique mace of order(attacks groups). He's immune to spells and weapons.

The vorple blade from the nightmare is always removed after you kill the Feyr and take the helion.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I figured I'd be back to that door eventually, so I went on about my business.
I have the Horn of Fear. If I run into Solune again, I'll try it.
My three guys have 57, 53 and 45 on their strength levels. One or two more Fighter jumps should beef them up a bit.

I did manage to find the wall that closed that pit in the sewers, giving me easy access to get back to the guilds if I'm in that area. Also found three waterskins in one place. You can bet I saved the game at that point. Ha. Now, where'd I put my meds? I fear I'm enjoying this far too much.

I fear the Ying/Yang (or whatever) scroll is lost.

The Dwarven Forges still allude me. I've wandered all over the sewers.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

You'll also need that mace of order.

The scroll isn't important, it's just an item of reference. It was in the alcove next to the EE blessing.

The wall next to that pit in the sewers should read "Pit D". You want to explore to the east where the giant slugs are. Look for a hidden switch there.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Went back to the Pit D section in the sewers. I headed east and tapped every wall. I found a number of rectangular switches on walls, making sure all were depressed (which may be why I'm still scratching my head). I have already found the stairs down to the next level in this eastern area, so I figure that's not what you meant.

I did find another emerald key, which I added to my grocery cart.

As a side issue, I already let all the slugs in earlier, so they aren't a problem. They must stop regenerating after a certain amount of time.
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I'm also going to have to find at least one more monk staff, so I can get to the armored guy and the mace of order there, just so you know. Seems staffs are in an area I must keep missing.

I have three hellion necklaces. Are they of any use? I've placed a number of necklaces on my heroes. I have only seen a change in stats with a couple of them.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Spoiler
If you've found and pressed the right button, then pits should have opened up in this area.
Helions have a use later in the game if you try to take on Death(not recommended).
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Jumped down some holes and found some stuff. Leviathon (good weapon, but tends to draw a bit of strength, to begin with. ha) It made short work of that 'friend' door. One shot and it opened up. I wonder if you have to reach a certain strength level to get through that door?

I'll probably try it out on some of the doors I couldn't get to cooperate with me earlier.

Found the Caliburn. Another good weapon.

Also found another mace (sorry about the monk staff 'oops' comment earlier), so I now have a mace of order.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Congratulations, you found the old road to Moria. As I stated ealier, many bashable doors require a strength >= 60. Some doors can be only be bashed with an axe or fireball. While it's not strictly necessary, Conflux really encourages you to clear out each level before going deeper. It's not that it can't be done, but it is very much eaiser if you do. The Spiders level is an exception. I don't recommend taking on that level until you have multiple flasks and at least 500 in health.

Only Sonja is immune to Leviathon's effects. Caliburn is one of the three best weapons in Conflux. The mace of order that you've found is an ordinary one. There is a unique one in the Sewers that you really need. It's broken when you find it. It's important to get your champions to artisan priest as quickly as possible to be able to identify "unique" items.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

As much time as I've spent in the sewers, it seems incredible that I haven't come across that mace of order. I'll try to return and trudge around some more.

I've killed at least four hundred fifty-eleven spiders (intentional pun), fighting off webs, trying hard to blast them before they get close enough to stop my fire blasts. I gave up trying to poison them (too much time involved). More fun blasting their legs off.

As long as I don't remove Leviathon (keep forgetting and looking in bags for stuff), it's a great weapon.

Two of my heroes are second level master priests. The third one is third level master.

I have three flasks now, so that's helping. Haven't decided who I'll pick for my fourth hero. Three seems to be working pretty good. I guess a fourth could help share the burden, plus add more spell power and speed. Did I understand right, or can a person get rid of and replace one hero in Conflux 3?
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Once you champions reach the master levels, you can explore Conflux almost much like any other dungeon. Conflux is the only dungeon that I've played that I've consistantly reached MON master wizard without trying. When playing with a single champion, I've been reaching PAL master fighter.

There are only 5 flasks total in the regular section of Conflux. You can make a flask with alchemy to bring your total to 6, but the only other flasks are in the ancient alchemy lab in Halk's quest. There is a grey lord with one, but he's only acessable if you finish Gothmog or Halk's quest.

It's more of a swap then a get rid of. If a champion looks into Gaze of Fate emerald, they get sucked into it allowing you to add another champion. It can only be used once this way. If you use it again it just swaps out that champion with the first champion to use the stone.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

It seems that there are a number of spots which, in my ignorance of what to do, leave a person stranded.

The 'dust on the floor' puzzle is one of those places. I opened the door from a distance, even throwing items through the open door (left and right side, just to be sure). However, walking to the spot with two 'eyes' seems the end of the road. And he keeps laughing at me (how rude).

A second one is the room (emerald key) with three golems, plus a fourth one after touching the monolith.

Side Note: With my front guys at higher ninja levels, and a couple of health potions ready, the golems seem much easier to defeat than in DM. I wonder if I ever tried fist fighting the golems in DM? Hmmm, I may go back and try it out sometime.

Anyway, on the left side of the room, there's an alcove with a gem of ages, empty waterskin and a bag of goodies in an alcove. Can a person leave that spot? Tried a number of things but always end up restarting the game.

I really don't see much of a need to give up my coins (don't have enough jewels yet) for most of the things in the room that reminds me of a great room in original DM. And 12 coins for one jewel? At least McDonalds promises change back. However, that shield of Sar is an interesting item. If it's in your active hand, it switches to the inactive hand when you use the block option. I haven't decided what I want from that room, so I'm leaving it alone until I make up my mind, or have enough extra stuff to get everything, I guess.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Solune's trap is controlled by dust, as in you can't have any in your inventory. Ashes can be eaten, but they will reduce your water level. If you have any specialty dust that you want to keep, you should drop it before going into that hallway.

Those golems are weak. Only the power-golem you fought from the monolith has any real health.
As for escaping the labratory trap, showing the right object to the eye will release you. I'm sure you can summon the right object if you put your mana to it.

Nothing in the Emerald Store is essential, but you'll want to spend a silver to activate the teleporter there. Four emerald and four rubies are necessary to open deeper access to the Emerald level and especially the Apprentice level.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I've been giving thought to the 'dust' trap, already deciding to make sure I didn't have any dust (plain or specialty/copper-colored) in my inventory the next time I returned.

The one-silver teleporter doesn't teleport very far, but you still think it's important? I'll take the advice of a friend (I LIKE my silvers and might want to save them for Christmas presents).

I think I mentioned the SAR shield. Interesting item. Not worth getting, in your opinion? I like the 'hide' feature, plus the 'block' automatically slips it into your inactive hand, swapping the weapon to the active hand. Hadn't noticed that before (please tell me I didn't miss such a thing in DM???)

The large number of holes, eyes, etc. have been one of the more frustrating things for me in Conflux (sorry ZYX, my appreciation for you is top-shelf, but I have whined to myself a few times). I've spent too much time, stopping at these places, trying almost anything in my inventory to see if anything happens. Ha. Just occurred to me that ZYX may have done this...just for the occasional MasterWuff kind of person. If so, I yield to your 'other-earthly' intellect, ZYX.

I've found some emeralds, but alas, only one ruby. Any suggestions about where they might be dug up?

Figured out a working answer to the four dust alcoves. Those antmen are tougher than the guy on the new movie. Finally put on the best armor available (I've always opted for very little armor, carrying huge amounts of junk around with me), armed my gang with a bunch of firespores, intending to toss spores at them as fast as possible. Saved the game before approaching the counselor (yeah, can't save the game in the middle of this endeavor). I only kept the scepter of LYF and the weapon. Escaped with all three characters alive. I'll try again, hoping to wipe out the entire ant-family and see if there's anything worth seeing in that area, but at least I got through. Toughest fight, so far.
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

The teleporter gives you easier access to the Officer's Canteen without having to deal with a scorpion and the vexirks that are summoned each time you exit the Canteen.

There are dusts and there are powders. Many dusts are edible, while powders are poison.

I also try to save as many coins, keys and gems as possible. I don't open the majority of the emerald and gold locks. Most of the time it's just not neccessary.

That shield ability is unique to Conflux. Halk, Mophus and Nabi all have a specialty shield that I equip them with if I have them in my party, but I generally don't use shields with other champions. My inactive hand will typically have a compass, the eternal torch, or in most cases a rock. I've found that if you have a rock in your inactive hand, it's typically the first thing that a giggler or leprachaun will take. Conflux is very different from CSB/DM in that theives can steal any item from any where. I've had a giggler steal a sword from my active hand!

As for rubies, where did you get your existing ruby? There's one with the Dwarven treasure and just down the hall from the Emerald store is one with the gem scholems. There's a bag near Solune with one. There are four in Moria. If you want a challenge, there's one in the White Chambers of the Council and one in the Altar of the Assault. You can buy one in the Emerald store for four chalcedonies and four sapphires, but I think that's too expensive.

I'm a little confused here. You seem to be describing the Trial, but there are no antmen there.
Congratulations for surviving the Trial.

Which armor are you refering to? I've found that the best armor in DM/CSB and Conflux is the flamebain. Mophus can wear the Holy armor and Halk can use the Dragon and the Darc armor.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

RE: Antmen.
When I was able to place the four dusts/ashes in the four alcoves, a hole opened in the floor. I figure that's the only way out (didn't actually investigate). When I drop down that hole, I am surrounded by antmen. Perhaps the experience is different, depending on a number of things that may happen prior to entering the 4-alcove room?

The entrance to the dwarven forges still alludes me, in spite of the time I've spent wandering around the sewers (especially near the pit I closed, which I'm hoping isn't the pit you wanted me to climb into).

RE: Armor.
I was mostly interested in regular armor's actual protection. Is the protection much better, if the armor is heavier? As a side note: I've already checked the jump in fire protection, when wearing the flamebain. The fire protection won't do anything against the furious onslaught of the Antmen Brute Squads (Princess Bride reference), however.

P.S. Looking forward to eventually destroying all the Antmen in that one room, then trying out my new Glaive. Slash and Parry. Will those up my Ninja stats or my Fighter stats? New toy, new toy. Oh, and I hope my other new toy (Sceptre of LYF) doesn't fade with use. Always disappointing when that happens. And at least one storm ring lasted for only one lightning bolt. Why am I made to suffer?!?
"Wuuf's big brother"
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

I've been traveling around with a couple of special magic purses, as well as a few normal ones .
I finally took the time to check them out. Hey! Freebies! I am so smart. SMRT...er, I mean SMART.

The Eckhart (sp?) necklace, Gem of Ages necklace, etc.. Do these do anything? Should I be wearing them? I'm hoarding the hellion necklaces, in case I end up needing them for the special event you mentioned earlier.

Can the 'cursed' items be fixed?
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Ahh, I see now. Those aren't antmen, those are cog knights. Antmen drop clubs, cog knights drop cursed spiked maces and rust. Unfortunately they only appear if you get the dust of fate puzzle wrong.

re forges:

No, dropping into Pit D is typically instant death for your party.
Spoiler
Ok, work your way back to Pit D then go east where the giant leeches were. At the south end of this area is a spitter tree. Kill the tree and there's a button behind it. The button opens three pits to the north. Explore all three pits. Two for goodies and one drops you into the dwarven forge.
Re armor:
Flamebain is as strong as mithril, but has fire protection too. Heavy armor is better protection, but unless you're using Halk, the weight kills your carrying capacity. I prefer elven boots for the boost in carrying capacity. Once you equip Mophus with the complete Holy armor set and get him to a high master priest level, he can awaken his armor and heal everyone in your party with one spell. Halk, with the Dragon armor, can awaken his armor and cast fireballs in every direction at once.

Glaive:
Spoiler
You're really not supposed to take that. You're supposed to leave the crown and the glaive in the alcove( you can take the bag and scrolls if you want) and only take the Scepter.
If you do this and get the right dusts in the alcove, when you drop down the pit there will be no monsters and you'll get a bunch of goodies.
There are specialty puses for GOR, SAR and silver coins, one for emeralds, one for sapphires, and one for iron keys. Only 30 items can be placed in each purse.

Cursed items can be uncursed with the EE blessing in the Iron Temple.

The ekkhard cross is supposed to repell undead, but I've never seen it work. The gem of ages will increase the time light spells last.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Cog Knights. They also dropped cursed basinets or helmets. Great additions to the game. Tough and fast. Do a lot of damage too.

I stumble onto the city under siege. Of course I killed all the good citizens and died fighting a legion of not-so-nice invaders. Was holding my ground but should have drawn them to an alcove, so I could take them on one at a time. Can they be defeated? Would I still get the chance to fight them, even if I promised to protect the good citizens? Those Jr. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on caffeine were fun.
It was nice to see my old friends, the deth/death knights, too. Good memories of being trapped in a dead-end hallway in (Chaos Strikes Back?) one of the DM installments.

Would I have been better off, just picking up a bunch of goodies (lots of gems) and trying to find this place later in the game?
"Wuuf's big brother"
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

I tend to ignore most helmets once I get a dexhelm.

You found the Altar of the Assault. I don't think you can win by standing your ground. All the invaders come from the north. The trick is to keep them separated. Deth knights, minotaurs, and greater orcs are the primary threats. I go north until I encounter them, and then retreat south while attacking them. This is a long battle, but it can be won. Once you enter this level you are commited to defeat all the monsters before you can exit. There are lots of goodies here from gems and wines to clothing. The copper purse is here as well.

It's funny that you killed the good citizens first. The way the level works is you can completely explore the area collecting all the items, and nothing will happen until you break into the library and visit the good citzens. When you move about that room they will eventually ask you to defend the city. At that point, a timer activates and when it reaches zero, the gates to the city are breached and the horde attacks. The fast monsters (orcs and goblins) attack first followed by the greater orcs and deth knights. After the first couple of rounds the minotaurs start arriving, but they are slow. Eventually the Sorceror will appear, he's tough. He drops a Zo potion when he dies and that technically ends the siege, but the game won't let you exit until all the monsters are dead. Once the horde is defeated, the good citizens will praise your victory and the exit will open(you get a free EE blessing to uncurse objects for winning). I typically also kill the citizens at this point (they all carry something).