Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Conflux III discussion thread - potential spoilers

Post by beowuuf »

Sorry no one else answered, I've never tried the points competition at all, let alone recently, and so don't know when this was broken. It's registered in the past. I've also just realised the egg chamber is the one on the spider level, NOT the one deeeeep underground qith the egg collecting. So I've certainly been in there and cleared it out before. Not sure what's happening there!

Anyway, congratulations on your epic feat!
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Congrats! I'll check the bugs you mention in a week, I'm currently too busy IRL!

EDIT: By the way, you managed to get the 4 guild leaders? Bravo, I think you're the first!
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Fixed some bugs in wip003.

FIXED:
Spoiler
- some item generators would not stop.
- water elemental level could be populated before entering it.
- sundrier bugs.
- any missile would cause an explosion.
- magic purses would reset after 30 items.
- killing the egg mothers wasn't giving a score point anymore.
The dd dungeon is not accessible anymore, it's just a failed experiment (bad gameplay).
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Thanks Beowuuf and Zyx.

I'll do my next run with wip003, but I just finished wip002. I took Gando as my guide for this round and ran into the same bugs I reported earlier. I wanted to see how far I could get with just one champion, and I was able to pretty much all of the challenge list except for Vecna's two points, two flasks, one teleport spell, the 15 point guild leader quests and all but one of the 10 point challenges(I killed Xanathar alone). I got to 79 points before adding guild leaders. Gando is stamina challenged, so I'd recommend trying Zed solo before him. Also, killing the gargoyle in The Sudden Death is extremely challenging alone, so although I was able to do it, you might want a full party before you try.

Pros:

I love the new nightmare music, although I always died in them as they only seamed to occur when I was a low level champion and without a vorple blade. The sewers, with new sounds and monsters, are more challenging in this version.

Neutral:

Gigglers and leprechauns are seamingly everywhere, so have spells ready before they take off with your stuff. One giggler took my weapon from my primary hand in the guilds and then hit the teleport pad! To add insult to injury, just as he teleported out, a group of vexriks teleported in and started lobbing fireballs and poison bolts at me. I killed them and later hunted the giggler down on the council level. So if you're like me and use the guilds to store all your items, don't place any items near the fountain or the teleport pad to the south of it.

Cons:

I don't know if this is fixed yet, but Aquantana is kind of broke in this version. I killed the coral crab with one 75 point hit, and after I picked up the coral poleyn, I was hit with non-stop 1 point poison bursts until I got up the stairs to the soap and water room. There were no monsters around attacking me at the time.

I've determined that the bug with the energize dead blast spores(DSA & PARAM @ non-existent parameter DSA at 16(8,24) row=1; col=1 DSA variable[0] used without having been assigned at value) has an interesting side-effect. After the bug hit, I pressed ok to suppress further warnings and just continued on as usual. After cleaning out the Apprentice level, I noticed I had gone up a wizard level(going from EE to PAL). Not long after that, I went from PAL to MON. It seams that once this bug hits, the wizard hidden water stat automatically increases by 1k/tick. It only stopped after I added three of the guild masters and completed Mophus's quest. Thus I was able to level Gando to Archmaster wizard with moderate spell use.

The flood is also kind of out of control in this version, with the bottom of pit D being completely under water even with the hidden pit near the onyx door open.

Minor spelling issues:

There are two spelling errors in the cerberus code. The cerberus groars at journeyman wizards; this probably should be roars. A cerberus does not like Artisan wizards(The cerberus wiggles and try to escape from you); this should be tries instead of try.

Notes:

There are 20 extra flasks that can be obtained(19 at Halk's ending and the Council
leader), but unless Zyx changes things, they do not give you points towards the challenge. Also, you will need at least 10 empty bags, at least two magic purses and Zed's horn, if you want to collect everything from the lab at Halk's ending.

I have a checklist of 86 unique items(even though there's 5 of one of them and two are not collectible). I can post my checklist if anyone is interested. The wiki does not list them all.

It would be intersting if anyone has any additional info on alchemy. I know how to obtain auric water, make sulfur and saltpetre.

If anyone needs any help with this dungeon, I can probably help with anything but the malficient ending. Finally, thank you Zyx for creating such a great replayable dungeon!
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

You're welcome. Thanks for the report/review, I will fix the bugs ASAP.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I haven't touched Conflux since v2 -- it seems to have grown into quite a beast since then!
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

And still grows, but slowly. I keep coming back at it - even if I really don't have time, as most of us now.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

@Phoenix: The poison bursts are how suffociation is mapped, so sounds like you were drowning!
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

beowuff,

While that might be true, the amount of time I was underwater was far less than the time I took in conflux_3.5B8. I went directly to the water riddle, solved it and then coral crab was right there. There are two warnings about drowning(you are running out of air and after that on you get you are suffocating) after that you get the poison bolt mini-cloud and sound. I didn't get either of those messages. I also made a mistake in my previous post. The spell effect I experienced was the unlock spell/phasing shower one(same sound as poison bolt/cloud). It only did one point of damage/tick, but it started immediately after I picked up the coral poleyn. In a previous game, in which I screwed up(I accidently threw an empty flask! For this reason, I advise only using flasks in the left non-weapon hand) and had to restart, I never even found the crab. In that attempt, the coral poleyn was just lying there on the floor out in the open.

I think I know now why the crab was so weak. There are certain pillars on that level that zap monsters that brush by them. So maybe the crab isn't regenerating between pillar hits. Also, after completing Mophus's quest it appears you are immune to drowning.
Bearserker
Neophyte

Post by Bearserker »

Hi !

I just discovered conflux III on my phone (conflux 3.5 beta8 was packaged with DM and CSB) and it seems great ! :D

At the moment, I'm searching alternative ways to open the guild doors.
I've found the alternative way to open the first wizard guild door and obviously the second fighter guild door.

Are some other guild doors skipable ? Which ones ?
I hate when I discover I've wasted many precious items on my savegames. :p
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Hmm...I know that the first wizard door can be opened with without a corbum, but I wasn't aware that you could skip the second fighter door. Depending on who you choose as your initial guide(s), it is possible to start with two staves with Zed and two corbums with Gando.

As for wasting guild items, don't worry about it. When you finish you should have at least 6-8 extra of each guild item after unlocking everything. Ninja is the easiest guild to completely open followed by Priest then Mage and finally Fighter. Guild items are weak in terms of weapon dammage. The throwing star does less damage than a rock.
Bearserker
Neophyte

Post by Bearserker »

Actually, because I love difficulty, and I find far funnier to play games in hard-mode, I've chosen to resurrect (not reincarnate) the Maleficient Guild heroes. :D
Consequently, I don't get free guild items an usual party get from the begining. That's why I try to economize them. :P

And because I already had to restart from the begining when I find a trick to buff them with two more dozen hp, I don't want to discover I would better restart once again...
But since I know the dungeon contains far more guild items than recquired, I'm comfortable.

Behind the second ninja door, a pressure plate is visible. I managed to throw items on it through the portcullis (which would be quite logical for a ninja guild) but unfortunately it doesn't seem to open anything.
Am I missing something, or is this plate unrelated with the door's opening ?

About the second fighter's guild door :
Spoiler
It's breakable with a good mace swing if you have at least about 65 str (so when you play the maleficient guild, you can break it after a quick grind in the sewers, as soon as you have collected about a fifteen-twenty snapdragons, according to your strongest heroe's strength ;))
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'm not aware of another bypass other than the two you've listed, but there can always be secrets not yet discovered :)

The plate is related to the puzzle beyond, and not to opening the door I'm afraid.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Bearserker wrote: Am I missing something, or is this plate unrelated with the door's opening ?
Unrelated, but it's a good idea, so next version may implement it.

Welcome to the forum!
Bearserker
Neophyte

Post by Bearserker »

Huhu thank you !

Actually it's even a bit more difficult than it seems.
The pressure plate is just behind the door, so most of items thrown through the portcullis reach the floor behind the pressure plate.
And some heavier items don't seem to pass through the portcullis.

With the low strength of the maleficient guildies, I managed to do that by throwing a weird item (I don't remember which one... Probably a steak :o)
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Yes, that's why it's the perfect test for ninjas.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Gambit37 wrote:I'm *really* gonna have to build a time machine so that I can play Conflux3. I only eve played 2 and then was never able to find the time to try the next version. It sounds like there is some amazing stuff in there now! :shock:
Coming back to this. The same is happening to me. Dozen of dungeons I'd like to play, but can't spend too much time on them. So I set a rule: second time I make a pause in my day, instead of checking again my emails, I open a csbwin dungeon - because they're fast loaded - and play 5mn, enough to solve a hard fight or a riddle, or explore a new zone.
Not all the dungeons are fit to this style, some are too loosely packed and boring, but at least I'm playing again.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

I was punching Chewers with Ghoul Touch in the Garden of Nostalgia. When I had last checked my stat was a green 140. The next time I check it was a red 2. I'd been punching for a while, so I only noticed it after checking my food and water levels. I saw the red box around your eye that indicates a stat change and that's when I saw the 2.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You could be poisoned or suffering a disease of course..some of those are really nasty. Somehting for Paul S to look at, or some extra protective code to be added to the DSA itself.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

I checked for illness, but none of the illness dialogs came up. Since potions are capped at 170, it's probably easy to cap this as well.

As far as illnesses go, Vecna's curse is the nastiest as you get all four diseases at once. I had to deal with it twice on my last run, because I had to go back to get her body and another item I forgot when I killed her. I save that task for last due to the other effects it has on the Crypt.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I tried punching with Ghoultouch for a while and couldn't reproduce the bug. Do you have a savegame?
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

I don't have the original, but I just tried again and it definitly wraps. It's not at 150 like I thought though. It's at 240. I'll email you before and after save games.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Fixed for next version.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Thank you for your work on the wiki.

I just tested with Golemsoul with a high level character and I immediately got stoneskin. Phoenix, could you send me a savegame?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

the dark area has a few parts that don't stay dark and at least one area where water prevents you from casting certain spells even though there is no water graphic on screen.
I can't reproduce this behavior.
Phoenix
Expert

Post by Phoenix »

Ok, I did some more testing, and if I left both the Phylacter of Protection and Golemsoul in my weapon hand for a few ticks, they would produce their effect. The effect didn't always immediately start as soon as I put them in my hand. I tested this on 3.5B8 and wip003. Testing Golemsoul with a newly resurected Zed produced the stoneskin effect after a few ticks, but not immediately. My windows box is really old so this might be a CPU speed thing.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Oh yes, because of the way the mechanism works, there may be a delay before the effect. Magic is not an exact science!
Christoph
Craftsman

Post by Christoph »

The hand you hold the phylacter in doesn't matter, but it seemed to me that a wielded weapon influences the delay. Can you confirm this or was it coincidence only?
Christoph
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Coincidence, I think.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Wiki discussion moved here.